THOR: Grading, Discussion, Review **SPOILERS***

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Captain Craig, Apr 17, 2011.

?

What grade do you give THOR?

Poll closed Nov 3, 2011.
  1. A+

25 vote(s)
    12.2%
  2. A

48 vote(s)
    23.4%
  3. A-

49 vote(s)
    23.9%
  4. B+

33 vote(s)
    16.1%
  5. B

24 vote(s)
    11.7%
  6. B-

9 vote(s)
    4.4%
  7. C+

5 vote(s)
    2.4%
  8. C

6 vote(s)
    2.9%
  9. C-

1 vote(s)
    0.5%
  10. D+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. D

2 vote(s)
    1.0%
  12. D-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. F

3 vote(s)
    1.5%
  1. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

This gave the climax of Cap an extra emotional punch, beyond what I felt at the end of Thor.

I felt more loss for Steve for his personal sacrifice, in no small part for losing the only woman who ever fell for him, than for Thor at the loss of the Rainbow Bridge, which I knew was always only a temporary setback.

Steve's loss is permanent.

Moreover, manning up and making that sacrifice completes the arc of the growth from runt Steve Rogers to hero Captain America.
    I agree with this spoilery discussion of the ending of Thor: http://www.badassdigest.com/2011/05/07/why-thor-has-the-wrong-ending

2. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

I wouldn't have objected to that alternative ending, but I don't think it would have made THAT much of a difference to the movie. One way or the other, Thor is making a huge sacrifice by destroying the bridge.

Plus I think we kind of needed that final scene with his father to see just how radically more mature and adult he had become.

3. TemporalFlux

TemporalFlux Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think it was unnecessary for the Thor film to leave that dangling plot for Avengers to resolve before it can tell its story. I agree that the other suggested ending for Thor would have left the story in a better place for Avengers; Thor 2 could have then dealt with the more Thor specific elements that needed resolution.

4. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

Maybe the ending of Thor was necessitated by the story for The Avengers. Perhaps Whedon wanted Thor in Asgard at the beginning of his film.

5. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

The ending of "Thor" was also designed to provide an emotional stumbling block for Thor regarding going back to see Jane. Having the Bifrost destroyed served several possible story plots for both "Avengers" and "Thor 2". The most obvious one being how does Thor get back to Earth? I'm guessing that since Fury put Dr. Selving in charge of figuring out how to use it that it will be used somehow to bring Thor back to Earth and have a side consequence of bringing back Loki as well. Just a guess though.

6. CorporalCaptain

^ I agree, but it has all the suspense of whether the Pope is really Catholic, if you know what I mean. Thor's going to get to Earth, no question.

7. Admiral_Young

^ I agree with that. I thought that as well even with understanding what they were going with it.

8. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

What Jane was working on in Thor was wormhole research, I think the implication being that with SHIELD's help she might be able to make a gateway back to Asgard for Thor to come through.

9. Broccoli

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DTgNkkX2eU[/yt]

10. TemporalFlux

TemporalFlux Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That's part of what bothers me. So under that scenario, we open Avengers with Jane accomplishing something enormous, but we don't see Jane do it (given Natalie Portman isn't appearing to my knowledge). Comes off as cheap to me.

11. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

We assume she isn't appearing because we haven't heard anything about it. I'm sure we would have heard something if she was in the film, but there's always that possibility, I mean if it's just a short scene (or cameo) there's a chance it's not even filmed yet.

12. Admiral_Young

I'm pretty sure that it was acknowledged at the "Avengers" unveiling at comic con last year that Natalie Portman isn't part of the cast. She was at the "Thor" panel of course but not part of the "Avengers" cast reveal. This article is from April and contains a quote from Nat herself.

http://www.movieweb.com/news/the-avengers-wont-feature-natalie-portman

Gwyenth Paltrow has said "maybe, we'll see" about "Avengers". Which is switch from what she stated last winter when she said she wouldn't be.

http://www.totalfilm.com/news/gwyneth-paltrow-may-appear-in-the-avengers

13. CorporalCaptain

Well, I might not be able to take the awesomeness of Paltrow, Portman, and Johansson sharing the same movie frame. If that were to happen, it would just be too awesome. So, it's probably a good thing anyway.

14. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

15. Admiral_Young

Yeah until it is confirmed somewhere else I'll take it as a grain of salt.

16. Broccoli

I'm just throwing this out there that South Park did a wonderful parody of Thor tonight. Apparently the Pilgrims and Indians are aliens who brought stuffing to us mortals during the first Thanksgiving.

17. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

18. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

^^^
    I was never wowed by the selection of her to begin with.
    It's likely this is a good turn of events.

19. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm not busy. :D

20. Admiral_Young

We don't know if it is a good turn of events or not...the others that were on the final list before Jenkins was picked didn't exactly wow me.