Series music, what's your fave?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Vulcan Logician, May 31, 2013.

1. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

6. ENT
    5. TAS
    4. TNG (3rd season is favorite)
    3. DS9 (4th season is favorite)
    2. VOY
    1. TOS (original 2nd season is favorite)

The TOS intro, with the voiceover and first whi-whish (in the original version of the 2nd season), gives me too much of nerdgasm for it to be displaced.

2. Captain Kathryn

Captain Kathryn Commodore Commodore

Haven't watched TOS or ENT in its entirely yet, but have heard the themes, so I'll answer this one.

5. ENT (I'm sorry...the theme doesn't seem like Trek AT ALL. "Faith of the Heart"... wth?!)
    4. TOS (Fine, but campy...)
    3. TNG (Better than TOS, still campy)
    2. DS9 (Good melody and nice intro. I think I prefer the slower version.)
    1. VOY (I picked this as my fave NOT because I am a VOY fan. I legitimately think it has the most wonderful melody. And the introduction is done in the same style as DS9, which I love.)

3. ZapBrannigan

ZapBrannigan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

All the TV series had at least some great music.

This is my copy of the TOS box set:
    [​IMG]

TOS music, with all those great episode scores, is a life-long passion for me. I'm glad to have it all, every note, and to know it is preserved in a stable format. No more fear of decaying tapes. How great is that? The show's main title is so wrapped up in my childhood, speaking as it did of a great adventure coming up, that I can't judge it objectively.

The 1973 animated series had a limited but effective selection of music cues, the bulk of which can be found in a 15-minute youtube presentation. It's less adult than TOS music, but I still have a fondness for it. And I like the main title, too.

For me, the rest of the ST series were more about intermittant musical highlights than a steady diet of memorable scores:

TNG featured some nice classical music echoing through the ship (Bach's 3rd Brandenburg Concerto, Chopin's Trio in G minor), and Picard's flute melody, dazzlingly realized on CD as the "Orchestral Suite from the Inner Light" by Jay Chattaway. My favorite full episode score is "The Best of Both Worlds" by Ron Jones. The series main title is actually my favorite version of the Goldsmith TMP theme, because it's so punchy and exciting.

I loved DS9 in first run but don't remember it well because it's been so long. A big highlight of the series would be the holosuite lounge singer Vic Fontaine (James Darren). All his numbers were great; Darren put them out on CD and it's quite listenable.

The DS9 episode "Chrysalis" had a musical number performed by the guest stars, a Do Re Mi song that they supposedly improvised. That was pretty cool.

The show's main title is grand and stately, which is fine by me, but I often wondered if something more exciting, cut together with the actors in action, would have been better for the ratings.

VOYAGER was a great show for intermittant musical highlights. Seven of Nine sang "It Can't Be Wrong" in "The Killing Game." She sang "Clementine" and "You Are My Sunshine" with the Doctor. The Doctor sang opera-style from time to time. Those scenes were always great.

ENTERPRISE struck me as the least-musical of the six shows. I don't remember anything offhand. I liked the main title song a lot until they upped the tempo in later years. That didn't work for me.

4. Belz...

Belz... Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
    Do they still sell that box ??

5. Anika Hanson

Anika Hanson Captain Captain

From best to worst

1) VOY
    2) DS9
    3) TOS
    4) TNG

5) ENT

The music from all the series' was fine except enterprise which was abysmal.

6. ZapBrannigan

ZapBrannigan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

They sure do:

http://lalalandrecords.com/STTOS.html

You get 15 CDs and four color booklets totaling about 100 pages. It contains all the music heard in the series (except for Kevin Riley singing "I'll Take You Home Again, Kathleen" and the few notes Uhura sang before Nomad blasted her).

It's limited to 6000 units, but probably won't sell out for a while yet.

7. Belz...

Ouch.. that's a tad expensive, though.

8. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Considering the scope, level of completeness, quality, and especially the number of CD's, it's a fair price.

The OP's asking about opening theme music, though, only. My ranking would have been different, if we were talking about all the incidental music on the shows, but that's another topic!

9. CoveTom

CoveTom Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

On themes alone:

1. TNG
    2. TOS
    3. Voyager
    4. DS9
    5. Enterprise

Frankly, though, I think the TNG theme (or, more properly, the TMP theme) -- much as I love it -- didn't really fit TNG once it got refined into Michael Piller's style beginning with season 3. During seasons 1 and 2, TNG had a very different feel to it overall. I think the theme worked well for those seasons, and I think the incidental music also worked well, especially early season 1 where they used more motifs and theme-driven work. By season 3, though, TNG had changed dramatically, and I don't think the theme fit anymore.

10. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

1TOS 2 dS9 3ENT Similtude and The Forgotten had great music in them 4TNG 5 TWOK 6 First Contact soundtrak

11. Belz...

TWOK and First Contact are not series, sir.