John Carpenter's The Thing.

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Kirkman1987, Jul 12, 2010.

1. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

That's one of my favorite things about the movie, and Russell's performance. As much as you want to root for him and take his side, he plays the character so cool and mysterious that you're not always sure you can trust him.

2. Davros

Davros Fleet Admiral Admiral

Which I'm sure some will call a rip off of The Thing.

3. Kirkman1987

Kirkman1987 Commodore Commodore

:lol:

They would've had to have been mostly human at least up to the blood test, but after that I don't see much of a problem. Either way, I agree that the almost total mystery of the whole thing is one of the film's highlights.

Also, "I know you guys have been through a lot today, but could one of you help me so I don't spend the whole winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH." :) Fun line.

4. wildstar

wildstar Commander Red Shirt

I like to think that it's more like an actor taking on a role. As much as they would get into the emotion and mood of the role, at heart they know they're an actor. The Thing would always know it's itself no matter how perfect it duplicates the victim.

Either way, great movie.

5. pookha

pookha Admiral Admiral

yeah it was a lot more faithful to campbell's who goes there.

and i see the x files episode sorta as a loose sequel.

:)

6. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Oh yeah I love that line :lol:

7. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Because of this thread I went and watched the DVD last night and tried to keep track of who's who and what happened when. What makes it so hard is that there are thing intentionally left out, like when that bloke finds MacReady's shredded clothes out in the snow and very quickly turns up burnt to a crisp only for the cook to find them again, this time in MacReady's shack. Omissions like that are clearly meant to make the audience just as paranoid as the characters.

Mind you, I can't figure out what happened to the cook; I know he went into the generator room with MacReady and sheriff blokey - the latter getting a face full of doc-thing's hand - but I'm not sure we see what happens to the cook, unless I blinked and missed something.

8. barnaclelapse

barnaclelapse Commodore Commodore

The Thing is probably the best of Carpenter's "Apocalypse Trilogy" (which also includes "In The Mouth of Madness" and "Prince of Darkness" and may also be one of the best horror films of the 80's.

9. JWD75

JWD75 Commander Red Shirt

My all time favorite movie.

10. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Oh I love Prince of Darkness, but oddly I've only ever seen In the Mouth of Maddness the once. Not because I hated it, just simply never got around to rewatching it. I really must correct that omission cos I suspect it's probably the last good film he made. Well it or Escape from LA whichever was later ;)

Has there been a 'favourite Carpenter film' thread lately?

Although that would be a pain cos I reckon I'd have a four way tie vying for one vote!

11. Base_Delta_Zero

Base_Delta_Zero Commodore Commodore

Favorite film.

I watch this and Die Hard every Christmas Eve, cause wisecracking heroes, gun battles, Antarctic paranoia and genestealing alien menaces are the perfect way to celebrate the birth of Christ.

Man, the 80s have the best movies.

12. barnaclelapse

barnaclelapse Commodore Commodore

70's and 80's seem to have an awful lot of good stuff for me. That isn't to say great movies still aren't being put out there. I'm just going with sentimental favorites.

13. Servo

Servo Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

One of my favourite films ever. It's pretty much perfect.

14. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Brilliant movie.

It's also Antarctica's National Movie!

LINK