La-La Land to release 15-disc original series score set

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Harvey, Aug 11, 2012.

1. Tallguy

Tallguy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm not so sorry about Riley. As I've said, my plan is to listen to one disc per day. I think "They Way To Eden" will be a long day. :)

2. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

I just finished doing that with the Ron Jones TNG set (actually started with the Encounter At Farpoint CD), and am now working my way through the TNG 3 disk volume one set (tonight is disk two), and plan on repeating that "one disk per evening" plan when this set arrives (providing I'm all the way through with my TNG soundtracks by then of course).

3. Dalen Quaice

Dalen Quaice Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

If La-La Land took out an Errors and Omissions insurance policy, maybe it will cover the cost of a "bonus" disc with any missing material (once we create a definitive list) sourced from the best available material.

If there were 150 tapes, each containing up to 30 minutes length averaging about 17 minutes a tape (as I doubt all were full), that comes out to ~ 42.5 hours of source material. The CDs run time is ~ 17 hours.

I did order a copy, btw...

Last edited: Dec 5, 2012
  4. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

But that runtime would include alternate or botched takes that didn't end up being used. As Indysolo said in his recent interview, they included the approved take of every distinct piece that was recorded.

5. Tallguy

Lukas Kendall: No, we included everything. We included every original recording that we had that was considered a master take. When they’re recording any piece of music they’ll do Take #1, Take #2, Take #3 and so on until they get it right. In rare cases they may use an earlier take because they could not improve on that performance. We made a point to include every recorded master take, or “intercut” combination thereof, that was considered by the production to be the definitive recording of that composition. There were instances at the beginning of Seasons 2 and 3 where they had a recording session where they did new performances of earlier compositions which were then expressly used for library purposes. We made a point to include all of those re-recordings of the earlier music, but it was very easily identifiable what was original or not.

6. Christopher

Oh, I thought it was Neil who said that. I guess I was getting the two podcast interviews confused.

7. Dalen Quaice

I think Neil did say that as well... but nevertheless, people are human and mistakes can happen.

Paramount supposedly released the original unedited episodes on RCA CED (10 episodes), LaserDisc, VHS, Betamax, DVD, and Blu-Ray -- we are all aware that every single release has had some issues with missing footage, music, and sound effects. Remember the missing scene from The Tholian Web on the 2 episode DVD's? The music replacement on Pt 2 of The Menagerie? The missing music cue from The Doomsday Machine?

I have for years asked why the commercial bumpers were never included in the video releases - I got everything from we don't own the rights to the masters were unavailable (and a coupon good on my next purchase! LOL). On several of the video releases you could see the faint outline of the bumpers where they were edited out after the act fade out... yes, edited from a supposedly complete and uncut episode.

8. Ssosmcin

Ssosmcin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

On the Laserdisc of Mirror, Mirror, they have the bumper just after the opening credits. No audio, but a nice clear visual. It was the shot of the Enterprise orbiting Delta vega with the yellow "Star Trek" in series font below the ship.

That's all we got on an official release.

9. Christopher

I got a marvelous e-mail this morning: "La La Land Records has sent you a package." "Est. delivery: 1-3 days." It's almost here!

10. Tallguy

Great. Now I'm doing stupid things like hitting refresh on my email six time in five seconds because that will, you know, do something.

But I'm very happy for YOU Christopher.

11. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Commodore Commodore

Ordered mine through moviemusic.com...hoping for the best!

12. Ssosmcin

Ssosmcin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Me too! I'm hoping by Monday...

December 6, 2012 19:26:00 SANTA CLARITA, CA 91383 PROCESSED THROUGH USPS SORT FACILITY

This damned set is the soundtrack of my lifetime. I haven't been this wired for a release in, like, ever. There's never been a time when this music wasn't a part of my life.

Not much left for me to want, music wise, after this.

13. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

Since we both ordered on Tuesday, I hope that means I'll also get this email this morning, since it's still morning for me (It's 7:49am, no idea why it says 3:51pm above my name).

Of course, never having done business with LALA Land before, except for them being a third party through Amazon, I have no idea what their turnaround time is. It could easily be another week.

14. Tallguy

IIRC with TMP mine went out with the second batch and I still had mine on Saturday. This seems to be going out a little later.

15. Dalen Quaice

I'm saving mine for Christmas day... as long as it arrives by then, I'll be happy!

16. Tallguy

I keep telling myself that. And then I hit refresh on my email. Again.

17. NickintheATL

NickintheATL Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

You're not alone, I ordered the minute it went on sale and still haven't gotten the shipping notice. I'm starting to worry. :-\

18. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

I'm in an even worse predicament. I got my set Monday and have been waiting for iTunes to update its CDDB (I know IndySolo submitted all the correct info to them for this set) so I can import my discs and listen to them at work!

19. OneBuckFilms

OneBuckFilms Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I use Windows Media Player myself, and found a plugin that reads the CD-Text information for unrecognized discs.

This meant that I was able to get all of the information I needed, and just touch it up as I go (separating episode scores into "Albums", applying art, populating Composer and Conductor tags etc.).

I think there may be a script out there or something to allow iTunes to read the CD-Text data. That way, CDDB is not needed for this release.

20. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Vice Admiral Admiral

Waiting for a relation to give it to me as a holiday present.