Hit a dog on hwy...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by CaptainJack, Nov 11, 2013.

1. CaptainJack

CaptainJack Lieutenant Commander

Let me explain exactly what happened. I was driving on a local rural highway. It was about 9:40 at night so it was totally dark. I'm driving and I didn't even see anything and then I heard a sound comming from my front passenger side. I figured I must have run into something so I pulled over. That's when I figured out what had happened. The poor dog was dead instantly. But it also took out my passenger side front bumper and the side part that kinda wraps around.
    So it happened right out in the middle if the road. I do feel bad even having to ask for money to repair my 6 month old 2013 Subaru Imprezza. But I didn't make the dog go after my tires. I didn't leave it out without a leash or electric fence. But now I have to be the "Bad" guy and ask this lady to pay a couple thousand to fix my car.

2. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

Well, I assume you have insurance which will pay to fix it, but as you noted, you'd have to pay a deductible and will increase your rates because it is a claim being paid against your policy.

If you want to recoup the money, you'll likely have to sue the owner.

It's not an idea situation for anyone, but it is what it is.

3. CaptainJack

CaptainJack Lieutenant Commander

Yes, I have Progressive. Which is just a little bit better than nothing... I don't want to claim anything on MY insurance. The police report says it was the dogs owner who is at fault. So if anything, it should go on the homeowners policy.
    I strongly DO NOT recommend #Progressive insurance. They only want to collect their money. When I told them that I was told that they are supposed to go after the dogs owner they said they don't do that at progressive.

4. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

If you can afford it, I think it's time to consult an attorney then. Sorry you're faced with all of this.

5. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

The problem is there is no other insurance to collect it on. Legally, neither the homeowner's insurance nor their auto insurance policy is involved, since it didn't happen on their property and it didn't involve their car.

I was wrong when I said your insurance would take care of recouping from the pet owner. Given the circumstances, they are liable, but their insurance isn't.

If you want your car fixed, get it fixed under your auto insurance, or pay for it out of your own pocket. Either way, once you've done that, you can sue the pet owner to recover your damages. Their pet caused it, you have a police report to that effect, so it shouldn't be too tough a case. It's just a matter of whether you want to go through the trouble.

6. Green Shirt

Green Shirt Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

They sound like the typical business. We can get lost as long as we keep sending the money. :thumbdown:

7. Lindley

Lindley Moderator with a Soul Premium Member

That's the same thing Allstate did when a guy changed lanes into me a couple of years ago. Fortunately, I had his insurance info, but I still made the claim through mine. They took my deductible, got the work done, and then fought it out with the other insurance company. About six months later I got my deductible back. No rate increases since I wasn't at fault.

If it's covered as a collision event, it could increase his rates. If it's covered as a comprehensive event, it won't. If the animal had been a deer instead of a dog, it almost certainly would be treated as comprehensive. I'm not sure what they do with dogs.

8. Captain Ice

Captain Ice Cookie Constructor Admiral

Getting Captain Ice on to the naughty list
    I'm sorry that you have a negative image of Progressive Insurance. I had such a positive experience filing a claim against one of their policyholders that, when my insurance came up for renewal, I switched to them.

They not only had an appraiser look at the damage to my car, but the appraiser handed me the keys to a rental car, delivered my car to the repairing shop, and then, when i was unhappy with the repair, they arranged to have it done again.

Oh, and my original appointment with the appraiser was at 6:00pm on a Friday night.

9. Brolan

Brolan Commodore Commodore

I had a good experience with Progressive too. When I was rear-ended at an intersection they made it very easy for me to come to their claims center, drop off my car, pick up a rental while it was being repaired, and come back later and pick it up. Couldn't have been easier.

10. Peach Wookiee

Peach Wookiee Cuddly Mod of Doom Moderator

Maybe it depends on where you are.

11. Yoda

Yoda Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's amazing how negligent some pet owners are. I mean, I can almost understand shitty parents because hey, some people have kids as accidents. But it seems like you actually have to make the decision to acquire a pet.

12. Alpha Romeo

Alpha Romeo Vice Admiral Admiral

You can get a lawyer and sue them. That will get it kicked in. Also, like another poster said, go through your own insurance and then they will go after the homeowner in subrogation. Good luck!

13. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't think we've heard anything to establish that the owners were grossly negligent. Maybe the dog was inside, a door wasn't fully closed, and it heard a cat outside, decided to run after it, and that's how it all went down? Maybe the owners are lousily irresponsible, but maybe it was an innocent accident that could happen to just about anyone.