Disney's Frozen - Grading and Discussion

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by CaptainCanada, Nov 30, 2013.

?

Your grade?

1. A+

28 vote(s)
    36.4%
  2. A

22 vote(s)
    28.6%
  3. A-

4 vote(s)
    5.2%
  4. B+

3 vote(s)
    3.9%
  5. B

9 vote(s)
    11.7%
  6. B-

4 vote(s)
    5.2%
  7. C+

2 vote(s)
    2.6%
  8. C

4 vote(s)
    5.2%
  9. C-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. D+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. D

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. D-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. F

1 vote(s)
    1.3%
  1. Peach Wookiee

Peach Wookiee Cuddly Mod of Doom Moderator

That's pretty much how I felt about him. Hans is the guy your mom warns you about years before you start dating.

2. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Disney releases two Frozen deleted scenes to promote the Bluray release

The Dressing Room
    [yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utAwhtPlx8c[/yt]

Meet Kristoff alternate scene
    [yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWXC378cwao[/yt]

3. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

4. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

And it still hasn't opened in Japan yet, so a billion is more than guaranteed at this point.

5. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Has an animated movie ever made it to the $1,000,000,000 before?

6. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm more surprised that Despicable Me made that much.

7. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Toy Story 3 pulled in $1,063,171,911.

8. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Only Toy Story 3.

There is a chance that Frozen can become the biggest animated movie worldwide if it does well enough in Japan.

9. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

10. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Nice!

11. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Congratulations to Frozen for winning the Best Animated Feature Film Oscar! :techman:

It's Disney's first Best Animated Feature Film Oscar win.

12. Tom Hendricks

Tom Hendricks Vice Admiral Premium Member

Also won Best Original Song for Let it Go.

13. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well deserved wins for animated film and Let it Go. Manzel was great in that performance.

14. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

The only shock here is that the Academy got a couple things right for a change...

Last edited: Mar 4, 2014
  15. Greylock Crescent

Greylock Crescent Adventurer Admiral

Congrats to everyone involved with Frozen - for breaking the $1b threshold and winning at the Oscars. Nice!

As for the performance, I didn't particularly care for the arrangement. I suppose it could have just been me, but it seemed too rushed, too fast-paced. I understand the constraints of television, of course, and the need to both cut out sections of the song and ramp up its pace. But it didn't give Idina Menzel enough chance to really let her voice soar. She still handled it exceptionally well, I thought.

16. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

Except for the last high note ;) Reminded me of a scene of Glee (in which Menzel had a small arc too) where one of the male characters sang a challenging song and flubbed an equally high note (turned out it was intentional).

I'm not at all surprised that Frozen is doing so well.. for once girls are the center characters and they're not pretty bystanders in the adventure but central to the story. I really like the writing on that one and it's got some very catchy songs on top of it.

Well deserved Oscar i have to say.

17. Mark_Nguyen

Mark_Nguyen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Both my wife and I were surprised at Menzel's performance - shocked even. She truly sounded like she was rushing herself and was definitely ahead of the music by half a beat or more at times. And then yes, that' final belt note... I'm wondering if her monitors were out of sync or just not working and she was trying to compensate.

Some people have suggested that she's been losing her voice in the last couple years and has scaled back her work accordingly. I really hope not, but if this is happening, it sucks that this could be one of her last live TV appearances. It didn't help that Travolta royally messed up her name too.

Mark

18. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

Adele Dazeem...

The word "dyslexia" keeps getting floated around, but that's not what that was. That was bad eyesight and poor preparation mixed with whatever adult beverage John Travolta was powering down on Oscar Night. I mean, even if there was a legitimate reason he couldn't read her name off a 'prompter, the intro was obviously scripted, which means at some point during rehearsals you would think he'd been told at least once that he was introducing Idina Menzel and his memory would have kicked in as the flub started.

But no...Adele Dazeem, the most famous non-person on the planet right now...I'm following her on Twitter... :D

19. AvBaur

AvBaur Captain Captain

20. Tom Hendricks

Tom Hendricks Vice Admiral Premium Member

The arraignment was sped up and portion of the song was chopped for time just before her performance because of the show going over. It's a three and half minute song reduced to just over two minutes for the broadcast. From the start you can tell she was out of sorts, probably from having to remember where the changes were. When you sing a song over and over again, it becomes second nature but to add wholesale changes make even professional broadway singers nervous and uncomfortable. About half way through, after her initial bout of nervousness she was freer. However she had to really rush the last few lines of the lyrics and don't think she recovered for the last high note. If you watch the Jimmy Fallon version you can see that one was also quicker but more natural and how effortlessly she hits that last note.