DS9 on blu-ray -- What can we do?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by GNDN, Aug 19, 2013.

1. GNDN

GNDN Commodore Commodore

Loving TNG on blu-ray in spite of any little glitches here and there and I've mostly avoided watching any SD Trek lately.

Went to introduce DS9 to a new fan and the quality difference is (obviously) great on a 54" hdtv between the TNG BD and DS9 DVD

So what's a Niner to do? The TNG remastering project is more than 1/2 way thru, and we know CBS wants to here from us that there's a demand for DS9. What is the most effective form of persuasion we have at our disposal? Hand written letters? Email onslaught? Online petition??

Let's get the buzz going so CBS doesn't lose the incredible momentum being generated by the TNG remaster. I'll admit it, I've become an HD snob and I really really want to see DS9 in full 1080p glory!! :klingon:

DS9forever likes this.
  2. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

You're already doing the number one thing that will make it happen. Buying TNGR. Keep those sales coming, and DS9 will follow... :)

3. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

Sell your pagh to the Pah-Wraiths! :)

4. DS9forever

DS9forever Commodore Commodore

I've been going through old magazines and adding information from interviews in them to Memory Alpha's DS9 episode pages; it's a good way of showing how loved DS9 is.

5. jazzstick

jazzstick Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

What I would do is hold your breath, run around in a circle and slam your head against the wall untill it comes out! Worked for me and TNG!

LOL!!!!!

Why I laugh???

6. trekker670

trekker670 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

A quote from Roger Lay, Jr on StarTrek.com, if you read between the lines and squint hard enough, makes it sound like CBS does want to update the entire Star Trek franchise into HD

While this doesn't necessarily mean they'll give DS9 (or VOY) the same loving treatment TNG is getting, I think that's everyone's hope and would be the best way for them to future-proof the franchise.

7. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

The first 2seasons of DSN would not be much more difficult that what they are doing for TNG so they could try doing those to see if sales warrant the more complex process of re-rendering all the CGI from later seasons. But according to some reports some of it still exists, some of the CGI moderls were over build. So it's not beyond the realms of possibility. Depends on the bean counters

8. USS KG5

USS KG5 Vice Admiral Admiral

This.

CBS know very well that DS9 can expect to sell probably half the amount of TNG (possibly pessimistic), both on blu ray and in sales to stations, netflix etc. It just wasn't as popular, so they will take the TNG sales, halve them, and that will be either a yay or nay.

I would expect at this point it is seriously being considered, and they will need to decide soon. If they want to keep the momentum going they will need to have DS9 S1 out for the end of 2014 (expecting TNG S6 and S7 as early and mid 2014 releases respectively, we already know we get S5 in November).

The other thing to consider is that Trek becomes an extensive high-definition library post-remaster, that can be sold essentially indefinitely. This might drag up any forecasts based on pessimistic estimates of Blu Ray sales.

Expect to hear a decision early next year, I'd say at this point it is 50/50.

9. jimbotron

jimbotron Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

DS9 and Voyager will absolutely happen. While Blu-ray sales are nice, the money made off those are a drop in the bucket compared to future revenues. These will live on for decades through services like Hulu. Netflix, Amazon, etc. Crummy old DVD transfers just won't do.

Heck, if The Dick Van Dyke Show can get a Blu-ray release, surely DS9 and Voyager will too. ;)

10. trekker670

While I don't disagree with you, it's important to note how much more work is required to make DS9 and VOY worthy of any type of HD release.

11. jimbotron

jimbotron Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I would also add that Enterprise BD sales are important too. Thankfully for CBS, that one was practically Blu-ray ready, meaning there is relatively low cost, mostly profit, so it can support lower sales. Hopefully TNG and ENT sales (I'm assuming TNG sales are much higher than ENT) encourages CBS to pull out the stops. TNG Season 2 should have shown CBS that cutting corners is a bad idea.

12. trekker670

If it's any indicator, currently listed in Amazon's top 100 bluray sales, 9 of them are Star Trek. 6 being TV shows, 4 TNG and 1 ENT plus the TOS boxset which is on sale this week.

13. SpHeRe31459

SpHeRe31459 Captain Captain

Right.

Dick Van Dyke is quite easy to make available in HD, there is no VFX to speak of, anything was done in camera and/or simple wipes, etc. processed directly onto the film. It simply gets scanned at 1080p and put through a scratch/dirt clean up and B&W contrast stabilization routine.

The fact that sitcoms have essentially zero VFX is also why NBC relatively quickly and easily turned out Seinfeld and Friends into HD syndication packages back around 2007-ish. Since all the footage was filmed with 35mm cameras, and edited together traditionally on film, the only thing that needed to be recreated was the title sequences, which were originally added as the final step of post-production on SD video. Since everything of the episode is on the completed 35mm, film scanning the episodes into a 1080p video editing workflow and then recreating the titles in the HD workflow is a relatively trivial (if tedious) matter.

I want DS9 on BD as bad as anyone, but you have to be realistic about the huge workload it will take, just like TNG before it (plus more when you get the seasons with CGI).

Last edited: Aug 22, 2013
  14. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

I assume you're being tongue-in-cheek here, but it's worth pointing out that The Dick Van Dyke Show is a rather important, influential, and popular sitcom. Looking at other sitcoms from the same era, it is no surprise that few have been given an HD restoration, and fewer still are available on home video.

I'm kind of shocked I Love Lucy hasn't been given the HD treatment yet. Judging from the DVDs, the negatives are in (for the most part) terrific shape.

CBS is certainly likely to keep putting out their back catalog of Star Trek in HD. Even though the remaining two shows aren't as popular as their predecessors, they still have a lot more value than equivalent sf shows from the period, on account of the staying power of the Star Trek brand.

15. Data girl

Data girl Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I would like to see some of DS9 on the big screen

16. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

As awesome as that would be... doubt it will happen. It's questionable if we'll even get another TNG promotional screening, which was way more popular than DS9.

17. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

Yeah, it's not even close:
    That post from Scotty, BTW, comes from this thread, the top of page 30.

18. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Also to be fair, with the current econmic climate people might not have a large amount of free cash and if I could only afford one I would go for TNG. ENT also has the disadvantage that it might not be as well known in the UK. Didin't it air on CH5 or something. Unlike TOS/TNG/DSN who aired on BBC at 18:00.

19. The Caretaker

The Caretaker Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

As much as I love the TNG Blu Ray releases, if I could choose I would have had DS9 on Blu Ray over all the other series. Probably a Trek faux-pas to admit, but I don't care! ;)

20. USS KG5

USS KG5 Vice Admiral Admiral

I wouldn't worry I expect a lot of people agree with you!

The most puzzling thing is a total lack of solid news, though the hints are leaning towards hearing a thumbs up early next year.