Where were you when...

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by RobertScorpio, Sep 8, 2008.

1. RobertScorpio

RobertScorpio Pariah

Where were you when DS9 ended? Its been 10 years since the last season of DS9 started...It seems only like yesterday, but wow...

I was in the GULF region. I was stationed on a Carrier and my friend was sending me VHS tapes of DS9's final season. We made it back in time to see the final arc of the show...but now I' m retired and it all seems a lifetime ago..

Rob
    Scorpio

2. PKTrekGirl

PKTrekGirl Arrogant Niner Thug Admiral

I was living where I live now. Nothing extraordinary about it.

3. The Caretaker

The Caretaker Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I was living in Devon patiently waiting for the VHS release!

:p

4. NKemp3

NKemp3 Commodore Commodore

Like PKTrekGirl I was living in the same place as I am now but I still vividly remember those final months (although technically its not ten years yet). I also recall that over a span of about five or six months Babylon 5, Homicide: Life on the Streets and Deep Space Nine all came to a close. Those were my three favorite series of the 90s and in fact during one year all three came on back-to-back-to-back on Friday nights in the Washington DC area. Losing all those characters from those three shows was almost like losing a slew of old friends.

5. Garth Rockett

Garth Rockett Commodore Commodore

I was completing graduate school in a city that didn't carry DS9 (or VOY, for that matter) on any stations. I followed the end of the series through online reviews, and bought the novelization of What You Leave Behind. After school ended, I moved where I am now. One of the local stations was running DS9 five times a week, so I caught up on most of what I missed. Unfortunately, they kept skipping some episodes so there were some (including What You Leave Behind) I never got to see until Spike picked up the show.

6. Jono

Jono Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I was living 80km from where I live today. Not sure where I was exactly when the last episode aired but I remember where I was when I got my hands on the VHS. I was in Brisbane on summer holidays before I started year 12 and I went out bought it and just about watched it straight away when I got back to where I was staying. I'm pretty sure I skipped ahead several episodes from what was available at my local video store. Which thankfully started getting in the all the VHS from season 6 onwards. Prior to that it was a bit scattered in what was available.

7. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

Middle School.

8. Lateralus

Lateralus Commander Red Shirt

Pathetically enough, my life hasn't changed much aside from the fact that I'm not in high school anymore.

9. PhoenixIreland

PhoenixIreland Captain Captain

At home after the last episode, sitting on the sofa thinking "what?....what the fuck was that?"

10. Smiley

Smiley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I was watching it on TV at my parents' house. I was in high school at the time.

11. Krieg1981

Krieg1981 Commodore Commodore

I was a senior in High School, and living in my hometown........Spokanistan, WA. I watched every episode as they came out religiously! I still mourn it's passing........:vulcan:

12. I had finished 5th grade a month before the finale. I watched WYLB on TV and also taped it.

I still (somewhat) remember those kinda cool promos they would show during those last few episodes saying how DS9 was only X weeks away from the finale, and being excited and sad that it would soon be over.

13. Shintaek

Shintaek Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

7th grade. I saw the finale only a few months ago on Spike.

14. Jon1701

Jon1701 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In the same city I am now.

That said, I spent the last of my money on the last few VHS tapes. I'm fairly sure I didn't get the bus home to try and justify the expense... :lol:

15. MyCylon

MyCylon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I was home for Christmas and New Year during the semester break in my first semester at University. Two of my best friends with whom I always watched DS9 were also there.

Living in Germany, I always got the English VHS tapes from a small British video rental store that was near the British military airport near my home town. And at first, it seemed the final tape with the finale wouldn't arrive in time.

Fortunately, as it turned out, they got it at the last minute, and we were able to watch WYLB just before the year 2000. Had it come later, I don't know when we'd have been able to watch it together. So it was fantastic it turned out the way it did.

Watching it was fantastic and sad at the same time. It was hard to believe that seven years had passed so quickly, it seemed. And although I don't want to overstate the meaning of a TV show, on some level, it was almost like losing a friend who's been with you for a long time, if you know what I mean. That final pullback was really tough.

16. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

I was 29 years old, and living in the same house I'm in now.

17. Smiley

Smiley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I probably calculated it wrong when they aired the "X More Weeks" promo. I was just going to come back for the last episode, and I ended up seeing "The Dogs of War" and then a preview for the next week's series finale.

18. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Living in California, same as now.

I was depressed for THREE DAYS after DS9 ended. No stupid TV show has ever done that to me, before or since. Tho I'm fearing the endings of both Dexter and Lost now... :eek:

19. trekker670

trekker670 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I was about 3 miles from my current house, in my old house. But I wasnt watching DS9 at the time, it wasnt until recently (last couple years) that I really got into DS9, before it was mainly TNG and TOS

20. Keith1701

Keith1701 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I was in the Air Force and stationed in Florida at the time.