The Christmas Countdown Thread!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by F. King Daniel, Oct 26, 2010.

1. Kira's Mom

Kira's Mom Fleet Admiral Admiral

Just bought a tree today to replace the one that finally fell apart after 15 Christmases!

I love real trees, but they're not good for my cat.

I've started working on Christmas lists- I know what to buy for some people, plus I'm cross stitching some special items and cards. I love this time of the year!

One thing I don't like- Christmas ads on T.V. already. I just saw the Pampers "Silent Night" ad. It's only Nov. 4!!!

2. Tribbles

Tribbles Commander Red Shirt

That's too bad, Tora Ziyal. :( At least you found a nice artificial tree! They have gotten pretty expensive over the last few years. We've had a cheap one for a few years that has seen its last holiday, I'm afraid.

I'm tempted to get a pre-lit tree. I love decorating trees, but I wouldn't miss stringing the lights.

3. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Happy fireworks night, Brits!

(another bang-filled afternoon one of our cats will spend hiding under a table:()

4. Miss Chicken

Miss Chicken Little three legged cat with attitude Admiral

"Remember, Remember, the 5th of November"

In Tasmania, our fireworks night is in May.

5. KimMH

KimMH Drinking your old posts Premium Member

how about the good old days of icicles? I remember picking them out of the tree. yech! ouch! but they looked so nice! I don't see them in stores much anymore. I guess that will save me the expense of getting them exticated from the cats via the vet. (they love string and WILL eat if much to my dismay!)

6. Tribbles

Hee, icicles! I remember putting them on my grandma's tree when I was pretty young. They were a mess... but they went well with foil garland and oversized colored lights!

7. Hugo Rune

Hugo Rune Vice Admiral Admiral

Just found out that I have to fill in for someone on Xmas Day (they have gone long term sick and I'm the only person on the team trained to take their place) and so my mother, who can not travel, will be on her own for Christmas. And I know no other family member will travel to be with her...

Very fustrating

Hugo - Grrrr

8. Mary Ann

Mary Ann Knitting is honourable Admiral

I'm sorry to hear that, Hugo. :( Can you see your mother the day before or after, or will you have to wait several days and have a belated Christmas celebration?

9. Holdfast

Holdfast Fleet Admiral Admiral

You've worked in the public sector for several years now, right? You should already know the answer to this sort of dilemma.

"Sorry, I can't come into work today, my back's playing up again." :D

10. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

I have one bought one gift so far. I have GOT to get moving with my shopping.

The problem is that no one will tell me what they want. There may be a lot of gift cards this year.

11. trampledamage

trampledamage Clone Admiral

I have to do my Christmas present organising early - little miss trampledamage's birthday is Dec 10th and young master trampledamage's birthday is Jan 15th, so once we get to about mid-November anyone else in the family who I haven't bought for doesn't get anything until February because I'm just not thinking of anything but birthday parties and organising Christmas day.

Thank goodness for internet-shopping - it makes an emigre's life a lot easier!

12. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

Thank you, macloudt! You have the gift of knitting then. That one really comes in handy around winter time, and what great gifts you'll make!
    Which reminds me; I was surprised, yesterday, when I told my friends I didn't have the money for gifts this year and that I hoped they liked muffins. One of my friends jumps up and says "woohoo!". I laughed and told him he didn't have to spare my feelings and he said, "I'm not! I'm diabetic and all the low sugar muffins I buy from the store taste like $#!%! Your muffins actually taste good!". :lol:

13. WillsBabe

WillsBabe Vice Admiral Admiral

Today I will be buying Christmas cards. More usefully, I have also made a selection of Christmas avatars for the board. :lol:

14. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

15. Spot's Meow

Spot's Meow Vice Admiral Admiral

Ah, Christmas cards. Is this a dying custom? It sure seems like it. My parents still receive some, but pretty much everyone in the family has stopped sending them. Since moving out on my own 6 years ago I have only received about 2 Christmas cards a year, both from my grandmas! I've never sent them out myself. Friends my age would probably think it strange if they received one from me. Maybe they are a thing meant to send out when you are older and have made more connections throughout life.

16. Tribbles

I'm sending out Christmas cards for the first time this year. I'm 25, but I have a few friends my age who send cards. Maybe it's more common down here in the deep South...

17. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Unless there is money included, I have no interest in receiving Christmas cards. I know it's Christmas. I don't need Hallmark to remind me.

18. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

No one I know even sends Christmas cards anymore. I kind of miss it.

19. ShamelessMcBundy

ShamelessMcBundy Fleet Admiral Admiral

I send Christmas cards! I love doing that.

20. Kira's Mom

Kira's Mom Fleet Admiral Admiral

Most of my family sends cards. :)

I just finished a Christmas cross stitch:

[​IMG]

It's supposed to be an ornament, but it's too big. I'm going to make it into a cover for a small Christmas memory/recipe book. :D