Red Dwarf series 9 (or is it 10?) in 2012 confirmed by Craig Charles

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by firehawk12, Jan 22, 2011.

1. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

Re: Red Dwarf series 9 (or is it 10?) in 2012 confirmed by Craig Charl

Exactly! Remember, Bad Dwarf > most "good" TV.

2. Redshirt214

Redshirt214 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Huzzah! Dwarf is back! Now just to finish the last two series or so............................
    Although given that I'm an American, I have no idea how I'll watch it. Probably those "Leaked Video" they said they were worried about in the article !:lol:

3. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

The whole series is streaming on Netflix. I'm not sure about Back to Earth, but everything else is.

4. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

Given that it's a BBC worldwide production I would think it'll turn up on BBC America fairly soon after airing here, like Primeval is.

5. Pingfah

Pingfah Fleet Admiral Admiral

Bump rather than start a new thread. It seems this has gone unnoticed. The new series of Red Dwarf is now officially confirmed and its title is Red Dwarf Series X.

http://www.reddwarf.co.uk/news/2011/04/15/new-series-of-red-dwarf-confirmed/

Also mentioned is the fact they are hoping to have model effects, and shoot in front of a studio audience and that the episodes will be a full 30 minutes and broadcast in a 40 minute slot.

Although that bit about series X being technically correct (since BTE was series 9) is wrong, since in BTE they mentioned that series 9 had already aired, making BTE series 10 and this series 11 :p

Sadly, it won't air for another 16 months :(

6. 23skidoo

23skidoo Admiral Admiral

Does that mean it's going to have commercial breaks? That'll be weird.

Much as I'd like to see them keep the joke active, in the long run it's just too confusing for things like later syndication and DVD marketing. I'd have been happy to see it called Series IX, with BTE a standalone, but Series X works for me.

Wasn't Series XI supposed to be shot at the same time? I thought Charles had mentioned it.

I'm also curious to see if the complete original cast (including Chloe Annett, who I'm crushing on bigtime after watching Series VII and VIII again, along with her Doctor Who-inspired time travel detective series Crime Traveller) are involved, or if they plan to add some "new blood" as it were.

Alex

7. Pingfah

A hex on anyone who calls Chloe Annett a member of the original cast :p

If it were up to me i'd ask Clare Grogan to come back, she was much better.

8. Servo

Servo Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

But wasn't the statement that series 9 had already aired made as part of the joy squid's hallucination anyway, so can't really be considered to be true?

Yeah, that sucks.

9. Pingfah

Oh, yeah that is a good point. I'd actually forgotten it was all a hallucination, probably because they already did that idea 20 years ago :lol:

On the plus side though, at least it airs before the end of the world.

10. Pauln6

Pauln6 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

They should do a Roseanne thing with Claire and Chloe in the same episode. Actually, I quite like Chole's Kochanski. I think she gets a bit of stick because the show became a bit less anarchic and a bit more mainstream when she came on board but it was still hugely enjoyable. BTE was even more muted and needs a lot more zip but I don't think that the absence of Chloe would be an asset to an ongoing series any more than the absence of Kryten (who also wasn't in the original cast) would be. She does bring an additional dynamic that the writers can work with even if she has to play the 'straight man' much of the time. If anything they need to change up Rimmer and recapture more of his early general awfulness which was so funny.

11. Servo

Sweet. I get to see Batman, The Avengers, and new Red Dwarf. I'll be able to die happy ;)

I am interested to see what they do about Holly, though. Judging by his statements at the time Back to Earth aired, it's doubtful Lovett will sign on, so unless they can get Hattie Hayridge back, they're in a bit of a pickle. Unless they're just going to say the Skutters still haven't dried him out.

12. Pingfah

^ I could not work out if he was joking or not, it seemed very bitter.

Grogan had more of a minx thing going on, I found Annett's Kochanski to be too serious.

13. Pauln6

Pauln6 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In fairness, Chloe is from an alternate universe. It might be fun for 'our' universe's Kochanski to make an appearance and for Lister to pipe up that he hadn't realised before how little alike they look.

14. Servo

Yeah, I got the impression that he was genuinely annoyed about how the situation had been handled. Seems like it may have been a case of six of one, half a dozen of the other though. Naylor probably should have been more forthcoming about whether Lovett would get a part, and Lovett probably should have been a bit more patient and less demanding when asking. Either way, unless something has changed over the last 18 months, I can't see him appearing in the new series.

15. Ar-Pharazon

I had wondered somewhere (this thread or another) if the nanobots had reincarnated the "pile of albino mouse droppings" that was the original Kochanski.

16. Holdfast

Holdfast Fleet Admiral Admiral

Red Dwarf lost its mojo when Rob Grant left and never recovered, despite a brief flicker of life in a few scenes of Series VIII. I couldn't bear the underlying concept of Back to Earth, so have still only seen partial scenes of it. Can't say I feel I've missed anything interesting.

I'll probably tune in to a new proper series though. Provided it's set in deep space on the mining ship Red Dwarf, empty apart from the old core cast playing Lister, Rimmer, Kryten and Cat. I don't mind if Kochanski is there or not, though. Her inclusion would be OK. Holly can be played by either Lovett or Hayridge, I don't care.

Most importantly, Doug Naylor just cannot write Red Dwarf on his own, or in a large majority role. That's probably my biggest reservation about the new series. He just lacks the more acerbic bite of Rob Grant's sharper sense of humour. Naylor seems good with concepts and his humour comes across as different/softer which is fine some of the time but Dwarf also needs edge.

PS. Pingfah: Claire Grogan's understandably lost that youthful minxyness these days. More naughty suburban mum. Still wouldn't complain, though, she still looks pretty great... :devil:

17. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

18. Cutter John

Cutter John Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

19. Holdfast

Holdfast Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm glad they're going to have an audience; the laughter really does add something to the seasons they used one in. I know it's not a particularly popular opinion to like a laugh track, but a good one makes the world of positive difference to how a show comes across.

20. Ar-Pharazon

Yeah, BtE and the parts of S8 without any laugh track or audience seemed really forced of the parts of the actors.

Added to the fact those eras of the show weren't as good as the earlier ones, I prefer the laughter of a live audience. Now we hope it's funny enough to make the people laugh.