Paddling a 16-year-old giirl at school: is everyone stupid here?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Flying Spaghetti Monster, Sep 25, 2012.

1. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

Outside of one or two incidents, my parents were able to abstain from hitting me as a child. I still turned out pretty well. There's no rel proof that spanking, or any form of corporal punishment, works but there's a lot of evidence out there that it may well have a detrimental effect.

Back when I was going for my master's in education, I recall one professor, who specialized in students with disabilities, talking to us about calling home when a student was not doing well academically. He said that he always avoided doing it because a large number of parents' first reaction was to smack the kid around a little. He was an older guy so I like to think that it's decreased since he was in that position but hearing that was pretty sobering.

2. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    For what it's worth, mom was the one that believed in smacking us kids. Dad never raised a hand to any of us, he just talked. He was the one no one wanted to disappoint and got the most respect as the years went on into older childhood and eventually as adults. Mom just didn't hold sway as we got older.

3. DAYoung

DAYoung Commander Red Shirt

How wonderfully barbaric.

Tell me, is there a correlation between the religiosity of US states and their levels of corporal punishment?

4. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

Corporal punishment is most commonly used in the South, which is also our most religious region, so yeah. Do the math.

5. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Although I suspect there are a lot of intertwined reasons rather than causation here.

6. Tora Ziyal

Tora Ziyal Vice Admiral Admiral

7. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

Absolutely. There is no way you can pull out one cultural trait and then tie it to another trait and say that's the cause. Sorry if I gave that impression.

8. DAYoung

DAYoung Commander Red Shirt

Yes, hence my phrasing.

9. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Spanking small children is the human equivalent of spraying your cat with a water bottle to keep it off the counter. It's just a form of training to keep them in line, which is fine when they're too young to know better. After a certain age, though, continuing to use violence to get them to behave just seems like a lazy and barbaric method of discipline. There are better ways to punish a child than by causing them physical harm.