Teen Titans TV Show coming?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by kirk55555, Sep 12, 2014.

1. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/09/11/tnt-developing-teen-titans-tv-show-with-nightwing-in-the-lead

This could be interesting, although I don't know enough about TNT to know if they'd be willing to do a good Superhero show, or if its more likely to be teen drama with super powers.

2. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

This would have to go in the 'Reserve Judgement' folder, particularly with Akiva Goldsman involved (curiously enough, he wrote both of the only big screen films to feature Dick Grayson, not counting the 1966 Batman movie). But if they're aiming for the camp and light-hearted vein of the enjoyable cartoon Teen Titans, his came style wouldn't be as unwelcome as it would if he were to be announced as the writer of the next Batman film.

WB is building up quite the TV franchise here. Other than Flash and Arrow, I wonder how inter-connected those shows will be?

3. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

And DC still won't be able to put together a joined-up film/TV universe...

4. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

^I think they've made a conscious decision not to connect their TV and film universes. There will probably be some degree of connectivity between the TV shows (certainly Arrow and Flash) and between the films.

5. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

I found this a week ago. Then I downloaded 2 years worth of promotional material that was supposed to prime me for the first episode.

[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVPYWCrHLJM[/yt]

If the TV show is green lit, the firsty thing DC is going to do is tell these people to pack up their #### and #### off.

I suppose animation rights are different, or will their deal with Cartoon Network for Titans Go! lapse?

6. Icemizer

Icemizer Commodore Commodore

This show will suffer from the same problem as Birds of Prey. We want to see the big hitters not the teen sidekicks. Still good writing can save most things so there is still hope.

7. Guy Gardener

To some of us, the Teen Titans are big hitters.

Every knows who Robin is, and now we get to him mac on an alien princess.

Result!

8. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

Before the reboot, most of the Teen Titans had taken over for their namesakes at least at one point.

9. Guy Gardener

Because they were so old!

10. Mister Fandango

Mister Fandango Fleet Captain

I just don't find any appeal in "teen superheroes" at all. It just shatters my suspension of disbelief too much.

Sure, Robin has the benefit of being cool to a certain degree (sometimes), but even his existence is ridiculous considering who and what Batman is. If he wasn't such a huge part of the mythos, there's no way the modern take on Batman would have taken a sidekick, let alone a kid.

11. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Worked okay for the X-Men.

12. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Not having "big hitters" wasn't what was wrong with 'Birds of Prey', it was weak writing, low production values and an unwillingness to fully commit to the idea of a superhero show.
    They also needed a better gimmick for Huntress than "her eyes go all catlike sometimes because her mum was Catwoman."

Aside from my distaste for the Burton, quasi-supernatural meta-human version of Selina Kyle, it didn't make a whole lot of sense, nor did it seem to even add anything beyond a paper thin excuse to call her self "Huntress".

As for a 'Teen Titans' show....I don't know, could easily be very bad. Like all the worst things about Smallville multiplied by a factor of five.

Also, between Arrow, Flash and now Gotham they're rather saturating the market. On the other hand it could be worth it just to see how they deal with live action versions of Raven and Starfire...

13. kirk55555

I've liked a lot of the pre-reboot Teen Titans comics, and stuff like the old teen Titans cartoon (NOT the TT Go! version) and Young Justice were excellent, so I think teen heroes can be done right. I think a live action version could work, but making it just another teen drama would probably sink it. If they were to have a balance and not shy away from having superhero stuff, I think a Teen Titans live action show could be great. It could also easily be early Smallville (the high school years specifically) but worse, or just another teen angsty drama, but until we learn more I'm excited by this news.

14. urbandefault

urbandefault Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I was on board until they showed Batman. That cowl ruined it, and the guy trying to not breathe through his mouth didn't help. :lol:

Birds of Prey was so long ago, and I saw so few episodes, it's hard for me to remember. I liked the concept, but it was gone before I could really get into it.

15. Guy Gardener

It's just so hard to pin down which "era" of Titans I want.

I do not like that Cyborg is in the JLA.

It opens the door to a Teen Titans version of someone who should be int he Titans.

"Kid-Cyborg"

(I just vomited a little.)

Although... Deathlocket (13 year old girl, version of Deathlock.) turned out weirdly entertaining.

16. kirk55555

I think I'd want a version of that is influenced a lot by The New Teen Titans era.

Dick Grayson (as Nightwing, so he doesn't need to be connected to Batman)
    Cyborg
    Raven
    Starfire (although I can't see them painting an actress orange everyday for a show, and I wouldn't want her "camouflaged as a human, so she may not work)
    Beast Boy
    Donna Troy (She doesn't need a WW connection, she honestly barely had one at times depending on what origin they were using in any particular year)

I think another character might be a good idea, but Aqualad, Speedy and Kid Flash are pretty much out. In an extra slot (or a replacement for Starfire or Donna Troy) I think they could do well with Miss Martian (easier for her to look human most of the time than Starfire). Static could also be interesting, or someone like Jericho or Ravager if they want a Deathstroke connection on the team. Artemis (the Young Justice version, not the Amazon) could give them an archer, but she's pretty obscure. They could also use Terra for a season and end the season with something like her comic story arc, although they might not want that in a first season.

17. Guy Gardener

Orange is not a problem.

Have you been to Jersey recently?

50 Shades of Orange.

18. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

Re: Teen Titans TV Show coming?http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t

Or it could have all the best about Smallville. I could easily see a Smallville style version of the Titans, complete with Teen Angst working very well and still be faithful to the spirit of the characters.

One of the things that made the New Titans work was Wolfman's take on teen problems. Wally was in love with Raymond; Dick, Victor, and Raven all had serious parenting issues; Donna had to prove herself; and Gar was the sensitive guy hiding behind bravado. Put them in a High School setting and give Kori some decent contact lenses to blend in and it could be the next Vampire Diaries (in terms of popularity).

If you think about it, a lot of the teen shows are just super-heroes in disguise anyway. Roswell, the Secret Circle (secret ring?), Vampire Diaries, Teen Wolf, the Hunger Games etc.

The concept is perfect for what is popular right now--but it would depend on the production.

19. Guy Gardener

Did Kori ever try to fake it as a human?

I remember her doing a modelling shoot with her massive green eyes exposed to the camera right at the beginning.

Arisa modelled as well.

What did Katma Tui do for walking around money?

US Immigration sent out a questionnaire for extraterrestrials near the end of Giffen's run on the JLI, which included the question "Have you ever knowingly or unknowingly eaten Human flesh?"

Last edited: Sep 13, 2014
  20. kirk55555

She never really tried to fake it from what I remember. She'd sometimes wear sunglasses, but she modeled without them, and jokes about fake tans aside she was definitely a nonhuman orange. I think her being so casual about it made it a non issue for her :shrug: