Vorik the Ponfarr Vulcan

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by Red_Panda, Jul 11, 2013.

1. FFunctionalData

FFunctionalData Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I thought Vorik was cool.

2. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Acceptable mainstream Vulcan culture has "nothing" to do with Pon Farr.

Remember the Victorian denial?

You've heard todays "religious" argument that 14 year olds can not only be taught abstinence, but taught that it is wrong and sinful to masturbate.

Parents and the government can't stop this behaviour no matter how much they insist that meditation works and that meditation means meditation, not masturbation.

3. Red_Panda

Red_Panda Ensign Newbie

As a response to Guy Gardener's reflection on the actor...Unfortunately the actor had some sort of stroke that has reduced him to a semi-non-responsive state this past May.

http://www.gaslampball.com/2013/5/30/4380276/dick-enberg-tending-to-serious-family-medical-issue

There is an Alexander Enberg page on tumbr somewhere that says he spoke his first word. I think the main reason we haven't seen anymore of the actor is because...well, he's no longer able to. That's too sad, this man's too cute to be catatonic. I don't have all the details b/c his internet bios are sparse.

4. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

:(

I read all the tumblr stuff, very sad.

5. Guy Gardener

Hey! I was just talking about Surviving Gilligan's Island: The Incredibly True Story of the Longest Three Hour Tour in History on the Bus with someone the other day... Which Alexander had a small part in.

We can't be kind about the character just because "his" actor is having health issues.

That's really weak and ultimately disrespectful to lie so insincerely.

Besides, we're not attacking the character so much as the writer.

Who the #### wrote Bloodfever?

Lisa Klink

Hey! That lady wrote some really good 1st season Stargate. :)

Hmmm.

In the original script, it was supposed to be Tuvok pairing off with B'Elanna, but Tim Russ thought that 8pm was too early to talk about Adultery.

Last month Sesame Street introduced a new preteen puppet who's dad is in prison.

World's growing up.

6. teacake

I am sure plenty of adultery was going on during that 7 year tour that realistic people would never have expected to return from. How many of them found out their partner had moved on like Janeway did? Most I'd imagine. Especially as being a celebrity widower/widow is a great way to meet people, the world being full of folk who would love to comfort someone who has nobly sacrificed their spouse for science.

7. teacake

Also.. WHY couldn't we get those female Vulcans? What did they have to disappear?! Could have been all kinds of interesting. I'd rather see Vorik and female Vulcan no. 2 have to deal logically with needing each other for pon farr when they had mates/betrothed at home. Actual sorta interesting Vulcan stuff. Not the usual OMG he's lost control stuff that every series has done.

8. Sadara

Sadara Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I've posted all the updates on my tumblr; the most recent being yesterday. He is fully out of his coma and is walking, talking, memory coming back, etc, but he is still going to be in the hospital for a while. What they discovered according to the updates is the cause for the stroke was hereditary.

9. teacake

So is there any way to stop from having another one?

10. Sadara

Which is exactly why I didn't bring it up even though I've been following the updates for a month now.

11. Sadara

I have wondered that too. My mom is a nurse so I can ask her tomorrow if his particular situation is likely to happen again.

12. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Star Trek really has been rather... juvenile towards sex. From wacky Vulcans going out of control, catsuits for all females who can fill them, lube cha.. I mean decon chambers, to making up words for sex like jamaharon. They may as well put a sign on Risa saying "No Fat People Allowed" too.

13. Guy Gardener

Will Ferrell played a Funeral Crasher in Wedding Crashers, which is how he got his strange.

Voyager's widows and widowers back in the AQ, they would have congregated and mourned together and eventually mourned all night long together drunkenly. They became a peer group with anger issues disclaiming the universe as being neither fair nor logical, so hook ups were inevitable without the sex act taking place on top of some buggers "pretend" coffin avatar space holder.

This is likely?

But this is a certainty... "Hi, I know we've been lost in space together for four years, and we've barely ever even talked, but I just found out that my Husband is boning your wife, and they're not going to stop. I'm caught up in a revenge fantasy right now, so if you'd please take your pants off and assume the position, so that we can show those two sons of bitches exactly what it takes to really flush our combined wedding vows down the toilet."

Or words to that effect following a similar theme.

14. teacake

You won't get any arguments from me.

It's not like we fans are juvenile either. Science fiction encourages maturity because of all the philosophical questions it raises.

15. teacake

I knew someone whose father went away to war (WWII) for some years, was MIA and eventually turned up and went home to dear old England. His wife had mysteriously had another baby while he was gone but they just carried on and treated the child as if nothing was different.

16. Guy Gardener

Jesus that was only a year ago? I thought that was something that happened in 2006.

I totally derailed that conversation the hell away from women's breasteses.

17. Red_Panda

Red_Panda Ensign Newbie

Buddy, I wasn't trying to be kind to the character b/c of the actor. I was responding to this comment by talking about the actor...

I support Vorik b/c I think his character is cool. There's by bias. Yep I said it.

18. teacake

I wish we'd seen tearful fallout among the crew from when they got to start talking to earth. Oh well at least the one jilted lover we did get was Janeway, thus FREEING HER FOR SEVEN!!! Or whoever. Really, I'm generous enough to say "whoever".

It would have been very boring if Mark had been, "Oh Darling I'll wait for you!" and Janeway was then off the market in a much duller way than just being the Captain.

Imagine if you were back home and your spouse was lost on Voyager but really, though you didn't wish them ill, you were sick of that relationship and the fact that you were at some point going to have a very sympathetic out was something you felt guiltily excited about and so you set a date when you would tell everyone you were moving on now and then right before that date Voyager called.

19. Guy Gardener

"Honey, Kath, sweetie, sorry, I wasn't expecting you home for another thirty years... UM, our dog, your dog, it got into my chocolate, it's dead, if you'd just taken another 30 years like you were supposed to, you wouldn't have expected p... Kath, you got crazy eyes, seriously scary crazyeyes, put those crazyeyes away! Kath!!?"

"Harry follow that signal to it's root, target that son of a bitch with a full spread and fire, FIRE FIRE!!!!!"

"But ma'am, that'll wipe San Francisco off the map."

"FIRE!"

20. Guy Gardener

I felt the levels of assholicity in my bloodstream dip, you know "compassion" so what you 'heard" was me outwardly reconfirming my convictions to cornhole the truth at every opportunity.

I don't think I've actually had a bad word to say about Vorik before this thread and generally wanted more of th lad because, I like the wallpaper characters to be fleshed out which enhances the over all universe.

When the spotlight shone on the little guys on DS9 I was in hog heaven.

Bloodfever was directed by Andrew Robinson. Imagine if he had done a walk on/through in the background of this episode which would have anyone wonder if Seska hadn't actually been part of a double act, and how is it that Garak could flit back and forth between quadrants effortlessly?

Last edited: Jul 14, 2013