The Tardis Exterior Final Designs Thread

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by starsuperion, May 12, 2010.

1. starsuperion

starsuperion Commodore Commodore

Would it be wrong of me to give you guys a new Tardis design, that is significantly better then those you have already seen?

Seriously..

I have something I did, and man.. i feel horrible..

it's majestic and freaking fits even better then what I have done..

do you guys want to see the new design? Should I display it? Or should I just keep following the path i have set forth already??

What I have done is nothing short of fantastic, and fulfills many of you fans who have discussed with me your "concerns" that the designs I have thus far related are not representative of the sheer massive size of the Tardis..

this newer design covers that, and on another level fixes issues that those purists of the classic era have raised about the Tardis being machine.. and those who like the living aspect of it..

I figured it out..

and to be honest..

I feel bad that thus far, I have taken us down a road that, well now in comparison,

dwarfs what we have seen..:eek: this came about cause my other designs on my portable hard drive are unaccessible due to some issue.. not sure what it is but all my art is tied up on my portable hard drive..and I am extremely sad about that :( and worried..

I don't know how to do a poll,
    But I can tell you..

I would like to know what you guys think..

Should I bring a new Tardis design to this forum, or shoudl I leave it alone..

(I am really thinking the new design will be herald as the definitive Tardis..in it's own reality, even over anything released by the BBC officially.. seriously, the design is that awesome...)

so..

yes to the new design
    :techman:

Or no, stay where we are, and expand on that line of designs..
    :)

Please let me know guys/Gals..:confused:

this adventure we are taking hinges on this decision, cause everything here-after will be based on this new design..or what we have already seen..

your choice...

2. Skellington

Skellington Part-time poltergeist Rear Admiral

Is there an option for "F*** YEAH!"?:):techman:

3. Joy

Joy Commodore Commodore

I wanna see anything and everything you've done and will do! I don't care if it's drastically different!

4. Sean_McCormick

Sean_McCormick Captain Captain

Judging by the steady progression of awesomeness, that you have presented us so far:

^This!

5. BlastHardcheese

BlastHardcheese Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I believe I speak for the entire forum with the following request: Quit the foreplay and SHOW US ALREADY!

6. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

In the paraphrased words of a certain rouge Romulan "GIVE US EVERYTHING!"

7. dormouse

dormouse Ensign Red Shirt

Please show us more!!! :drool:

I was not impressed by the BBC Books The Tardis Handbook. :(

8. starsuperion

Okay well, I revised the design and from all the excellent and wonderful words of encouragement, I decided to go ahead and give you guys a peek at the new version..

So this is finally what I had been thinking of, it just took me several tries to get it out of my head and on to digital paper.. LOL..

it's size matches more of what the Tardis would be in it's own dimension.. and so I placed an enterprise Dreadnaught for comparison..Just to show how large the ship is..

now you are looking at it from the side view, and the top view will come later as well as the bottom view.. the full schematic will follow.. but I hope you guys like this new direction much better then the old ones.. it will be more in line with the sheer massive size of the Tardis as it should be..

anyways, let me know if you like this revised design better..thanks :)

http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/9527/finaltardisfinal.png

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 7, 2010
  9. Brent

Brent Admiral Admiral

Now we are talkin, that is AWESOME, perfect job

10. starsuperion

Thanks Brent!

here is one without the clouds and text..:techman:

[​IMG]

http://img64.imageshack.us/img64/6091/finaltardisfinal2.png

Note:

• Earthshock Bombs consist of fission-fusion devices that create a tiny hole in the Space-Time Continuum. This creates massive amounts of radiation and inter-temporal shock waves. These weapons were occasionally mounted on Type 40 TARDISes and were capable of reducing large asteroids to rubble.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2010
  11. starsuperion

Why is the Tardis so massive?

I have the explanation..

think about the universe, the size and scope of the Galaxy..

the Time Lords spent much of their early life studying as scientists other species and races..the Chameleon circuit was established for this specific role.. as a Tardis Lands on a planet, it would immediately conform to that planet's terrain.. in order to blend in and keep from disturbing that planets natural Order..

As the Machine sat there on the planet, Gallifreyan scientists and chronologists mapped out the surface of the world, in a period of a few months.. this was done by strategic scanning. Their Ship scans could map the underside and topside of a World within a range of 10,000 miles, and subsequently know the exact mineral and structural content, or animals in that particular area. the Tardis upon completion, would then travel ahead a few hundred years to monitor the changes on the planet, and I suspect would do this until the planet faced it's own extinction..or the Time Line barrier leading back to "current Gallifrey Time" was reached..

The Time Lord explorers, would then leave the planet and head to another system, mapping and monitoring a planet through it's life cycle and the inhabitants and their cultures and advancements..

the Tardis Vast Memory Bank systems would create Massive Holo-deck rooms for the Time Lords to step into and view specific species and cultures without ever having to step outside the Tardis. They could also experience worlds where they would not be able to breathe without a suit..This would prove as an excellent way to chronicle and experience the alien civilizations the Tardis visited..this also aided the Time Lords in their study of the planets, and the ultimate knowledge gained by their ship would then be downloaded into the Universe Matrix on Gallifrey, which contained all the technology and chronicles of the life span of the universe as much as they could gather...a goal for the Time Lords to know everything there was about the Milky way, and other Galaxies from beginning to the Present day on all worlds.. hence the knowledge and strides gained from explorations, experimentation, and recording could be used to enhance the overall Time Lord technology and society.

a Brilliant plan..

the reason a Type 40 Tardis and all Tardises up to the Type 91 (type 91 Tardises were much smaller but were armed to the Teeth with all kinds of weaponry), are massive is not because of it's need to transport people, or populations.. it is solely for use as a science vessel, the need to pick up alien technology and study it, rooms for holo-deck exploratory and scientific experiments. The Tardis would and could gather specimens of life to be studied in a safe environment never having the effect of unleashing some Germ or Bacterial horror on Gallifrey, or if a portion of the Tardis where the experiment was being done was compromised, the ship could jettison that section for containment purposes or to conserve energy..either way, the primary mission of the Type 40 Tardis and subsequent Ships was to map and explore the cosmos, and gather as much data as it possibly could on planets, races, species, solar activity, meteor schedules, and comets, technological advancements, and the overall general state of the universe.

Until they capped themselves into a bubble and stopped their mapping and exploration and simply fell into a state of stagnation.. Time Lord Technology is very antiquated at times, and yet advanced in action.. that is to say that a Time Lord computer or part has lots of wires, and chips, and pieces of moving parts, while their application is fantastic. much of the Tardis systems are made to coincide with being replaced readily.. were a Tardis to have say light paneling as it's control systems, the repairing and maintenance would be difficult should the ship find itself trapped and not able to return to a repair bay on Gallifrey.

there were only 305 Known Type 40 Tardises in use by the Time Lords, this suggests to me that they were limited in resources, or their society had used the Type 40 on a limited scale while mapping the universe at large.. so with so few ships in use, having the size of the ships as massive as possible could ensure that more data and artifacts could be stored in the ship meaning longer durations of study and experimentation over vast sectors of the galaxy and time zones..

the future beyond Gallifrey's current time line was expressly forbidden.. only scientific study in the past of a world and to the present of the Time Lord pilots time line, was allowed..

Last edited: Jun 8, 2010
  12. Admiral_Young

I've not read the Tardis Handbook yet but this probably OWNS it! Is there a website I could go to or you have with all of this written down and posted? Are you going to get around to doing the interior of the Tardis? The Exterior looks amazing but it's really the inside that I'm most interested in and am also looking forward to the rest of your Doctor "Who's Who's" profiles.

13. starsuperion

well the eventual plan is to do the entire ship, once I got the exterior designed, I am going to map out the interior, and the engines, and so on..so much to do, so little time..

but yeah, right now, I am in the process of refining the exterior... once that is done I will move onto the deck plans, and particular places of known interest.. the memory banks, the cloister room, the various places seen in the TV series, and comics..and most notably a map of the tardis various console rooms..

once completed, this is sure to more then compensate for the Official BBC version, as mine tackles everything from all books, radio,and TV media.

as for the explanations and writings on the Tardis.. I will be adding that to the work.. trust me all of this will be available once completed on my deviant art page.. I will link to it once finished..right now I just need to find the time to work on this..

I appreciate your kind words of encouragement, and I am glad people like what I am trying to do..I spent a heck of a lot of time researching this stuff..

14. Admiral_Young

I bet you did and have...I love your explanations and the text is really what I was wondering about. I don't feel like going back to the older threads and copy and pasting everything into a single word document, although I'm tempted. Continue onwards and upwards!!

15. starsuperion

Thanks Admiral, I shall..

I will be doing just explanations of how the ship works, and how it can exist within it's own dimension and travel through time in ours, this will be explained as silhouette diagrams that will accompany each text section.. I want to make those fit the art and style of the rest of the schematics I will be doing..

BTW, the holodeck stuff where the time lords can visit the worlds they study is in a doctor who magazine, or comic.. and can be seen in the new doctor who collected edition book.. it is the issue where Frobisher, and Peri get lost in the Tardis, and the 6TH Doctor has to locate her, because there is an intruder on board the ship..

plus there is a menagerie of endangered alien species being kept in a zoo on the Tardis, this also supports the section I stated above as to the reasoning behind the Tardis and it's massive size in it's own dimension..:techman:

16. Admiral_Young

Just a note on the "Earthshock Bomb" great name except why would the Time Lords call it an "Earth" shock bomb and not something like a Temporalshock Bomb or realityshock. I think that's a far better name for it and it matches with your description for it.

17. starsuperion

I don't know, that is how the author in the novel from where I got it said it was called.. I suppose the name earthshock is better then calling it dirt shock, or groundshock, or ground quake bombs..I like Temporal shock as well.. hmmm.. maybe I should just call it aTemporal shock and future fans can argue over the correct phrase citing your version versus the author's version.. LOL

that sounds fantastic! let's go with temporalshock:techman:

18. Admiral_Young

^ I just realized though that it makes it sound like a Dalek weapon. COMMENCING USE OF THE TEMPORALSHOCK BOMB! ALL WILL BE EXTERMINATED!!!

19. starsuperion

yeah maybe it was called earthshock because in the gallifrey language, translated into human english, earth is the closest word..since Earth means a large body of ground, dirt, rocks, etc.. it is easy to se how that could pertain to meteors or avalanches of rock on the ship on some distant foreign world..

better safe the sorry..:techman:

below is the final Tardis design.. the top view will follow..

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited: Jun 10, 2010
  20. Admiral_Young

That's awesome.