Does Superman Need A Make-Over?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Jetfire, Aug 18, 2010.

?

Does Superman Need A Make-Over?

Poll closed Nov 16, 2010.
  1. No. The Traditional Look Is Fine.

74.4%
  2. Yes...Like Superman Returns.

16.3%
  3. Yes...Like Superman X.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Yes...Like Clark's Outfit Smallville S9.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Yes...Something Totally Different Though.

9.3%
  6. Meh...Whatever.

9.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. TiberiusMaximus

TiberiusMaximus Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

As long as he doesn't look like the Michelin Man on steroids, I don't really care what his costume looks like. He's super-strong because he's an alien, not because he has Hulk syndrome. Actually, as long as he doesn't look like the Michelin Man or The Blur, I'm fine with it.

2. A beaker full of death

A beaker full of death Vice Admiral Admiral

Hell yeah! :techman:

I have serious misgivings.

http://www.examiner.com/science-fic...eral-hollywood-destroys-another-american-icon

3. A beaker full of death

Yet again a reason to bring back the Earth 1 Superman. He was a tv reporter/anchorman.

I thought he meant the Kirk Alyn version.
    Me, I love the G. Reeves version.

4. Lapis Exilis

Lapis Exilis Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Ick. The only thing TV "reporters" report these days is their own ill-informed opinons.

Unless they're Jim Lehrer. You want to put Supes on PBS - I have no problem with that.

Which was heavily based on the Fleischer cartoons...

5. iguana_tonante

iguana_tonante Admiral Admiral

Yeah, truly an enlightening article. The author is a buffoon. "Why do liberals hate America?" Really? :lol:

6. Kirkman1987

Kirkman1987 Commodore Commodore

I was indeed refering to the Fleischer cartoons, some of the most expensive and sophisicated animation of it's day. I agree they would make a good starting point for those making the new film.

Primarily, the Fleischer cartoons show a fast paced style of action we have yet to see in a live action Superman film, that would be very exciting. Donner's Superman is a slower more mythical figure than the Superman in the shorts, and the tech of the time likely wouldn't have allowed the Fleischer style to translate anyway. (who could do anything through high budget animation). With today's tech, it could be done. The Fleisher action setpieces are fantastic, almost Indiana Jones meets Superman.

Secondly, I would like a return to the golden age clark seen in the shorts. Clark is slightly bumbling, but he is shown to be a adventurer and a crusader for Justice. He is the equal of Lois Lane, and thier intelligent banter and competition would be a welcome change of pace from clumsy Clark's antics.

7. Kirkman1987

Agreed. Calling Joe Johnston Un-American is silly. He made The Rocketeer for heaven's sake, one of the most gee whiz pro-US comic book films ever.

8. A beaker full of death

^That's true. But some of his statements (in the original article) are troubling.

9. arch101

arch101 Commodore Commodore

Nah. Superman Returns showed that the Richard Donner universe still holds up well with only minor updating. I DO think that making the costume resemble the 40s cartoon version was a brilliant idea. Get Mr. Routh back and let's get this show moving!

10. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

HERE you can go through a complete comparison of the costume.

My only real complaint with the Superman Returns costume was no \S/ on the cape. I do understand the technical reason why it wasn't included though.

[​IMG]
    Chris Reeve's cape.

11. Kirkman1987

Agree to disagree I suppose.

I think that article made more out of Johnston's statements than was there. I'm not sure what's wrong with celebrating other nations in this film along with America (I assume the allies.) or with the USO idea. He will still wear a combat version of the costume later on, and the reluctance of him to perform in the show is more"I'm up here performing in a flag get-up whille these real Americans are fighting and dying" than any unpatriotic sentiment. I liken his USO feelings to a guy like John Wayne, who was always guilt ridden about never having served.

the article was an excuse to blast liberal hollywood and espouse some politics. From the author's rage, you would think Oliver Stone was making this movie.

12. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

I agree, but would argue that it's already been done. For me, Dick Donner's 1978 film was the definitive film Superman. Although, truth be told, I enjoyed both versions of Superman II also.

13. FordSVT

FordSVT Vice Admiral Admiral

Superman doesn't need to be reinvented, at least not in the way Hollywood has a habit of reinventing things, ie changing them into something inferior and hardly recognizable. That last pic of Smallvilleman looks like Neo, it's ridiculous. Fine for TV, but I don't want to see "Superman" flying around in a black and silver leather suit with no cape.

I've got no problem with Routh as Superman, but I personally hope they go in a completely different, non-Donnerverse interpretation next time around. No kid, new Lois. I also like the idea of reinterpreting the Daily Planet as a media conglomerate with a heavy web-presence.

Let's pull some REAL villains out of the closet. I don't want an origin story, I want to see Superman use god-like powers to save the entire Earth from destruction at the hands of an enemy like Darkseid or Brainiac. He's Superman, he's one of the most powerful mortals in the DC universe, it's time to treat him like one.

And no more Lex Luthor! At least not for now.... place him in prison at the beginning of the film with a throwaway line and be done with him.

14. A beaker full of death

Not to mention the speedo, the texture, the muddy colors, the lame belt buckle, and the silly boots.

15. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

16. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

Chris Reeve will always be Superman to me and I would have loved it if Tom wore the \S/uit for an entire season on SMALLVILLE...but it doesn't look like it will happen. :(

17. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Which is?

18. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

The CGI sequences of Superman...at least that is what I have heard. :shrug: I also heard since there were S's all over the costume Brian Singer thought one on the cape would be overkill...I am not sure if any of this is actually true though. :shrug:

19. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

There are instances where Superman doesn't have the S on the back of the cape in the comics. Kingdom Come is one that comes off the top of my head. I really don't see it as a big deal. I didn't like the S Shield at first on the Returns suit and thought it should have been made bigger. Did you guys know that the Returns suit actually had little tiny S shield's weaved into the suit all through it? On the making of documentary they actually show this. I thought that was a pretty neat touch.

20. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

I feel a \S/hield on the front and one on the cape is good...one in the belt is a bit much and in the bottom of the boots.

Traditional more or less. I also like the Superman X suit.