Star Trek London - All 5 captains to be there!

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by The Janitor, Apr 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Admiral Bear

Admiral Bear Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Sorry, forgot Daphne Ashbrook. I suppose she was one of the bigger-ish guests.

Over at Shamasters, "rescheduled" is the new cancellation. Joiner tried this little stunt the other year with a load of Klepto cancellations moving across to LFCC. If memory serves, most of them were then cancelled properly a week or so before LFCC.

As usual he's desperate not to give refunds. Debit/credit card chargeback is clearly the way to go here for anyone needing a refund regardless of whether they're going to LFCC or not.

2. Sagart

Sagart Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Just for a change of pace on here ( and let's face it, it's a long time to October), would anyone like to share their best ST Con experiences?

3. AxelFoley

AxelFoley Commander Red Shirt

Naming it a "Guest reschedule" annoys me a little bit, since they make it sound as if it's just a minor inconvenience, when it's disastrous for so many of us. Not all people can choose to meet the rescheduled guests at LFCC instead of Collectormania.

4. Admiral Bear

On a slightly related aside, Treble Ace Events, they of the much maligned Greatest Show in the Galaxy, appear to have gone bust according to rumours on Twitter.

The Twitter pages for the event and that of Mark Ambler have also been taken down.

The only remaining question is how much money this unsavoury mob owes to how many people.

5. Rarewolf

Rarewolf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Not the least surprised, as the saying goes if something is too good to be true, it usually is. As I said most people I know who went had only minor complaints, mainly because they were getting such good deals.

The worst thing is Jason will paint himself the hero even more.

6. Admiral Bear

One of the elephant in the room questions for me was always if Ambler was legitimate, why hadn't Joiner spent months trying to put him out of business?

I suspected Joiner either knew or suspected what a few of us had thought for ages.

Ambler was either an incompetent nutjob or a typical conman. History will decide. I had him down as a fraudster from minute one. The evidence was all there.

Last edited: May 31, 2012
  7. kehlan

kehlan Cadet Newbie

you should be very careful about making false accusations. As of today, Treble Ace are still registered as active on the companies register. It is also slanderous/libellous to call the organiser a con man.
    I was at Treble Ace, they allowed us to run a stall there for Macmillan Cancer support and were a great group to work with. In no way do you have any grounds to accuse them of anything illegal and I strongly suggest you retract that accuation.
    Jason Joiner could learn a heck of a lot from their attitude! ITs also noteworthy that he is spreading rumours about them, of course he has NO reason at all to want them to fail, does he? He really loves having competition. His track record speaks for itself. If you choose to believe him then thats your problem.

8. Admiral Bear

Erm. .do you have any idea of what happened there on Sunday from the moment the doors opened? I don't think you do. It was called advertising fraud with a big F. I suggest you look on the GSITG Facebook page at some of the comments threatening Treble Ace with Trading Standards (while the page is still there that is.)

Of course Joiner spreads rumours to try and put people out of business, although rumours are preferable to actually poaching other organisers guests after contracts have been signed. The one thing even I have to give him credit for is his ability to actually remain (just about and most of the time) on the right side of being legal.

And it's one the guests from GSITG who tweeted this morning that TA had gone bust. Joiner's nowhere to be seen on this one.

I suggest you be careful about who you defend, especially as you've associated a large national cancer charity with an event, the organiser of which appears to have run off with quite a lot of people's money.

9. kehlan

kehlan Cadet Newbie

What advertising fraud? would you like to back up your accusations? I was there both days, running a fundraising stall, I didnt see any trouble, nor did anyone else I spoke to on the day. We raised almost £400 for our charity, so please dont try to accuse me of anything.
    I am defending no-one, but in this country you are innocent until proven guilty. I do not know if the event was a financial success or not (and as of an hour or so ago, they were still listed as active on the companies register, which is usually pretty up to date.) but I heard nothing about any fraud nor did I hear any visitors to the show say anything bad about it so quite what you are talking about happening on sunday I do not know. ... the general consensus was that there was a mess up with the queuing system on the saturday and I beleive there was a problem with the card machines. That is hardly the same as the fraud you are accusing them of. If any crime has been committed, I assume the police will be involved and will investigate. You should not be judging them on rumours spread by the competition, who incidentally got thrown out of the event for snooping round private areas. The only evidence of fraud that I have seen is your acusations on this forum and I'm just pointing out that you should be very careful about accusing people of criminal activity without evidence to back up your claims.
    Edited to add that Ive just been and had a look at their facebook page, apart from the odd comment beginning to appear spreading the rumours theyve gone bust, I cant see anything negative on there, just lots of people sayaing how much they enjoyed it... maybe there is more than one facebook page?

10. kehlan

kehlan Cadet Newbie

Admiral Bear, Ive been thinking about this since last night and would really like to know what did happen on the sunday, because I was there before the doors opened and was still there after the public had left, and I didnt see what happened, if anything. Nobody I know was aware of any problems either, to the point where its like you and I are talking about completely different events.
    I chatted with the general public on the day and heard nothing but good things said, apart from some complaints about queues and cash points the day before. I know all the other charity groups who attended and none of them are aware of any trouble, nor were the dealers I chatted to as I know some of them. At the end of the event, I was chatting with some of the guests, including John Barrowman, Colm Meany and Chase Masterson to name just a few... they all seemed to be in a good mood, if a little tired, and enjoying the event... John Barrowman even contacted us afterwards to ask if he could have the photos we took of him with chase Masterson for his website. (We said yes, of course)
    The organisers also seemed to be in a good mood at the end of the event and looking forward to the next one. I dont know if they made enough money, and I dont know if they really have gone bust, although the companies websites indicates not.
    there has been nothing on the Treble Ace facebook page about trading standards, just loads of comments about what a good time everyone had. I understand someone tweeted that they went bust. As I said, I dont know if its true, but I'm hoping its wrong. Certainly I have seen no evidence of the fraud you allege took place. I do think you should be very careful about spreading things like that. If they are true then your posts could have an affect on any resulting court case and if false you could be done for slander/libel and will have to live with the fact you falsely smeared someone's good name... and for what? Do you want Treble Ace to fold? The only person who benefits if this is true is Joiner. If this event is a genuine success it is a massive threat to him and he is well aware of this. You have a choice... to wait and see what happens or spread rumours based on gossip.

11. Steve1960

Steve1960 Ensign Newbie

I have already bought my tickets for star trek London. And I have just checked out the excel London web site and the convention is booked for that weekend.

12. AxelFoley

AxelFoley Commander Red Shirt

Well, I'm back from having met Nichelle. She was absolutely lovely and very approachable. We chatted a bit and she was very touched that I had come all the way from Sweden to meet her. She especially liked my Uhura t-shirt I was wearing and complimented it on more than one occassion. Got three autographs and two photos with her, also enjoyed the Star Trek talk with her, Michael Dorn and two others.

All in all a lovely weekend. Only bad thing I can say is that it was cold as hell, especially on the Saturday.

13. Admiral Bear

I think it's become accepted amongst quite a few long term attendees that the enviromental conditions in that awful stadium are having an adverse effect on guest availability. Sticking a 90 yr old guest out in the cold and then having everyone see him get carted off to hospital, isn't the best publicity.

Back on topic, it seems that Media 10 have slightly lessened the "history" of having all 5 Trek TV Captains on stage at the same time, since they were all on stage at Wizard Con in Philly at the weekend! :lol: Oh dear, and this was all going soooooo well.

Website says 10 guest announcements from today until the end of the week. My money's on Frakes since it looks like he might've cancelled LFCC.

14. Rarewolf

The first two are Walter Koenig & Arlene Martel

15. NCC-1701-B

NCC-1701-B Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Seriously? Great now LFCC is going to be a massive waste of money. Already lost Tim Russ...

And I could never afford DSTL, even the VIP pass doesn't get you the captains autographs... It's just way too expensive. Also it doesn't help with it being in london, if it was in birmingham in the middle of the country that would make way more sense.

16. Kinggodzillak

Kinggodzillak Captain Captain

I started wondering about Frakes when he wasn't featured on the ad that appeared in the latest DWM. Elizabeth Dennehy was on there, so there was no reason he shouldn't have been. Braced for the worst, cos without him I've not really got much reason to go. Except a £35 Jeri Ryan photoshoot ticket I bought back in Jan, before she was announced for Peterborough...

17. Rarewolf

AFAIK with Frakes its just that he isn't mentioned on the latest flyers. Might just be an oversight.

If not its pretty damning to have him still on the site; they can't say they didn't know, since their own print would say otherwise!

As for London it is the logical choice.

A) easier to attract foreign visitors, more flight options
    B) a lot of fans in London are less keen to travel to events outside their precious M25.
    C) Whilst geographically the midlands are central, London is the central hub of all public transport. Its fine when you are on the same side of London as the event, but otherwise the journey often requires crossing London anyway!

She was announced for Peterborough first, its just it wasn't as well promoted at the time.

18. Admiral Bear

You can't seriously expect anything else? This could explain the lack of the very obvious Frakes/Dennehy photoshoot being advertised.. . .No, that's just giving Joiner far too much credit. He'd want the money. Anyway, he seems to know so little about Star Trek, I doubt he even knows Frakes and Dennehy starred together in TBOBW.

I hope the quality of the guest announcements improve pretty quickly. At these ticket prices, I'm fully expecting James Darren and a band doing a gig in a full recreation of Vic's Lounge.

19. Rarewolf

Has anyone even asked for one yet? I'd never thought of that despite being obvious, but then I don't do photoshoots.

Besides group photoshoots are pretty new for the group, AFAIK there wasn't a Dorn/Plakson one. Which is just as obvious, surely?

20. Kinggodzillak

Kinggodzillak Captain Captain

I'm still annoyed there was no Auberjonois/Visitor one at TGSITG. That's the shoot I'd want more than any other...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.