DS9, Destiny & Typhon Pact

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Janos, Feb 25, 2013.

1. Janos

Janos Commander Red Shirt

So I am almost caught up with my DS9 relaunch lit. I am finally starting Soul Key.

I am aware of the big changes that have happened pre and post Destiny in terms of the Star Trek TNG "era" lit. However, should I read Destiny (I have all 3 books already in my to-read pile) before I read Rough Beasts of the Empire? I plan to read Destiny anyway (at some point), but wonder if I can just push through the next few DS9: TP novels to get fully caught up to Brinksmanship and be ok.

Thanks!

2. Thrawn

Thrawn Rear Admiral Premium Member

Yeah, you really should.

Even if you're staying totally DS9-centric, I'd still recommend at least Destiny and A Singular Destiny before starting Rough Beasts. Also be aware that a big DS9-relaunch subplot gets resolved in Paths Of Disharmony, which also features Shar. And if you read that, you might as well throw in the one TNG novel that takes place between Destiny and Paths, which is Losing The Peace. But I'd say Losing The Peace and Paths are optional; Destiny and A Singular Destiny are much more important.

3. Infern0

Infern0 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Disagree entirely, but that's just me.

That book gave me a headache.

4. Janos

Cool. Thanks.

I have all the TNG novels since Battle for Betazed to Singular Destiny/Losing the Peace. In terms of Shar
    isn't he no longer on DS9 as of Destiny, but on the Enterprise? How much of a DS9 stpry is it? Shar was always a weak link for me.

I may pick up Paths of Disharmany, but I have all the other DS9-proper TP books.

5. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

No, Shar did not transfer to that particular posting.

6. Thrawn

No, he's definitely a "guest star" in that novel, it's just a one-off resolving his particular story. If you didn't like Shar anyway, then don't worry about it :)

7. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Commodore Commodore

As I recall, in "Soul Key" Shar is still on his vacation/"honeymoon" and isn't really mentioned. I think at that point Shar's storyline was kind of on vacation for a future book where he would probably have had some role in the currently missing Ascendants stories.

8. Janos

I just read the back covers of the Destiny books and recall that Ezri is prominantly featured on the cover to the first one and noted in the back cover blurbs. I guess my Q that started this post was silly. Sorry. I'm all for reading Singular Destiny since I'm a KRAD fan, but folks here are indicating it sets up TP?

9. Thrawn

Yes, it does. It also features the Aventine again, if that helps :)

10. Paris

Paris Commodore Commodore

The Typhon Pact makes its first appearance in KRAD's A Singular Destiny.

EDIT: Thrawn beat me to it ;)