Teaser a Slight to Kirk?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Franklin, Jan 18, 2008.

1. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Actually,it's not. It's just more playground stuff - usually referred to as "You're Another!"

2. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

I didn't actually comment on US Legal shows in general, I commented on one specific show, so it's a bit naughty of you to phrase your question like that. Here in the UK, Boston legal pulls down an audience of about 100,000 - 150,000 people and is shown at weird hours by one of the minor channels - I wouldn't even class that as cult viewing. Now if you were talking about Alley McBeal... ;)

It seems to be pretty much the same in spanish and french speaking countries (from what I watch).

3. Brutal Strudel

Brutal Strudel Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You know, of late, I've been trying to show you respect and the benefit of the doubt but this tears it. HOW DARE YOU play holier than thou when you just opened a thread (promptly closed) obviously intended to point out how "unfit" Shatner is to play the part? Jesus Christ, Dennis, I remember the tissue thin arguments you made when I pointed out that

A. Flag officers often tend to the portly in RL and
    B. Fans noted as early as 1982 that Nimoy was visibly too old to play a long lived Vulcan

and now you pull this "I'm so much more enlightened than you" shit? This weaselly "if I pitch my schoolyard taunts at a high enough level of pseudo-intellectual deniability, no one can call me on it" horseshit?

Cary was right. You, sir, are a mendacious lightweight.

Mods, I'll kindly take my warning now.

4. Samuel T. Cogley

Samuel T. Cogley Vice Admiral Admiral

Speaking of lightweight, if you are going to suck it up and take the warning, you might as well say something a lot stonger than that! Come on, man! The Klingons are watching.

5. Peacemaker

Peacemaker Vice Admiral Admiral

You know, I don't think it's a slight to Kirk for the teaser to feature Nimoy, since: (a) Nimoy is in the film and (b) nobody has seen Pine as Kirk. Why would they have Pine do it?

It's logical (allusion to Spock and Vulcans intended) to do have Nimoy do the teaser for that reason. It is also quite logical, though not necessary, to have Pine do the standard Kirk voiceover @ the end of the actual film, which I would bet 500 quatloos may well be what they have in mind.

6. Kegek

Kegek Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I have to admit, that's the classiest flame I've seen in a long while. Vulgarity these days is just so, well... vulgar. It's obvious, it's mundane, it's boring.
    I know plenty of people who know of it or watch it in passing, though. But still, William Shatner remains far better known - here, anyway - for his Star Trek role.

7. Brutal Strudel

Oh, and it is perfectly acceptable to point out that "you're another" when you truly are another.

Gotta say, Dennis, your smug "bait them and pounce" style would do Karl Rove proud.

Aside to Sam and Kegek: I've been man-tits deep in 19th Century lit so my flames will tend toward the refined. Besides, Mr. Bailey is not really, say, a human sphincter. But a lying poseur? That seems to fit.

8. Kegek

Kegek Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Any Oscar Wilde? One of my all time favourite authors. Now he knew a good insult. :)

9. Brutal Strudel

Nope--all Americans. Studying for my last exam to get my masters. Right now, I'm reading Portrait of a Lady and listening to Moby Dick in my car. I recently read The Scarlet Letter, The Awakening and Huck Finn.

Thanks fer asking, though. ;)

10. Samuel T. Cogley

Samuel T. Cogley Vice Admiral Admiral

Mark Twain has some great insults.

11. CommanderRaytas

CommanderRaytas DISCO QUEEEEEEN Rear Admiral

Intergalactic Planetary Planetary Intergalactic
    Friend, this is only a message board. Now whatever experiences you have made with drinking might be tragic, but it's not my problem and I don't care. Like you don't care about my personal woes- and frankly, you shouldn't.

Besides I got what you were trying to say, I just felt you are over reacting and taking this way too seriously. And I don't think it's logical, it's that old "you insult mine, so I'll insult yours".

Calm down. You're too sensitive.

12. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

He really said that? I can't find it. If so, now that IS a slight.

It's interesting that Shatner has wormed his way into the discussion. I didn't mean not using Kirk was a slight to him at all. Just Kirk. As someone posted way upstream, you can't slight fictional characters, but whatever. Certain characters do take "ownership" of certain quotes and tag lines. Despite delivering it in TWOK, "Space, the final frontier...," is no more Spock's than Kennedy's line is LBJ's or Armstrong's line is Aldrin's.

Having Kirk (Pine) say it in a confident, commanding voice might have conveyed the energy, promise, and ultimate fulfillment of space exploration that the teaser is trying to evoke. Instead, Nimoy sounded old and tired. [I'm prepared to accept a bombardment of rocks and garbage for that last thought, but it's just my observation.]

13. Baldus885

Baldus885 Captain Captain

:wtf:

They're just trying to generate interest in the movie. I doubt the feelings of an entirely fictional character were taken into consideration.

14. Brutal Strudel

I have no need to calm down as there was nothing incendiary in my response to you. I merely responded to what you were saying.

BTW, have you stuck up for Shatner on any of the numerous occasions he's been insulted? If you have, you have room to criticize. If not, I'll ask the question I've asked you before: why does Nimoy's ruinous indulgence get a free pass where Shatner's doesn't? (And please refrain from a frat style "yeeeah-yuh, booze!" if you wish to be taken seriously.) It's not a matter of sensitivity, it's a matter of honesty and intellectual integrity, two things in short supply on this board.

But I've made my point and I'll lay off Len--my best friend is an alcoholic and an anorectic. I love her drunk or sober, chunky or thin. I also love the performances turned in by Shatner and Nimoy over the years and I feel that, if we must have Nimoy in this film, we should also have Shatner. It'll run like a car with a flat without him.

15. CommanderRaytas

Brutal Strudel:

honestly, the last thing I want is insult someone important to you. It was a joke. And it was stupid, admittedly so. I actually didn't mean to be taken seriously when I wrote that.

As to your opinion, I think, in all honesty, that insulting anyone for their habits or their weight (and one of my best friends is bulimic and addicted to drugs, so I know where you're coming from) is ridiculous.

I for one am one of the people who does not need Shatner to be in the new movie. That does not mean I don't find it tasteless when people call him fat and say that's the reason he didn't get casted. It is ridiculous. You are right. Because if that were so, you should not cast someone with an alcohol addicton or whatever destructive habit they might have.

Having said that, I disagree on the point that Shatner should have been casted, but it has nothing to do with his age, weight or personality.

I hope this was less stupid and insulting to you. Didn't mean any harm.

Can we agree to disagree on the Shatner thing, then?

16. Brutal Strudel

You did not insult her so you need not apologize. Indeed, I was only trying to contextualize my apparent insensitivity to Nimoy. He's a fine actor and I'm a fan.

My opinion vis-a-vis Shatner is a nuanced one. I really think Trek XI would do best to eschew any of the old cast and just start fresh. Barring that, Shatner is no more physically unfit (TNG had a ton of portly flag officers) than Nimoy. Indeed, Shatner carries his weight well and moves like he's in his 50s.

(Of course, Kirk's having died in GEN presents a problem but I say, if they can change pesky things like the design of the Enterprise, they can ignore pesky things like a really bad movie.)

Please do not feel any of the anger I expressed toward another poster here was in any way directed at you. Indeed, this last post of yours had added to my day. Thanks! :)

17. CommanderRaytas

:)

That's cool. I'm happy.

18. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

I'm still so ecstatic that contemporary SHATNER IS NOT IN THIS MOVIE. It would be ruined! Yay JJ!

RAMA

19. The Squire of Gothos

The Squire of Gothos Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

True and Patrick Stewart has "spoken" the lines (albeit with a mild change for the 90s) more times than either of them.

The closest Shatner got was at the close of TUC, when he dedicated the continuing voyages of the starship Enterprise to its new crew who will take it to "where no man, where no one, has gone... before". Which IMHO was a pretty good delivery in itself and finished the old crew's journey nicely.

20. PKTrekGirl

PKTrekGirl Arrogant Niner Thug Admiral

Well, as you no doubt expected, you have a warning for flaming. For this post or for the last one - take your pick.

Comments to PM.