DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

I just might pick this up as well. I'm not so much into DC these days, but I used to be, and I consider the Giffen/DeMatties JL run to be one of my favorites.

2. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Why is Howard Porter doing costume designs for a comic being drawn by Kevin McGuire?

Division of labour possibly, or maybe Howard dropped out of the project early on, but it hardly seems decent that that Kevin is being forced to work with Howard's wardrobe if Kevin was brought in on the project first?

Best guess?

Howard did those drawings 5 years ago and they have been gathering dust waiting for someone to do anything with them.

The Year 3000 means that these guys will be bumping heads with the Legion of Super Heroes eventually.

Oh, I almost forgot.

Squee!

3. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

I had the exact thought.

I wonder, since the promo art was them all locked up in embrace, how much gratuitous relationship stuff this Supes/WW title is going to have? Is it going to be like the Moonlighting/Bones of superhero titles where the bickering hides their passions only for Diana to slap him then kiss him. :rolleyes:

I'm inclined to pass on that title just on the early promo they showed.

4. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

"You know that reporter guy that kinda looks like Superman, but with glasses? He's dating a woman who kinda looks like Wonder Woman. But with glasses. Just like the real Superman and Wonder Woman are going out. What are the odds?"

5. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

Issue #3 will deal with the trouble they face when Facebook starts tagging their photos. "is this Clark Kent, Superman?"

6. Vendikarr

Vendikarr Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I can imagine a comment under the picture saying "It can't be, Kent wears glasses."

7. Guy Gardener

Remember when Byrne tackled thisin the 80s?

A Super Computer crunched the data, and spat at the ultimate answer that Clark Kent is Superman...

To which Lex Luthor says something like "Idiot broke down son of a bitch stupid computer! NO! NO! NO! Superman has the power of a god! No one with the powers of a God is going to spend their leisure time as this pathetic human stain."

8. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah the very concept was so ridiculous to Lex that he completely dismissed the computer's results...I think he either fired or killed the scientists who designed it as well!

9. Guy Gardener

Meanwhile just before Final Crisis, Lex takes a break during a big ass fight, and he talks to Superman as if they're friends, and as if Superman is Clark Kent and Superman is not shocked or surprised. it was just two buds hanging. Maybe it's like with the Flash's Rogue's Gallery, they never go for the kill, and niether does the Flash... There are rules. Lex doesn't attack Clark's family, barely acknowledges that Clark is Kal-El and in return, Superman does not melt him in his sleep from orbit.

That was two reboots ago.

The situation reminded me of the While E. Coyotee Vs Sam the Sheep Dog cartoons with how after they finished trying to kill each other all day, they clocked out at 5 o'clock on a literal punchclock, then went out for a beer together.

Batman and the Joker in the killing Joke, less so.

10. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

What issue was that in Guy?

11. Guy Gardener

It was pretty close to an anniversary issue. Two or three issues before 700 or 800 in one of the main title range, so that means Action or Adventures or... Sorry, I'm not very accurate with the new stuff, or DC in general.

And no matter what I used to know about Marvel, I'm quite sure I've forgotten 90 percent of what I retained, which was less than 10 percent of what I read.

12. shivkala

shivkala Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It was around Action 800, Action Comics #795, to be exact, but a few years before Final Crisis or Infinite Crisis, for that matter. It happened during "Ending Battle," in late 2002. Manchester Black, from the Elite, set up things to make Superman run through a gauntlet. One part of it is having Luthor "discover" Superman is Clark Kent. He did this by making Lex believe he was being given satellite information no one had ever seen that showed Kal's rocket landing on the Kent farm.

In the scene you are talking about, Luthor is president, but ducked out on everyone (it was a common theme during his presidency that himself, Vice President Ross, Lana Lang Ross, etc. would disappear for various reasons). He went to a hide-out that he told Superman he would destroy right after their meeting. He realized Superman came there because he heard Lex's heartbeat, which made Lex realize Superman had memorized his heartbeat. Lex convinces him that the Hell Superman is currently going through is not due to him, even though he knows Superman's secret.

He also reveals that the reason he has not used the information on Superman's identity is that he knows it will hurt Lois. Lex reveals he still loves Lois and wouldn't want to hurt her.

13. Silvercrest

Silvercrest Vice Admiral Admiral

Amanda McCoy. He fired her and she spent the next couple of years trying to dig up enough dirt on Clark to vindicate herself. She also stole the Kryptonite ring. Eventually she was killed in a mugging, Batman became involved, and Superman gave him the ring as a safeguard in case he lost control. This is also when Bruce's and Clark's identities were revealed to each other (not entirely voluntarily) for the first time post-Crisis.

14. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

Wonder Woman continues to be the best thing that is coming out of DC.

Poor Lennox though.

Guess he had to die to show that the First Born was serious business.

Though I thought they'd have kept him alive for TT.

15. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

Got Batman & Batgirl #21. She replaced Robin in the title. A quick glance through it makes it look like an extra issue of Batgirl.

16. Admiral_Young

^ I don't know if you know but the current issues are going through the five steps of grief and have featured Bruce's allies as he deals with the loss of Damian. Next issue for example will be featuring Catwoman I believe.

17. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Oh, I read that in a trade. Lex learned Superman's secret ID from Black, but then at the end of the story Black erased it from Lex's mind and he couldn't remember anymore.

18. Admiral_Young

19. Admiral_Young

20. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral