Neil Gaiman's "The Graveyard Book" Awarded The Newbery Medal

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by S. Gomez, Jan 27, 2009.

1. S. Gomez

S. Gomez Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

One of my favourite books that I read last year, The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman, has been honoured with The Newbery Medal. If you haven't yet read it, you really should.

Here's the full list of winners. Gaiman talks about first hearing the news on his blog.

2. Spaceman Spiff

Spaceman Spiff Intrepid Explorer Administrator

I just spotted this now. Thanks for the link.

It's a great little book. I believe they're already developing it for a movie.

3. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

I have it on my to read pile, along with Coraline, and Anansi Boys. At the minute though I'm trying to catch up with the DS9 books, and a couple of Discworld books to read.

4. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

I've just read it, and it was pretty book. Easily the best thing Gaiman has written outside of comics, in my opinion.

5. S. Gomez

I didn't know that before reading that someone had been confirmed as director on Gaiman's blog. I have to say, I'm not a big fan of this process that immediately takes books to be made into films; why can't they let it sit for a while?

6. blockaderunner

blockaderunner Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You should then express your concern to Mr. Gaiman. When he completed Coralkine, before sending it to the publisher, he sent a copy of the manuscript to Henry Selick. So he had this in mind for a while.

7. S. Gomez

So I have to agree with him?

8. Spaceman Spiff

Spaceman Spiff Intrepid Explorer Administrator

No, he was telling you where to express your concern. ;)

I can't really blame them for wanting to get going right away. It make economical sense to get it into production while the book is still getting press, etc.

9. Irken

Irken Cadet Newbie

You don't have to agree with anything just because someone else does. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.