MLB Offseason 2012

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by Mr. Laser Beam, Oct 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

There's something kind of wrong about using the word "linky" when walking about a father losing his daughter.

Just saying.

2. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Okay, I fixed it.

3. Captain Ice

Captain Ice Cookie Constructor Admiral

Getting Captain Ice on to the naughty list
    Agreed, though there has clearly been no love lost between management and Upton since Colangelo left. Upton's attitude has been a huge problem the last two years. To be honest, his ass should have been gone in July, but nothing materialized.

Upton for Prado and prospects is a lopsided deal by itself. Everyone here knew Upton would have had better numbers if he had tried last year. Upton AND Johnson??? Granted, Johnson is a pretty shitty 3B but, WTF Kevin? You could have at least tried to get another decent player out of this deal.

4. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'll take three years of Upton for one year of Prado. Especially since the Braves had no intention of signing him to a long term contract for some reason. Prado will be a Yankee or a Red Sox in 2014.

5. Mr. Laser Beam

Now I'm hearing A-Rod may be out for the whole season. Attempting to give a crap... :shifty:

6. Timby

The Phillies signed Yuni to a minor-league contract with a non-roster invitation to spring training. :lol: They outrighted Michael Martinez and let Ty Wigginton walk, so there's a very real chance he gets a roster spot and legitimate playing time.

Is it bad that even though I really like Jimmy Rollins, I want him to get hurt for a couple of weeks just so I can see a left side of the infield of Yuni and Young, with Delmon Dogg in left field? I so desperately want to see grounders to shortstop result in runners gaining two, maybe three bases.

Edit: Oh shit, they signed Chad Durbin, too. What the fuck is Rube smoking? [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 29, 2013
  7. SmoothieX

SmoothieX Vice Admiral Admiral

^Yikes. The 2013 all feet-for-hands team.

That's ok, you still 4 more years after this one to watch him physically decline. .265 BA, 15 HR, 63 RBI - that contract is looking like more of a bargain by the day.

That team is an old timer's day waiting to happen. Sure they'll mop up with the KC's and Minnesota's of the world, but I can't picture them finishing higher than 3rd in their own division.

8. Timby

Since I'm sure Alidar Jarok would appreciate me posting content beyond "Ruben Amaro lol," here's the most amazing bat flip I've ever seen:

[​IMG]

I've said this earlier, but the AL East has never been more winnable in the last 20 years than it is right now -- the Yankees are gutting themselves in order to hit the goal of Project 189, and the Red Sox are a Dumpster fire. Tampa Bay is pretty solid, the Blue Jays obviously went all-in on winning now and have the pieces to do so (although AA's penchant for mediocre relievers will never stop confusing me) and who knows what the hell to expect from the Orioles ... the 2012 season was goofy as hell.

9. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's pretty much a given in baseball that the players in their 20's are underpaid and compensate by being over paid in their 30's and 40's.

The same thing pretty much is already happening to Pujols. Sure he had a good season, but it was nothing stellar compared to the bar he already set for himself.

Honestly I see A-Rod suffering a lot of boobirds in the coming years.

10. SmoothieX

The Angels are going to pay for that Pujols deal in a few years similar to what the Yanks are going through with A-Rod. Ridiculously long contract for a guy already in his 30s who will be a $30M a year shell of his former self in the second half of it.

Big guys tend not to age as well either.

11. Use of Time

Use of Time Commodore Commodore

Joey Votto anyone?

12. Timby

Anyone with half a brain knew that Pujols' contract demands were insane, and this is why I am so very glad that the Cubs only gave him a half-hearted short-term contract offer. Pujols was 32, had a well-documented history of elbow issues, and the little issue of his long-term plantar fasciitis, which is by itself a massive red flag due to its degenerative nature, and the Angels signed him into his 40s. It won't even be five years until that contract is an albatross; I fully expect him to have a pretty big decline as soon as next year. He could have an even more calamitous drop than A-Rod, who can at least put up the defense that both his hips appear to be grinding to dust.

13. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

Alex Rodriguez, Nelson Cruz, Gio Gonzalez and others are on a PED list obtained from an anti-aging clinic in Miami.

Source says the Yankees are looking at ways they can void A-Rod's contract if this turns out to be accurate.

14. SmoothieX

If I'm the Yankees, I'm trying to find every way possible to void that albatross of a contract.

15. Timby

The MLBPA will firebomb the Yankees' offices before they allow that contract to be voided.

16. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Apparently if a doctor declares A-Rod is unable to recover from his injury the Yankess can file a claim on their insurance for most of his contract. Wonder how hard they're rooting for that?

17. Timby

Ah yes, the Mets' strategy with Mo Vaughn.

Settling the contract doesn't get them out of the luxury tax burden, however, and they can't force A-Rod not to play. If he shows that he's physically capable and they try to keep him out of the clubhouse, the MLBPA will be all up in their shit.

The only way A-Rod has played his last game is if he retires voluntarily, thus giving up his entire contract, or if Bud Selig suspends him forever (in which case his contract would still count against the luxury tax :lol:). Man, Project 189 is such a beautiful thing.

18. Mr. Laser Beam

^ What is not a beautiful thing, is what I just found out ten seconds ago. Guess who has an album out? Of singing?

Tim McCarver. :barf:

Somebody please kill me

19. Use of Time

Use of Time Commodore Commodore

Better than Joe Buck.

20. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

I'm a Yankees fan and I'm hoping A-Rod goes down. What an asshat.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.