Rise Like Lions - A Mirror Universe saga

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by DarkHorizon, Dec 30, 2009.

1. DarkHorizon

DarkHorizon Captain Captain

So, my copy of The Sorrows of Empire dropped through my letterbox today. As is my custom, I flipped to the back to look at the acknowledgements and About the Author sections (yes, I admit, I'm looking to see if MA or MB are credited).

And I found this:

So, is this the title of the series now, as opposed to The Typhon Pact?

Yep, yep. So far, so good.

WHAT?!

Is this the Memory Omega storyline culmination story that seems to have been hinted at by For the Want of a Nail in Shards and Shadows, amongst others? I'm very much looking forward to it if it is.

2. Thrawn

Thrawn Rear Admiral Premium Member

Sweet....

3. David Mack

David Mack Writer Rear Admiral

^ Well, this is where I mea culpa: I was supposed to take that out at editing and I forgot.

Bottom line: though I have proposed such a project, it has not yet been approved by CBS or Pocket or in any way contracted for. When I wrote the About the Author page on the expanded version of The Sorrows of Empire, neither I nor Margaret had any idea she was soon to be laid off, and she had been keen to acquire Rise Like Lions.

It's my hope I will get to move forward on the project this year, but this is a case in which I, quite simply, spoke too soon. I apologize to my readers, and to my editors and publisher for the confusion.

4. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Okay guys, all together now...

(entire board shouts, Jack Bauer-style)

"DAMMIT!!!!" :mad: :(

Could somebody close this thread before more people get their hopes up?

5. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, just because it's not official yet doesn't mean we can't talk about it. We have all hoped this story would be told since the Memory Omega storyline first began. And I don't see any reason why Pocket won't tell this story, so hopefully David Mack's book will the one we get.

6. ronny

ronny Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Can't remember the last time I had my emotions jerked around like that, from high to low, in a trekbbs thread. :)

I vote for NOT closing this thread. Someone else is going to see the same thing in the book and ask about it. Might as well keep this one open since it's get the authors response in it. Just my two cents, for what it's worth.

7. Rosalind

Rosalind TrekLit's Dr Rose Mod Admiral

gee, guys, have some confidence.

besides, I'm too lazy to do unnecessary mod things. :p

8. KingstonTrekker

KingstonTrekker Commander Red Shirt

I really hope that you get to write this book!:)

9. Frontier

Frontier Vice Admiral Admiral

Are the new editors members here, yet?

10. DarkHorizon

DarkHorizon Captain Captain

Well then, I apologise for getting everybody's hopes up, and hope we will get to see this in print at some point soon.

11. Defcon

Defcon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

There is only one constant Star Trek editor at the moment as far as we know: Jamie Costas. It doesn't seem as if she is a member here.

They also seem to have rehired Margaret Clark to work freelance for them, but the only project of hers we can be sure about is the Ships of the Line calendar.

12. Mr. Laser Beam

What's the point in talking about a book that does not exist?

13. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

We talk about people and planets and spaceships that don't exist all the time.

14. William Leisner

William Leisner Scribbler Rear Admiral

Do you realize how fast this board would wither and die if we didn't?

15. Defcon

^Yeah, for example we talked about what later became the Myriad Universes series for years before it eventually was formally announced and published.

And we know the proposal for this book is on the editor's desk, so it's not as if we were talking about some obscure rumor.

16. Mr. Laser Beam

Until the book is actually written, then yes, it effectively is. Could take years, for all we know.

17. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

Aw, lad, proposals get a damn sight further than that and still never happen... Believe me, I know! All the writers who post here have no doubt got many proposals on the editor's desk, but only a fraction of them will ever actually appear.

18. Defcon

I know, what I was trying to say was that it isn't totally made up, it's at least a twinkle in David Mack's eye, so to speak. :lol:

And I assume it will stay that way until the numbers for The Sorrows of Empire come in to Pocket Books' office.

19. William Leisner

William Leisner Scribbler Rear Admiral

Not only this, but sometimes manuscripts get further than this and never happen. (Not suggesting that Jaime may decide to shitcan any books Margaret had already contracted, but it's within the realm of possibility.) If we're going to ban talk of Mack's MU endgame novel because it might not happen, we have to also ban talk of the Typhon Pact series, The Romulan Wars, Book Two, Vanguard post-Precipice, and the Abrams-verse books that have not completed their journey through the production pipeline.

20. KingstonTrekker

KingstonTrekker Commander Red Shirt

:lol::lol::lol: