Lt. Kim

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by c0rnedfr0g, Nov 11, 2013.

1. c0rnedfr0g

c0rnedfr0g Commodore Commodore

Why was Harry Kim never promoted to Lieutenant Junior Grade by Janeway while he was in the DQ? Couldn't she have issued a field promotion or something? I know she messed around with Tom Paris' rank a few times. And Picard made Wesley a full Ensign without him even attending the Academy.

It seemed like Kim saved the day quite a few times; I can't imagine it taking more than that to pass the rank of Ensign (esp. since he was Valedictorian of his Starfleet Academy class).

Thoughts?

Last edited: Nov 11, 2013
  2. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Who would be the crew's whipping boy if they promoted him?

3. Captain Kathryn

Captain Kathryn Commodore Commodore

Poor Harry. :(

4. dub

dub Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

After they demoted Paris, then promoted him again, Harry said something like "where's my extra pip?" *crickets*... And I just recently watched "Nightingale," which would have been a perfect time to promote the guy. But nope.

I also thought it was hilarious listening to the podcast I posted in an earlier thread when Wang said he did impressions and he thought they should have used them for comedy in the series but never did...and then there was the episode where the Barclay hologram did his impression of Janeway with Kim standing right behind him. Obviously that was overdubbed, but still. I bet Wang was thinking "man, this is what I wanted to do!" And then they let Seven do her best impression of "The Doctor" in "Body and Soul" (which I loved by the way)! But poor Ensign Wang doesn't get to do his impressions except at Trek conventions. I mean I don't really care for his character at all, nor the actor's performance, so it doesn't really matter to me. But...poor guy.

5. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

Harry turned down Seven's advances when she came on to him. That's why he's still an Ensign. No initiative.

6. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

In Nightingale, Janeway laughed at Kim when he insisted that he deserved a promotion.

Okay this is what rank means... You can control more drones to save the day.

The higher you rank, the more drones there are, until you're Captain and every one is a Drone.

All the times Kim saved the day did he prove that he can organize and coordinate to victory a small team of crewmen like an ensign should be able to do, a small team of officers like a lieutenant should be able to do, a large team of officers like a commander should be able to do, or the full crew like the Captain should be able to do?

There was Futures End, Warhead and Nightingale, but for the most part, Kim did what he was told or saved the day by himself without proving any skills in commanding others.

Kim was Captain for a Month.

The Killing Game.

He capitulated like a punkass bitch when his only act should have been to blow up the ship.

7. Pondwater

Pondwater Vice Admiral Admiral

Possible Nepotism. Janeway served under Admiral Paris for while. So, when Tommy Boy fracked up and was demoted and re-promoted, while Harry remained Ensign.

8. Guy Gardener

So you think Captain Paris knocked up Ensign Janeway (Cadet Janeway?) but fortunately Mrs Paris was so well emotionally put together that she not only forgave Owen, but raised another woman's son as her own?

9. Pondwater

Pondwater Vice Admiral Admiral

Mrs. Paris doesn't know about the secret affair between Owen and Katie. Owen just brought home the sandy haired, blue eyed bundle of joy. No explanation, she loved and raised Tom as her own. Tommy boy is a reminder of Owen's affair with Katie hence the resentment and the rift that was between he and Tommy boy for years.

10. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

I've always believed that the billet for an operations officer aboard an Intrepid-class ship only warranted an ensign (the rest of the department consisted of enlisted personnel). Promoting Kim really wasn't necessary unless Janeway wanted to give him greater authority over Paris and Torres. In Janeway's chain of command, Kim was exactly where she wanted him to be (it would be a different story if the Voyager was still in the Alpha Quadrant where people could transfer to other ships for advancement--Kim could have been a lieutenant aboard another ship or if Paris & Torres transferred, IMO).

Unlike real-world navies, Starfleet really doesn't have a problem if an officer stays at the same rank for a very long time. The exception might be if an officer refuses a promotion more than a few times, because it tends to send a message that officer doesn't want to advance and is content where they are.

11. Guy Gardener

So what about their babies from Threshold?

12. Timewalker

Timewalker Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady Premium Member

In many different universes, simultaneously.
    Would he have had the proper codes to enable him to activate the self-destruct sequence? I thought only the Captain and First Officer and other senior staff had those (ie. CMO, Chief Engineer). :confused:

13. R. Star

Paris rocked Janeway's world. Like father, like son. Nepotism was a factor from day one. Why do you think he got real pips instead of the Maquis tabs.

I dunno. On every other ship in Trek you had to have several officers turn on the self-destruct. Janeway instead flipped it like an on/off switch.

14. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

I don't know, all Kim really does is read aloud what his console says. Naomi can do his job. What did he do to save the ship? I'm drawing a blank.
    I think every officer has their own code and when XO's leave the ship, the computer recognizes the chain of command. Kim (and presumably the officer below him) should be able to blow up the ship.

15. Guy Gardener

The Self Destruct codes might be the easiest most efficient way to blow up a Star Ship, but, there is more than one way to skin a cat.

Setting the transporter to beam HALF the warp core into the torpedo cache comes to mind.

Turning off the navigation shields.

Supercharging the gravity overloading the structural integrity field.

Replacing the atmosphere with something flammable.

Creating Holographic super powered super soldiers to... hells even a holographic bomb would exact a real explosion if the safeties are off.

But the letter of the law is simple, the Hirogen under no circumstance should be allowed to walk away with advanced Federation technology that they can use to alter the galactic balance of power.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2013
  16. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

^True, Kim could just phaser the warpcore but I don't think he has what it takes.

17. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

I keep reading this thread title as Little Kim.

18. R. Star

^
    teacake win the thread!

19. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

^Lil' Kim does not deserve a promotion.

20. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Lil' Kim is just PERFECT the way he is! He's got booty!