Spoilers VOY: The Eternal Tide by Kirsten Beyer Review Thread

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Sho, Aug 20, 2012.

?

Rate The Eternal Tide.

1. Outstanding

85 vote(s)
    47.2%
  2. Above Average

56 vote(s)
    31.1%
  3. Average

30 vote(s)
    16.7%
  4. Below Average

2 vote(s)
    1.1%
  5. Poor

7 vote(s)
    3.9%
  1. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

It would completely depend on the author. There are a couple authors I will read anything by but others, no.

2. zarkon

zarkon Captain Captain

See, with original characters I can often take them or leave them. With the ent-e characters, it's predominantly "leave", but with the voy relaunch up to COTS, it was most definately take.

I'd disgaree with you in that COTS was heavy on original characters, with O'Donnel, Farkhas and her crew featuring a lot in it, and those were the best bits. Sadly the only original character Eternal Tide really focused on was Eden, and for me that was a mess.

3. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Vice Admiral Admiral

With the loss of so many ships, I would think SFC would call a halt to the mission and have them return, versus expend more ships that might be betterr used for recovery and/or to defend against the Typhon Pact.

4. Newspaper Taxi

Newspaper Taxi Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The thing that surprises me more than the return or departure of any characters is how much this book felt like a potential series finale. I get the feeling Kristin Beyer either knows she won't be lucky enough to write for Voyager forever, or is losing interest. The biggest on-going mystery of the series (Post Full Circle) centers on Eden's mysterious background. That mystery has been solved, as well as the 'mystery' the characters were in-universe sent out to resolve per their orders -- figure out how 'gone' the Borg really are. About the only thing that isn't really resolved from Beyer's works are those eight entities that accidentally got released.

As far as the story goes...I liked it a great deal. Well, we knew Janeway would probably come back someday, and we knew that the Q would be involved in someway. I really liked how Beyer wrote all of the Q and especially think she managed to channel John De Lanci's chilling tone he takes on when he means bussiness. You know, the times when you really get the feeling you're getting told off by a greater power, and not just a greater bluster. It was also nice to see how much of Voyager's dubious additions to the Q mythology were used, and to what great effect. I only just realized how much I'll miss little q.

I think they got rid of Amanda to tie up continunity problems with q's origin. Since q was supposed to be the first Q-reproduction, canon can now have it both ways. (Amanda was the first born Q, but then she never existed. Continunity steamrolls on!)

Personally, I hope the Voyager fleet doesn't get re-deployed in the Alpha quadrent and get to keep their mission in the Delta Quadrant. I really like this series set-up and I think it has more potential to be wrung out of it before it needs a serious re-tooling. (To be honest, I'd rather have the Full-Circle stuff have been the TV show. That would've been something to remember!)

5. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

What I would've liked to see happen in the show was for Janeway to track down the other AQ/BQ ships abducted by the Caretaker and form a convoy, rather than just going it alone. That could've been a lot richer -- and would've made better use of the Maquis element if there'd been a Cardassian ship in the mix.

Of course, they didn't do that because it would've been more expensive to shoot footage of multiple ships -- and perhaps because it would've been too reminiscent of the "ragtag, fugitive fleet" of Battlestar Galactica. But it could've been cool.

6. Turbo

Turbo Changeling Premium Member

If only we could have a well-written novel which shows this possibility! :shifty:

On a more serious note, I'm not sure that I would have preferred that plot so much as them actually using the plots and characters they set up at the beginning. Story arcs, actual interpersonal conflicts, supply shortages, etc. The only time I can remember them actually using the last one after Season 1 was in "Demon", and even then it was a silly contrived plot device.

7. rfmcdpei

rfmcdpei Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think that Janeway's resurrection was achieved about as plausibly as it could have been, and for pretty defensible reasons. The idea that, in the original timeline unaltered by the Admiral, Janeway and crew did something that needed to be accomplished in the current timeline makes sense. Likewise, the use of the Q Continuum also made sense to me.

But was there really a need to destroy half of the Voyager Fleet, including the Quirinal that Children of the Storm did such a good job of introducing us to? It does seem like too much of a hard reset, IMHO.

8. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That's basicly how I feel. I'm not a big fan of bringing the dead back, but it was done in a way I can 'dig'.
    But the entire destruction on that scale... such a pity.

9. Newspaper Taxi

Newspaper Taxi Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I've been trying to remember, but the "Get her!" plan reminded me of something. I just remembered: Akroyd's character in the first Ghostbusters. : )

10. Deranged Nasat

Deranged Nasat Vice Admiral Admiral

They ran out of deuterium, somehow. :lol:

11. Stoek

Stoek Commander Red Shirt

I cried when Optimus Prime died.

Oh so many years ago, watching the animated Transformers The Movie, I cried. Optimus Prime was noble, and wise, and just, and patient and kind. Everything that to my young mind a leader and hero should be. So when he lost his life in battle to the treachery of the evil Megatron, I was shocked and horrified and appalled. And I cried.

A few years later in a trio of episodes he was resurrected briefly to perform one last heroic act before dying again. I was thrilled at his return and a little angry and heartbroken that he didn't get to stay not dead.

This was neither the beginning nor the end of my close emotional ties with certain fictional characters.

Spock. Joyce Summers. Old Yeller. Tara. The Green Lantern Corps. Jason Todd. To name just a few.

Sometimes it's easy to become insulated. To view what is important to oneself as IMPORTANT and to view what is unimportant to oneself as ... *shrug*.

I was guilty of that regarding the death of Kathryn Janeway. Frankly after watching Voyager I didn't much care for her. Seeing her make choices that came off to me as high handed and dictatorial did nothing to endear her to me. I wasn't terribly interested in what happened to her post TV run. When she appeared and then died in Before Dishonor I largely shrugged. And when the "Bring Back Janeway" crowd started vocally protesting the fate of the character well honestly I was bored and just wanted them to shut up already.

At the same time I didn't really have anything invested in her staying dead either. I truly just did not care one way or the other.

Comes the time for the next Voyager novel and I learn just moments before buying it that apparently Janeway was going to be resurrected. Now there might be circumstances under which I would have serious reservations about picking up the next book. But not in this case. It's all because of Buffy's sister.

I can hear those of you reading this saying with one voice... "Huh?" So I'll explain.

During the summer prior to the fifth season of Buffy The Vampire Slayer, it was announced that the season would prominently feature Buffy's sister Dawn. Who would be revealed to have always existed. Despite the fact that Buffy was firmly established as an Only Child, in the four seasons previous. I was livid. I proclaimed it the stupidest thing ever etc. And then came the time for the new season and I watched riveted and loved every bit of it. Joss and company made the whole thing work and work brilliantly.

It was from that season of Buffy that I learned an important lesson that has stuck with me to this day. When a creative person has proven themselves to you, trust them. Just shut your mouth, reserve judgment and give them room to show you where they want to take you. Then when the ride is over you can decide if you are going to continue to give them your trust.

With the prior Voyager novel Ms. Beyer earned my trust. She proved that she understood with a kind of passion and depth that not all do, what makes Star Trek so unique. So I waded in to The Eternal Tide.

I loved it. I loved seeing Seven and Hugh begin their relationship. I loved seeing how the fleet was finding it's footing as a working unit. I loved how assumptions I'd made about the details of Before Dishonor were shown to be wrong, and the truth made so much more sense. I loved getting to know more about Afsarah Eden and her history. I loved seeing Hugh and The Doctor snipe at each other. I loved an Internet meme coming out of the mouth of the only Trek character that it could have come from and not seemed forced. And to my shock and surprise, I loved the return of Janeway. I loved how her death was not undone, and how nothing that the characters have gone through in the last months has been made any less meaningful.

By the time the book was nearing its climax I was caught up completely. I was amazed and afraid. And when Junior gave his life to save the Multiverse, I cried.

Janeway's back. And she's back in a way that feels meaningful. There has been no "reset" button used here. (Compare this book to Year Of Hell which while it has some great moments is rendered almost meaningless by undoing everything at the last minute) Whatever happens next the characters are going to be dealing with the repercussions of their choices for some time to come. And I strongly suspect that some of those repercussions are going to be unexpected to us all.

If Ms. Beyer is permitted to write the next book however what will not be unexpected to me is how much I will enjoy it.

Peace and Long Life

12. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I was at the bookstore, saw Janeway on the cover, flipped to the back read that Janeway and Chuckles were in bed together, shuddered and put it back on the shelf.

13. CaptainDonovin

CaptainDonovin Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

While I'm not a fan of always finding a way to bring a character back from the great beyond, I did give this an 'outstanding' grade because there was enough here for me to give it such a high grade. Like someone several posts back noted, I would have liked more time to get to know these new crews, especially Bal Itak & Regina Farkas, two captains with a LOT of years in the center seat. Also was warming to Eden, the mysteriousness of her character was fun.

Despite that I always love a story where Q is involved. Not just Q, but Q, q, & Q. It was cool to have Amanda & Kes make an appearance. I like how the story played out, showing an softer side of Q I've not seen. The emotions Chakotay had seeing Katheryn back was a great moment, I've always Chakotay. I was briefly concerned that Chakotay was going to be another victim of this chapter of Treklits' latest murderous rampage.

Gotta cut this short (see avatar for reason) but I really enjoyed the book & hope there will be more Voyager to come.

14. rfmcdpei

A Janeway-Chakotay relationship makes as much sense as a Picard-Crusher one, IMHO.

15. teacake

Hey if this ardent J/7'er can choke it down anyone can.

16. rfmcdpei

Which Internet meme from the mouth of which character?

17. Stoek

Stoek Commander Red Shirt

When Tom tells Harry "Just sit there in your wrongness and be wrong."

18. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Both make me shudder...

19. teacake

Wow, you just don't want people to be happy.

20. dispatcher812

dispatcher812 Commander Red Shirt

I had been waiting for this book since it was first mentioned. I enjoyed Ms. Beyer's last books and was hoping this would continue that trend. However when I finally sat down to start reading it, I was disappointed on page one. I have never liked books that involve Q let alone many of them. It gets confusing at times when you have multiple Qs talking and it says "says Q", "Q said" or "exclaimed Q " and they are referring to 3 different ones. Who said What? I like to picture the scene in my head and this just does not work for me.

Another thing that bothered me was Janeway being brought back. Now, I have no problem with her, its just that the way she was brought back and the reason she was brought back really did not make sense. She was sent to that time for a reason but I did not see what she really contributed to the solution. If all it took was for Eden and Junior to go into Omega together, then what was she needed for. Data being found in the wreckage of the Schimitar seems more plausible then this.