Futuristic Horror Movies?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by ReadyAndWilling, Oct 20, 2013.

1. ReadyAndWilling

ReadyAndWilling Fleet Captain

Hey guys, I really love science fiction movies and recently I've been enjoying horror movies.

I loved the first Terminator movie.

I'd love something where a space crew goes exploring on a derelict ship or a baron planet and they need to figure out what's going on. A good example would be something like that season 7 TNG episode 'Genesis' where Data explores and tries to come up with an answer.

I love the idea of something where a character is super logical, like Data, and he needs to deal with something that appears supernatural like a demon or vampire or something. I love that scene in 'Lost in Space' where they're exploring the abandoned shift with the robot and they use the robot to defend themselves.

I've seen 'Event Horizon' and something like this would be cool, too!

Thanks!

2. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

For some reason "Jason X" springs to mind...

3. DalekJim

DalekJim Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Did somebody call for a horror expert?

Assuming you've seen Alien, which is easily the best, then I'd suggest the excellent Planet of the Vampires and Queen of Blood. If you're on the look-out for dumb fun, then go for Pandorum and Hellraiser: Bloodline.

It has some great moments but is largely bland and boring. New Line Cinema have never understood how to treat the franchise. I can watch the first 8 films over and over.

4. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Planet of the Vampires spooked me as a child--and is an obvious influence on Alien.

5. js

js Captain Captain

My first thought was Event Horizon and then yeah, Jason X. But before either of those was a great (at the time) little cult film based on a George RR Martin novel, called "Nightflyers". I used to love that one, but don't know if it holds up at all beyond 80s nostalgia.

6. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Ghosts of Mars.

7. Greg Cox

Just to show off, I actually edited the novelization of Event Horizon, which sold pretty well as I recall . . . .

8. Gary Mitchell

Gary Mitchell Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ I bought it.

9. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

I liked the movie, but it was pretty bad at times, please tell me thet book is better?

10. Greg Cox

God bless you. :)

For the record, the novelization was written by Steven E. McDonald, if anyone wants to try to track down a used copy.

11. DalekJim

Dunno about the book, but the film was one of the few real horror classics of the generally rubbish 1990s. Love it. The Shining/The Haunting... in space.

12. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Oh I love most horror movies, cheesy, old, camp, all but the 2000's torture ones. Event Horizon has been in my collection since it came out.

I say this to clarify my earlier post, and to prevent getting my teeth kicked in for seconding Hellraiser Bloodline and suggesting Dracula 3000.

13. Galileo7

Galileo7 Commodore Commodore

Agree. John Carpenter's Ghosts of Mars.

14. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

I loved Event Horizon, the only thing that reduced the movie was the part where the rescue ship just about rams into the Event Horizon herself.

Does the book explain how this could possibly happen?

:devil:

15. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

I still wish the engine from Event Horizon was available as a desk ornament. :)That said, a friend and I went in to see EH thinking it would be a sci-fi film with some horror elements.

We walked out of the theater in silence for a bit, then both remarked that that really wasn't what we'd been expecting. Since then we've both come to agree that it's a bit of a guilty pleasure.

I do love the opening trick the film does with the Paramount logo.

16. DalekJim

I feel no guilt in my love for Event Horizon, and this thread has inspired me to watch it again. It builds a great, scary atmosphere and sense of dread. The Dead Space videogame pays great homage to it.

The original Hellraiser is my favourite horror film, but the franchise overall really is a mess. Still, I find Bloodline very enjoyable and it would have been a really great movie if the studio hadn't butchered it so much.

It's the last movie of the series to really try to tell an interesting Hellraiser story, rather than just be a psychological thriller with Pinhead slapped on, until Revelations. And that film is depressingly rushed and cheap.

17. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

I recently picked up EH on Blu Ray, but I don't want to watch it alone...unless I'm listening to the commentary track, then it's okay. :)

18. Greg Cox

Honestly, that was sixteen years ago. I don't remember!

19. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

FUCKING GOOGLE IT!!!

20. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral