Spock's child - yay or nay?

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by mythme, Sep 23, 2013.

1. mythme

mythme Commodore Commodore

I've been thinking, it was long-speculated although never confirmed nor disproven that the reason Saavik remain on Vulcan in STIV was that she was pregnant with Spock's child, having conceived during STIII after helping the regenerated Spock relieve his pon farr.

If a new series came along set in the prime timeline, how would you all feel about a character being Spock's offspring? By the llate 24th century, they would be about 120; middle-aged for a Vulcan. It might provide a nostalgic link to TOS and might also cement the cryptic line in "Sarek" about Lt. Picard attending Sarek's "son's wedding" (to Saavik?)

Or would this be a dumb idea, or maybe just redundant, having yet another Vulcan following Tuvok and T'Pol?

2. Maestro

Maestro Vice Admiral Admiral

Wasn't one of the other "Saavik is pregnant" theories that she was pregnant with David's child?

3. SolitaryJustice

SolitaryJustice Lieutenant Red Shirt

It would have to be prime universe. Abrams-verse never had the genesis planet, thus no dead Spock, and no Saavik or David Marcus yet. Just throwing some facts out.

4. David.Blue

David.Blue Commander Red Shirt

I personally don't have a problem with it. Vulcans helped found the Federation and are relatively common. Even in TOS the entire crew of USS Intrepid were Vulcans, while we've seen Vulcan admirals, captains, scientists, diplomats, even at least one Vulcan Maquis!

5. SolitaryJustice

They're everywhere, but not after Nero! (Too soon?) But seriously, in the Abrams-verse, I wouldn't say it would be super likely that you would see Vulcans everywhere. They would be an "endangered species". (Blatant throwback, Abrams-Style.)

6. David.Blue

I think you've already made the point this cannot be Abrams' alternate timeline.

7. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

I pray to whatever benevolent deity that when Trek returns to TV it is in the Prime Universe. A child/descendant of Spock wouldn't be a bad thing, I'm pretty sure when they were first starting to create TNG they planned on having Spock's grandchild on the crew as, like the OP said, a direct connection between the series.

It would only work in the Prime Universe, otherwise it might be a Spock/Uhura baby, which would make it obnoxious and unstable--poor kid.

8. SolitaryJustice

Beautiful, and well-played.

9. Bry_Sinclair

Zachary Quinto is very attractive, but Zoe Saldana isn't a great actress.

10. David.Blue

I've no objection to a Spock/Uhura offspring either, in the Abrams TL (which I have some problems with but might make a good "setting" anyway).

11. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Boy between NuSpock's emoness and NuUhura's mood swings, that kid's gonna make the Kardashians look stable.

12. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Sounds terrible. Sorry.

13. SolitaryJustice

It would be cool if Spock and Uhura had a kiddo that grew up and ultimately sacrificed himself to restore the timeline... give it the whole emotional bonding to a character that gets Jossed.

14. R. Star

Why would the kid want to sacrifice himself to restore a timeline that never existed? Maybe if things get even more fubared in the altverse I could see that being an option, but Picard said it well in Yesterday's Enterprise.

"Who's to say this history is any less proper than the other?"

That was even when he lived in a messed up universe. But really even if NuTrek is a pale imitation of the prime verse in my opinion, it needs to define itself as it's own rather than just tying back into the prime universe at every opportunity. Jest let Spock Prime die of old age or something and get on with telling their story... hopefully one that isn't a rehash of something already done before.

15. SolitaryJustice

What if Baby Spock learned from his father that "The needs of the many outweighed the needs of the few... or the one" and knew, somehow, BELIEVED (letting an emotion into a Vulcan-disciplined mind) that there was a way to save life in our galaxy, and that wasn't to assassinate a leader or begin a rebellion, it was to go find a random (yet coincidentally (and conveniently) not SO random) point in time where changing one thing can prevent assimilation and repression from taking over all life in the entire galaxy? I'd say that'd be an interesting storyline if set in the backdrop of a dark survivalist world of a galactic war between the Borg and the Dominion in an Abrams-Verse future, hundreds of years from the current stardate.

16. R. Star

I think you're entering the realm of fanfiction, sir. ;)

17. Bry_Sinclair

To get away from his whinging mother :lol:

18. David.Blue

I think the whole idea of Spock's child by either Saavik or Uhura is just fine--depending upon what you do with it.

Somehow restoring one or the other timeline seems to me the kind of story that would only appeal to certain hardcore fans, leaving everyone else wondering what the hell is going on? Essentially it reads like a (possibly very good) piece of fan fiction rather than something intended for a general audience (although to be sure the two are not mutually exclusive).

What kind of person is this child? Where did they call home? How do they feel about Starfleet, the Federation, their parents? Describe their personality in some way and you might get my interest.

Conversely you might ask--which Vulcan or seeming Vulcan we've met already might actually be this offspring? Admiral Savar, for example? Sokanna? Might Vorick be Spock's grandson?

19. Commishsleer

Commishsleer Commodore Commodore

This has got to happen.

I've been waiting 20 years for this. Bring it on!

That's why Saavik stayed behind on Vulcan to have the baby and keep it secret from Spock. She doesn't want Spock to know what he did. Looks like I'm writing the fanfiction story right here. :lol:

20. SolitaryJustice

I've spent a lot of time grooming my idea for a series. I know in my head it won't ever be THE idea that saves Star Trek, but I feel like Sisko in "Far Beyond The Stars", my idea is REAL! And I CREATED IT!

I think if a story were told, the emphasis wouldn't necessarily even have to be "fixing the timeline" as much as it would be "saving the galaxy", and you find out toward the end that what's happening is actually a restoration of the timeline. What this does is gives you at least three very cool things: first, it gives you a new set of characters to explore, do all the good Trek work. Second, it gives you a great overall environment for places and aliens to check out. And lastly, even if just for a few seconds, if done right, it gives you a chance to see the new Kirk and Company in the old school uniforms on the old school bridge of the old school Enterprise, which, despite how contrived that may be, if done right, would be the thing that secretly we all want to see. Just for a second.

If this child of Spock were to be in the new Verse, he would be a refugee. Vulcan is gone. Earth is still there, but Kahn did some damage to Earth. Are the Klingons going to be at war with us in ST3? What's going to happen 100 years from now? 200? If Spock-hura grows up in that universe, would he be more Human than Vulcan instead of the formula of more Vulcan than Human? Would he be emotional? Would he be a warrior, a philosopher, a doctor?