News about early 2014 schedule

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Defcon, Jun 30, 2013.

1. Charles Phipps

Charles Phipps Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Didn't Christopher speculate there was a 2nd Five Year Mission between Star Trek: The Original Series and Star Trek: The Motion Picture?

Or was it after TVH?

2. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

And David McIntee. He finally gave us a great Geordi story, and now not only is it being ignored, but apparently the editors in charge of Trek Lit won't work with him anymore.

3. JWolf

JWolf Commodore Commodore

I would prefer to read TOS set after the 5yr mission. There are plenty of gaps to fill in between the movies. Even between the 5yr and TMP. So let's do it. Let's stop the TV novels and go for other time periods.

4. JWolf

JWolf Commodore Commodore

Which is totally sleazy because they requested it, got it, and shafted the crap out of David.

5. Ktrek

Ktrek Captain Captain

Out of all the TOS books released since December I have not really enjoyed a single one. I'm especially unhappy with giving Mariotte another shot as his book I had to really force myself to finish it.

I am enjoying Chris' ENT novel though and will be looking forward to his second entry in the series. Also looking forward to Kristen's next VOY novel. All her books are great!

I think I'm at the point where collecting Trek books is no longer a must for me. I have every non-fiction book ever published by Pocket but the quality of the TOS line has forced me into a very hard position. I know that it won't make any difference in the sales overall but in a way I'll feel better knowing my hard earned dollars are no longer being wasted on poorly written stories. It's time for me to move on I guess but I'll still continue buying the other series as long as the quality holds up. If they decline as well I'll be truly done.

Kevin

6. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

That theory has been around for decades, Chris is no way near the first person to postulate it.

Wasn't there a regime change between IfM and CE?

7. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I suppose, but it would be nice if it varied a bit. I've only bought two Trek novels this year, DRGIII's TOS outing and ROTF. And I only bought DRGIII's novel since I love his work. I'm just not a big TOS fan.

Now I had to wait half a year for the novels I like. I suppose that this year it's kinda of ok, since we can read all of The Fall novels back to back. But in any other year, I'd really like to see some variation in what novels are released when, so no TOS for 6 friggin' months straight.

8. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

No. Some fans and novelists in the 1980s speculated that there may have been one, assuming the interval between TOS & TMP was closer to the real-life interval between them, despite Kirk's line in TMP about his "five years out there." Some of the '80s novels were apparently set in such a "second five-year mission," in that they alleged to be years after TOS yet still used the pre-TMP ship and uniform designs and character ranks. These include the first few Diane Duane novels, Corona, Pawns and Symbols, and Memory Prime.

All I've done is to discuss that practice from an earlier generation and contribute an interpretation of the chronology of the '80s novel continuity incorporating the "second 5YM" assumption used by some of its entries. It's other people's speculation, I just reported on it. And it certainly doesn't fit what's now generally known and accepted about the Trek chronology.

9. Charles Phipps

Thanks!

Either way, I'm happy to just accept the conceit of serialized fiction.

10. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Oh, it's definitely time-travel-y . . . and may just have a connection to one of the latter-day series.

(He says coyly.)

11. Defcon

Defcon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So Kirk & Co. discover a planet full of Mormons? :devil:

12. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

"Captain's Log. We have received an urgent distress call from the U.S.S. Brigham Young . . . ."

13. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm definitely forward to this line up of books.:hugegrin:coming out next year.No Tme like the past sound slike a time travel story. I'm definitely looking forward to getting this and the New Enterprise novel.Serpents in the garden Intriguing title for a novel.the Twok novel sounds good too.

14. Charles Phipps

In any case, I'm looking forward to this collection of books.

15. TerraUnam

TerraUnam Commander Red Shirt

Their replicators are down and they are out of Jello....

16. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well Gregs new book sounds like it could make me want to read it. I hope it turns out to be something I'd like.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2013
  17. Daddy Todd

Daddy Todd Commodore Commodore

I'd read that book. Hell, I'd love to WRITE that book!

--Todd, from Salt Lake City

18. Avro Arrow

Avro Arrow Vice Admiral Moderator

Nice! Can't wait! :techman:

19. CaptainDonovin

CaptainDonovin Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I for one am enjoying The Folded World & don't mind the setting of the end of the 5ym. Would love some fill in the gap stories from the TMP-TWoK time period (besides Ex Machina). I know Forgotten History touches on some events & there are probably older novels I don't know of that do as well.

20. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^There are a lot of older novels that are nominally set in the interval between TOS & TMP -- including just about any TOS novel by Howard Weinstein or L.A. Graf -- but few of them really do anything with the period that couldn't have been done in a 5-year-mission novel. The Graf books do focus heavily on Chekov as security chief, so there's that. Weinstein's Deep Domain offers a version of Kirk's decision to give up the ship again and go back to the admiralty. The two early Pocket novels by Sondra Marshak & Myrna Culbreath, The Prometheus Design and Triangle, are more heavily rooted in exploring TMP concepts than most Pocket novels, but the way they do so is, well, not that well-regarded.