I'm getting a motorcycle.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Tiberius Jim, Mar 22, 2013.

1. Pingfah

Pingfah Fleet Admiral Admiral

It looks pretty clean, just computing what that translates to in £s, and that Blue Book price seems pretty cheap for such a bike!

Drum Brake on the back, and just one disc on the front though? That doesn't seem like a lot of stopping power for such a heavy bike.

2. Avon

Avon Commodore Commodore

one disc stops my dads old norton pretty well and thats a heavy bike. unless its raining.

although i havent seen a modern bike bigger than a 125 with a drum brake before

3. Pingfah

Yeah, I don't like them, they are ineffectual, and hard to adjust. I had one on my last bike, and I hated it. I have 3 discs now, much better.

4. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

^And don't forget to sign your organ donor card.

(kidding) ;)

5. Tiberius Jim

Tiberius Jim Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Looks like I may not be getting that bike afterall. Going through the money aspect left me with the only option being financing, and with the way rates and terms work out for motorcycles, I wouldn't be saving much money even if they do drop the price to near Blue Book. And a main reason for getting the bike was to save money. The plan now is to save my pennies until I find one cheap enough/save up enough to pay cash. I want to feel free when I ride and actually fully owning a bike would go a long way to achieving that.

On that note, my birthday *is* coming up in May... ;)

6. Pingfah

I'm taking my friend shopping for her first motorbike tomorrow, should be fun!

She is insisting on one of these 125 cruisers though. :cardie:

7. Avon

Avon Commodore Commodore

125's are all slow and nasty, so a cruisery one should at least have a comfy seat. (i definitely have a comfy seat obsession)

actually i think 125s are a bit too slow for the roads nowadays. which makes it dodgy if you're a learner and you need to overtake a very slow car for instance.

8. Pingfah

125 Cruisers are particularly slow though, they are just too damn big & heavy for that size engine. The smaller 125s can be pretty nippy these days.

She's only just passed her CBT though, so she doesn't have much choice about what size engine she can go for.

9. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I'd think if you're starting out and intend to ride on the road, you should get the standard 250cc Honda Rebel (or several other brands' similar bikes). Enough engine to at least give you a chance out there. Unless you're huge and would otherwise bog that down. Or if you're tiny, short, or otherwise light of stature, maybe a 250 is all you'll ever need (or can touch the ground while on).

Never got the crotch-rocket idea, personally. Cool for going fast (which begs for a ticket or accident), but you're on your wrists all the time, so when we've gone on rides and a friend has had one, our butts might be a little sore at the end of the day, but he was usually crying and just about unable to use his hands/wrists at that point from the constant pressure. give me a cruiser with a nice comfortable seat (I've got a mustang seat, personally) any day.

And yeah, if you need to finance a $3500 bike, probably a smart move to pass for now. Save money on gas, but after you put some aftermarket toys on it (seat, saddlebags, whatever) and insure it, probably not a huge savings. If you're still interested, go on Craigslist or whatever and get yourself a $700-1000 starter bike and see if you like it first. Can get used to it, save some gas money, and as long as you don't ruin it, can resell it for about the same price. If you get a normal bike in good shape, they really don't depreciate much more after that, and it's always worth a grand if it's in good shape and runs.

10. Pingfah

^ Unfortunately in the UK you can only ride a 125cc for the first 2 years after passing your test, unless you go for a much longer and more expensive test in the first place, and that test is only open to people aged 24 and over.

Doesn't affect Flux of course, I'm just being informative :)

11. Avon

Avon Commodore Commodore

i really hate that american term 'crotch-rocket'. from now on i propose we call harley looking bikes 'arse-zeppelins'

12. Pingfah

:lol:

I'm not a fan of the term either, I prefer Sports Bike.

13. Kenbushway

Kenbushway Captain Captain

Yeah motorcycles can be fun. I prefer a Harley over a crotch rocket but crotch rockets are better in most ways(just not looks and style). One thing I was told when I said I wanted to ride one was that its not if you are going to crash (likely some pebble in the road) but when. As long as you wear an helmet I don't see that being to serious. I say have fun and enjoy. You only have 1 life to live.

14. Tiberius Jim

I sat on a Rebel at the dealer and it was way too small for me. I'm 6'3"/190lbs and a lot of folks agree that a 250 would be way too small even starting out.

15. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Which is why I said mostly tiny, short, or otherwise light dudes, and women. That whole bit was generic anyway, and not intended directly for you.

My first one was a 750cc, but it was 2 years older than I am. Just get something cheap, that runs, and learn to ride, then sell it back. Without doing much of any research, found a couple Virago 535 bikes in the $1500 range. SOme Yamaha VStar 650s in the $2500 range, a few Vlucan 500s, etc. Plenty to choose from, shouldn't be hard to find something that fits you and you can afford without buying new.

16. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

This is actually a very cool thing and I applaud you for it, Flux. I don't give two shits about you getting a motorcycle or not, but our returning and outgoing soldiers deserve all the respect in the world and they just don't get enough of it. Honoring the troops when they come home or get sent off to be deployed is a great thing and shows a lot of character on your part and I do respect you for that.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2013
  17. Tiberius Jim

I appreciate that. The way I see it, those guy do a lot more for us than any of us could do for them in return short of signing up ourselves. I often thought about joining up myself but have been told I'd never make it past medical (had a collapsed lung once, it can happen again at any time) so participating with the Warriors' Watch is what I do. I use my graphic design skills and put together a little personalized memento for each service member we welcome. Being able to ride with the rest of the guys instead of being back int he pack in a cage will just add to the fun factor. There's nothing quite like cruising down a road through red lights while local PD runs block for you in the intersection, especially when you see the look on the package's (the service member we're honoring) face as they soak it all in.

In case anyone is interested in what we do, here's a video I put together of one of out missions to give an idea of how they usually go. The Marine in this video and I have actually become friends as a result.

18. Tiberius Jim

I had my first portion of the MSF class last night in the form of the classroom session. I learned a lot and will be studying my rider handbook religiously. I already have a lot of it down though, apparently, since I aced my knowledge exam at the end with a perfect score. :)

19. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Other than having to pay more attention to corners and assuming the cars are actively attempting to kill you (assume they don't ever see you and you'll be much safer), the knowledge section isn't really anything much different from a car test.

It's the actual riding bit that's tricky ;)

How does CA work? Does this result in a permit, and you get a road test later? Or do they incorporate all of that into the class itself? Personally, I like that Rhode Island does the latter. They provide the bikes, you take the class, ends in the test from MSF basic rider class. You pass that, you get a permit, and can just trade it in after 30 days for a license, no more testing. In other states, you just take written test at DMV, they give you a permit, and you can be in the road! Dangerous situation that way, better that the learning is in controlled environment, and on smaller (250cc) bikes.

20. Pingfah

^ Funny, I have the perfect example to illustrate that today. I bought my friend her first bike at the weekend and delivered it to her. Today, on her second time out, she hit a gravel patch and fell off. Now that's just a combination of bad luck and lack of experience that could happen to any starter biker, but both she and the bike are fairly unscathed because she was on a small, relatively light & low powered bike.

Now, if that had been a 750, not only would the accident have been more likely to happen in the first place, but I'd bet we'd be talking injury, and some expensive repairs too.