The Abyss

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by MadaBidyoni, May 25, 2013.

1. MadaBidyoni

MadaBidyoni Lieutenant Red Shirt

Hi
    do you know by any chance if The Abyss will get a bluray edition?
    thanks

2. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm waiting for this one as well. Aliens is such an excellent bluray transfer, I hope Abyss gets the same treatment. And True Lies.

3. jefferiestubes8

jefferiestubes8 Commodore Commodore

4. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Terminator and Terminator 2 get released 4 times a year, but we can't get one quality release of The Abyss or True Lies? Sad times.

Sometime around the time of Avatar they said they were working on new HD transfers, but that was a few years back and nothing.

5. Peter Q Taggart

Peter Q Taggart Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I'd love to see "Strange Days" (written by Cameron and directed by Kathryn Bigelow) on blu ray as well.

6. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

A very nice German Blu-Ray edition has been out for a while. I'm not sure why 20th Century Fox never released the same disc stateside. 2010 (with Avatar's great financial success and The Hurt Locker's best picture win) would have been an ideal year to release to Cameron/Bigelow collaboration.

Oh, well. Maybe in the future?

7. Sephiroth

Sephiroth Vice Admiral Admiral

two movies I want to see on DVD even are Deep Rising and No Escape, can't find em anywhere.

8. Mysterion

Mysterion Vice Admiral Admiral

when it does, i will definitely buy a copy.

The Abyss is a really good movie and, IMO, somewhat overlooked by a lot of folks. Great performances by Ed Harris and Mary Elizabeth Mastriantonio. One of James Cameron's better movies. I much prefer it to Avatar, myself.

9. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

I really liked The Abyss, too, but I think the Special Edition was a definite improvement. I saw it multiple times in the theater.

10. Mysterion

I agree that the Special Edition does make it a better film. Either version, this movie has one of the most damatic sequences ever in a movie, IMO. Where Bud and Lindsay have to escape the mini-sub and get back to the rig. Even though I have seen this many, many times, it still grips me.

11. JarodRussell

Every "last minute dead body reanimation" trope scene in films is a joke compared to the scene in The Abyss. Ed Harris and the rest of the cast give absolutely EVERYTHING there. It's one of those scenes that end the "trope" because you cannot ever create a better, or more intense version of it. Anything that came before it or after it in other movies is just lame and laughable.

12. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Funny timing, I just re-watched it last night, not to mention I'm also re-reading the novel at the moment.

OSC politics aside, I highly recommend the novel. It truly fleshes out the story, it doesn't just pad scenes out the way novelizations often do. Content-wise, it's as much a jump above the special edition as the SE is itself over the theatrical cut. The first three chapters are back-stories for Bud, Lindsey, and Coffey...and they so impressed James Cameron that he gave them to Harris, Mastrantonio, and Biehn to read. It also gives you true insight into all the NTI stuff that is only guessed at in the film.

Yeah, I love The Abyss and I'm slowly dying without a Blu-ray of it. Hell, if it had even had an anamorphic release at some point I wouldn't mind so much. :(

13. Mysterion

Well said.

That whole sequence from when Lindsay decides what she has to do to when she is eventually revived is just amazing in the way it is acted, filmed, and put together. And you are right that every single person in that scene is committed 100% to what is happening.

14. Jimi_James

Jimi_James Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I don't care for blue-ray, but man I love me some Abyss. I haven't seen it in a while though and need to watch it again. It's definitely a classic.

15. JarodRussell

It adds insult to injury that the Abyss DVD is in 4:3 letterbox format, not anamorphic 16:9 letterbox.

I think they did the same thing with the US DVD of True Lies. Only the European discs are anamorphic. Whyever.

16. Worf2DS9

Worf2DS9 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Good grief, is it really almost 25 years since The Abyss!? Time flies...

17. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Could that be due to the fact that Europe (or parts of it) started to adopt WS as the norm before the US?

I mean I had a SD WS circ 2000 (can't remember the exact date) and I remember seeing on the internet whilst in the UK we generally got OAR releases on DVD, in the states it was pan and scan ad an OAR release. I was buying WS since even before I had a WS TV. And truth be told I never really noticed the black bars.

18. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

It's mostly just because Fox were too lazy/stupid to go with anamorphic as standard back then. True Lies was released by Fox on DVD in 1999, but the Euro release was handled through Universal, who were a lot quicker on the uptake in regards to 4x3 TVs dying a slow death. The Abyss suffered the same fate, with the only anamorphic release being in Asia, where it was unfortunately just reformatted from the non-anamorphic print anyway.