Stargate: Universe: Too soon?

Discussion in 'Stargate' started by blockaderunner, Sep 5, 2008.

1. blockaderunner

blockaderunner Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

We've all seen what happened to Trek when TPTB started up ENT before the corpse of VOY grew cold in the ground. Don't you think that TPTB of Stargate should learn form that error and take a year off and figure out what they want to do instead of hammering out a script based on a flimsy premise, build some sets, hire Canadian actors and throw everything together and hope people will tune in?

2. EyalM

EyalM Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

They should learn form the BBC that put Dr.Who for a year off.
    Or for God's sake, hire new writers!!!
    If Atlantis grew stale, there is reason to believe that changing the setting will automatically make them churn out original ideas.

3. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

I suspect Sci-Fi may be responsible for fast-tracking SGU. After all, with SGA and BSG off the air next year, they're running out of shows they know people will watch.

4. DrFyzziks

DrFyzziks Cadet Newbie

I agree - I think they need to take some time off and build anticipation for the new series ... but what's with the "hire Canadian actors" bit? You realize of course that most of the actors you've seen on SG-1 and Atlantis have been Canadian?

Throwing the "hire Canadian actors" in there along with the flimsy premise, and "throw everything together" bit makes it sound as though you don't like us ... ;)

5. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

They've been working on Stargate Universe for almost two years(By the time it comes out.), I think it's more than enough development time.

6. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Far too early with too many of the same writers, I just feel that anyone in the world would be burn't out after over 300 episodes of the franchise. Also canning Atlantis and denying its, would be final 6th season is not a smart move and has pissed off more than a few who could harm SG:U ratings by not bothering to watch.

7. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

But that's unconnected to the hunger of the audience for more SG stuff.

8. Kirby

Kirby Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Stargate needs time to rest like Star Trek should have been given time to rest after Voyager. They need to let the audience miss Stargate for a while, and an SG-1 or SGA movie each year would be enough to keep everyone satisfied for 3 or 4 years, then hit us with a new series. I'll watch Universe, but I think it's too soon.

9. Kpnuts

Kpnuts Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You're missing the point, again.

10. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

Seeing as how the Continuum DVD has outsold the Ark Of Truth DVD I'd say the hunger is out there and Sci-Fi's ratings aren't the only ratings out there the series still sells well overseas.

11. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

Yes.

No, but hire new people.

Take your pick.

12. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

I see no reason to believe that this particular TPTB group would do anything different if they took ten years or fifty years off. What exactly is going to change between then and now? Will they suddenly gain ambition and talent to do something creative and different instead of the same old crap?

Nah, the solution is FIRE EVERYONE!!! Bwahaha, mass carnage! Sometimes the situation is so bad, that a clean slate is the only solution.

Alternatively, if the current lack of creativity and substance is profitable - and apparently it is, or Stargate would be put out to pasture - then why would MGM wait one millisecond before charging ahead? Why take the chance on creative improvements when you can make money off the same old crap?

Yep, if the producers/writers have any talent at all, they should be able to wow us right out the gate. And if they don't, it's either because they can't, or they just don't give a shit because they get paid the same either way.

13. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

Yeah it'd really mean something though if you actually cared who wrote what, but since nobody cares to follow the credits what difference des it make getting new talent or not? :rolleyes:

14. Jono

Jono Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Wouldn't mind if they took a few years off. Maybe just have the odd DVD movie for either/both series now and again. That said the show could be fantastic.

15. Kpnuts

What are you talking about? The current writing staff keep rehashing the same tired, bored plots week in week out.

Are you actually saying they don't need to hire new writers after 12 years? :rolleyes:

16. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

What new stuff is there to write about? Robots, cyborgs, aliens, time travel, space travel it's all been done before new writers aren't going to being anything new to the table in that regard. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

17. Kpnuts

...Oh dear. I'm afraid you've plummeted to new lows when it comes to gushing about SG.

18. witchie

witchie Commodore Commodore

I agree with Temis. It wouldn't matter if Universe was started up 2 years from now. If the current batch of writers is writing Universe, we will not be getting anything new. Some people are okay with that. Me, I like originality. Something these writers lost a long time ago.

19. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

You are confused, I'm saying there's nothing new under the sun, that's just a fact. Can you tell me who wrote the last ep. of Stargate Atlantis that you saw without looking up the answer on the net? :vulcan:

20. Gepard

Gepard Vice Admiral Admiral

So this excuses no creativity in the approach to the material? Good. I'll have to call the BSG, Pushing Dasies, Lost and Eureka people and tell them to stop being creative right away, because robots, cyborgs, aliens, time travel and space travel have all been done before. Damn not-Stargate writers, being inventive and shit. :mad: