‘Superman & Batman’ movie will follow ‘Man of Steel’

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JoeZhang, Jul 20, 2013.

1. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

If they brought Bale back, wouldn't it be understood that it was supposed to be the same version of the character?

2. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

3. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I really, really, really can't see Orlando Bloom as Batman. :wtf:

4. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

Hell, I might as well throw my name in the ring. I will be playing the next Batman!

5. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

I'm Batman

6. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

7. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Agreed. Bale definitely did a great job in the role, but I don't think he really drove those movies or made them work the same way Downey did with Iron Man.

What made the Nolan movies work was Nolan's commanding style and rich, complex storytelling. They weren't just a vehicle for Bale to do his thing and show off for the camera.

8. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

Even in the case of RDJ, I really think super-hero movies are the new James Bond or Doctor Who. As long as you have a good actor who takes over and makes the role his or her own, you can continue to make successful movies (of course the movies themselves have to be good).

9. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

That's the big difference. Remove Downey and ALL IM films fall apart.

Batman Begins, TDK and TDKR are so well done that they don't need a specific actor to carry them.

10. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

As regards the Orlando Bloom story, it comes from the Express stable, which automatically makes it suspect. Mind you, I do remember his name being floated about a decade or so in connection with Superman, though it was more like fan-suggestion than a serious possibility.

Though, as I recall, Wolfgang Peterson was linked with a superman-batman film about a decade ago, then went and made Troy instead, in which Bloom played Paris. Whilst promoting that movie, Peterson was supposed to have said that he'd still like to make the S/B film but would have Troy's Bloom and Eric Bana in the leads. IIRC, he wanted Bana for Batman and Bloom for Superman.

11. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Commodore Commodore

I think that will work with some superheroes but not all. Doctor Who is a tv series. The James Bond films are made much quicker than most film series, definitely faster than superhero ones. So far most superhero actors play their parts only 3 times, maybe four.

If the pattern becomes the actors are replaced quicker I think they will not feel like they can make the character their own. James Bond and Doctor Who are largely defined by the actor playing the part. I think there is a risk with trying that with superheroes wearing masks. If they are quickly replaced the performances will become generic.

12. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

13. Lookingglassman

Lookingglassman Admiral Admiral

Can't wait to see it.

14. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

15. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't know why, but I really like the idea of Joe Manganiello. I know he doesn't have the star power Warners is probably looking for, but physically he just looks like the perfect guy to go up against Cavill's Superman.

He's tall and massive, and would probably be pretty damn intimidating in a Batman costume. Seeing those two square off would be really cool, I think.

16. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

So was Christopher Reeve when he was first cast as Superman. Actors bulk up for roles all the time.

Not that I can really see Bloom as Batman . . ..

17. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

So was Bale who went to dangerous weight territory after "The Machinist"

But then he bounced back and became too fat for the Batman begins suit

18. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Bloom actually got pretty ripped for his role in Kingdom of Heaven (though you can only tell if you watch the Director's Cut), but even then I don't think he looked like he had the right kind of frame for Batman.

19. StarTrek1701

StarTrek1701 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

If Matt Bomer isn't cast as Batman it will be a grave injustice.

20. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

I never thought that Reeve bulked up for Superman. He looks just like an average man in tights.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2013