Season THREE OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Salinga, Dec 5, 2012.

1. jimbotron

jimbotron Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Ensigns of Command is one of my favorites. It seems to be underrated. It's a shame it got bumped from being the season premiere despite it being shot first. Instead they went with the Wesley episode. :rolleyes:

I read Snodgrass' original script for EoC a few days ago. Interesting tidbit, the Sheliak were named the Hrathans.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2013
  2. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah the CBS-D team probably could have compensated for the clarity of the Sheliak by darkening the shot a bit, but I still think it works fine.

Of course everyone complained about the Armus costume looking cheap too, and I thought it looked as effective as ever in HD, so what do I know? Lol

Agreed. Judging from the BOBW shots, I think the 4 footer looks pretty damn good. The only issue I'm concerned with is that it'll probably be more apparent than ever in HD when the episode switches back and forth between models.

3. OneBuckFilms

OneBuckFilms Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Do we know who's taking on S4 yet?

4. Borjis

Borjis Commodore Commodore

That moment when Picard is frustrated by the alien, then walks over to the plaque on the bridge and wipes/checks for dust....I love that.

5. Borjis

Borjis Commodore Commodore

Still listed as $ 79 at Best Buy.

I hope they drop it to $ 65 when it arrives (like last 2 seasons)

6. Maxwell Everett

Maxwell Everett Commodore Commodore

The competitive price looks like it'll be $59.99 and $10 off when you buy it with the BOBW disc for $14.99 if the Target ad is anything to go by (worst case, Best Buy price matches of course):

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=218684

Also, remember that upgrade and save will start on the 21st and lasts through May 11th. If you take in 2 DVDs, you'll get another $10 off ($5 off S3 and $5 off BOBW). :)

7. Syd

Syd Ensign Newbie

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJlG_dsfwk4
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jaaLiAcjnBA

Here are two unboxing videos of TNG season 3 blu ray & The Best of Both Worlds blu ray box sets (not by me btw).

One little new tidbit is that on The Best of Both Worlds blu ray box set is a little note at the bottom of the special features listing which says that 3 seconds of the Best of Both Worlds part 1 couldn't be located and have been upconverted from SD. This note doesn't appear on the season 3 blu ray box set as far as I can see.

Should be interesting to find out which 3 seconds are missing.

8. Maxwell Everett

Thanks for finding that! Sounds like it's a misprint and they mean Part II, since the disclaimer's not on the S3 set. It just had to be on BOBW, right? :scream:

9. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Maybe they'll find those three seconds before season 4 comes out, thus giving some people even more ammo to whine about the BoBW solo release being a double-dipping rip-off? One can only hope.

10. Maxwell Everett

I was thinking that too. If it is from Part II and they do find it before S4 streets, then CBS better be doing a replacement program!

Also I like how this guy in the video goes, "Four colon three? I guess that means it isn't widescreen? I dunno?" And he gets review copies early!! :lol:

11. jimbotron

jimbotron Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Ah, standard definition rears its ugly head again. 3 seconds is hardly worth griping about. Hopefully it's a dark shot.

This guy doing the unboxing needs some education about aspect ratios and that BOBW was split across two seasons.

12. dg1379

dg1379 Commander Red Shirt

It appears that part 1 has the missing 3 seconds. Gotta look fast when this guy is recording the back of the bobw box. Awesome art work for the bobw disc!

13. Maxwell Everett

Right. But as Syd pointed out, it doesn't make sense that it's Part I because the Season 3 set doesn't appear to have the same disclaimer. Of course, it could be that they simply forgot to include it on the box. At the very least, it isn't in the same place the S1 disclaimer was printed.

14. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Commodore Commodore

I bought season one at Target (still haven't done the replacement...shame on me :P) but couldn't even find season two OR one there after season two came out.

Did anybody else have a similar experience?

15. dg1379

dg1379 Commander Red Shirt

I picked up seasons 1 and 2 at bestbuy. But for season 2, it was almost 2 weeks after the release before they stocked it. I was there recently and didnt see either season. This time, I did amazon.

16. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I was looking up some information about Ensigns of Command, and there are plenty of things in there that could make the documentary, such as: (From Memory Alpha)

• Having to cut $200,000 from the budget at the last minute
    • The title of the episode came from a poem written by John Quincy Adams
    • Goshaven had to be voice dubbed because the actor's original voice sounded too much like John Wayne. (You know what would be awesome in this documentary, or even on the set itself? Having this episode as a special feature without the voice dubbing and letting the fans hear the John Wayne voice. I wonder if in the long run how that would have affected the episode.)
    • This is an episode that Cliff Bole isn't really proud of. It's a pity, because Patrick Stewart's performance in that final negotiation scene makes the episode worth it, not to mention how hot Ard'rian was.
    • The Dali Llama was there, which is why I think this episode might be featured as part of the Doc.
    If any of this stuff makes the documentary, I'll be happy because it will be once again showing that these features talk about the series as a whole, not just the "popular episodes". It also fits in with how the documentaries have gone so far with the make up tests and just going all the way with the detail. The more I think about this, the more I can't wait to see the season 3 part of the documentary, as well as the tribute to Michael Piller.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2013
  17. Tiberius

Tiberius Commodore Commodore

They had a bunch of photos taken with Brent Spiner. One of them ended up on the cover of the VHS tape that had this episode. I've got it at home somewhere. If I can find it, I'll scan it and put it up.

18. Aatrek

Aatrek Rear Admiral

From the DVDs:

[​IMG]

19. Chris2005

Chris2005 Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

That information is not public yet.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2013
  20. trekker670

trekker670 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

That has to be one of the the absolute worst unboxing videos I've ever watched. Shaky cam, blurry, and un-educated reviewer. At least know about the product before you do a video about it.