STID "tracking" for $85-90 million opening [U.S. box office]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by RAMA, Apr 26, 2013.

1. Kpnuts

Kpnuts Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm not so concerned about a third film, I'm sure we'll get another Bad Robot production. A 4th on the other hand...

2. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Yet it made as much as Star Trek 2009. One was a considered a success the other a flop. So can you really gather anything substantial from out-of-context numbers?

3. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well, a fourth doesn't depend much at all on what happens this summer.

I kind of hope they change direction every decade or so from here on out (and didn't Abrams sign up around 2006/2007), which is not to say that the Bad Robot folks should step away - just let newer writers/directors/designers in on the Franchise to keep it fresh. A fourth movie's a good time to do that.

4. BillJ

Agreed.

5. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

One was a succes and the other underperformed (I wouldn't say outright flopped) to a degree that it didn't get a sequel because of their respective budget levels. Both are part of the broad rule of thumb of the kind of return on a production budget that studios are happy with. If Superman Returns had a budget of $150 million it would have got a sequel.

6. Cyrus

Cyrus Vice Admiral Admiral

I think there is going to be a 4th movie too. But I am really concerned about the 5th one.

7. BillJ

But we state that one clicked with audiences and the other didn't, yet they pulled in roughly the same cash. So this wasn't about audiences rejecting the film, it was about Hollywood excess.

8. beamMe

beamMe Commodore

Doubtful.

If box office returns were the only requirements for a sequel we'd have seen a third Fantastic Four movie years ago.

9. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

That's true to a degree, although some films need huge budgets to tell stories on a grand scale. The bigger the budget the more widely a film needs to click with audiences.

Fantastic Four made 3.3X its production budget, a very strong return and a level that almost always sees a direct sequel made very quickly. Fantastic Four 2 made 2.2X its production budget, a mediocre return (given the split in box office between the studio and the theatres) that puts a film in a grey area where a sequel may or may not be made. In this case it wasn't made, with the studio opting for a reboot after the passage of some years instead.

10. Flake

Flake Commodore Commodore

Oh I don't think there will be too much trouble getting the 4th and 5th one made, my major concern is when we get to the 7th or 8th we might start suffering from franchise fatigue again which means the 9th will have to be the 3rd reboot and they will end up bringing back Khan again, this time as a black woman.

11. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So that's how Tyler Perry will return to Star Trek.

12. BillJ

:guffaw:

13. Admiral Buzzkill

:lol:

14. I am not Spock

I am not Spock Commodore Commodore

IMDBs Into Darkness page is flooded with trolls claiming this movie is a massive FLOP. Depressing reading

15. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator

"Flooded" relative to what? Everyday folks don't buy into that nonsense...

16. Flake

Flake Commodore Commodore

The internet is full of people wanting something somewhere to fail so they can point and say 'HAHA I TOLD YOU SO' :p

Its sad really.

Star Trek ID is a disappointment relative to over inflated guestimates by box office followers, nothing more.

17. Admiral Buzzkill

So why are you reading it?

18. I am not Spock

I am not Spock Commodore Commodore

Don't know, really. I should come here instead, for more civilised Star Trek related discourse

19. Admiral Buzzkill

20. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

From Box Office Guru on Twitter:

I think he's being a little pessimistic in the 4-day projection. If $9 million is accurate as the Friday number I think the 4-day will be $40-41 million. Hopefully there's a later adjustment up to the Friday figure which would open the door to a bigger weekend.