Ant-Man: Info, Pics, Rumors, Casting and Details till release

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Captain Craig, Jul 17, 2012.

1. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

Somewhere Brett Ratner's cell phone is ringing.

2. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

Edwards just signed to deliver a Star Wars spin-off movie for Christmas 2016. He wouldn't have the time, or probably the inclination, to step in and direct Ant-Man on short notice, too.

3. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Shame. That little Ant-Man teaser was one of the coolest teasers I've seen in a while.

Seems likely he probably wanted to make something much more nutty and unconventional than the usual Marvel movie, and they wouldn't let him.

4. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

A bit late in the game to decide the direction was wrong.

5. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

I would actually put money on either James Gunn (since Guardians of the Galaxy is supposedly being wildly received by studio execs) or Joe Cornish, since he walked away from Star Trek III and co-wrote the script.

6. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

Joe Cornish and Edgar Wright are good friends. Do you think Cornish would direct if Wright left based on creative differences? If Wright left because of personal reasons, then I would see that happening, but not given the supposed split.

7. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Buzzfeed reports that Joe Cornish hasn't been approached to direct. That's no surprise for the reason JacksonArcher stated. It's unlikely to be James Gunn unless Ant-Man is delayed. Directors usually focus on fine-tuning films, especially tentpole releases, right up to the release date and then there's a time-consuming publicity tour to take into account. It's no easy feat to quickly transition from one big budget movie to another on short notice.

8. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

9. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Variety had previously said a new director is already lined up, but they've amended their story. It now says:

10. Masiral

Masiral Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

^^I have heard rumors that the production was more than a month behind, and that's why Wright is no longer directing.

11. Taylirious

Taylirious Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I got this. :mallory:

12. Ethros

Ethros Vice Admiral Admiral

Brett Ratner?

Wow, what a waste of time that all was then.

I do wonder if it's because Marvel just want to make a fairly straight forward movie cinematically. I do like the MCU movies, but they are little tame and bland at times

13. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

Cornish is actively trying to get more work, and after leaving Star Trek III (probably due to story and script issues, but that's just me spitballing as a result of the Orci news), it would be a good fit for him: He's a little-known director, and Marvel Studios is legendarily shitty when dealing with people whose last names aren't Whedon or Downey.

14. liquorice

liquorice Ensign Newbie

I wonder how much of an impact this is going to have on the final product. I haven't been keeping up with updates so I don't know how far along they are in terms of production.

15. AvBaur

AvBaur Captain Captain

Luckily, Brett Ratner is probably still too busy with his Hercules movie to get involved with a new movie right now.

I think it's likely that they're gonna go with another tv director, like Alan Taylor or the Russos. Maybe Michelle MacLaren? She has directed some of the best episodes of Breaking Bad and Game of Thrones, but hasn't made any movies and is therefore likely cheap and willing to follow Marvel's demands.

Even more likely: they'll hire someone we're not even thinking of. I mean, did anyone see Kenneth Branagh or James Gunn coming?

16. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

Wow, hugely surprising. I guess principal photography hasn't quite started?

Regardless, I trust Feige and Marvel Studios more than I do Wright, whose epileptic Scott Pilgrim gave me a headache that dissuaded me from watching the whole thing. Given the subject matter and the fact that the script is presumably pretty much locked, I have faith that the finished film will be distinctive without being obnoxious.

17. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

I unplug, get offline to spend time with real people, see XM: DOFP and all hell breaks loose on the next MCU film due to start shooting!!!!

I swear I can't leave this place for a second!

I suppose it'll be some time, like the Raimi/Sony stuff, before we get details of the actual truth but I wouldn't put it past there being a bit of blame on both parties side. I doubt either side is "clean" in this breakup.

I'm still eager for Ant-Man. Is it possible Feige wants more ties to AoU and Wright didn't want it? Of course if Edgar had done this during Phase 1 like when he said it'd be moot. The MCU films are a sliding time frame of a game plan and perhaps what was once OK with Feige is now needing adjustment and Wright got pissy on that at this point?

Be curious to see who the new director will be. Wasn't filming due to start in July? I guess it still will if the Deadline piece is saying nothing is being altered for the release date.

18. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Take this with an extreme grain of salt as I have no idea of the credentials of the source...

http://www.reddit.com/r/movies/comments/26bo7k/edgar_wright_leaving_antman_movie/chpihlo

19. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Some more details about what might have gone wrong

http://www.latino-review.com/news/e...orce-between-marvel-edgar-wright-over-ant-man

20. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

This all seems to confirm that MCU is a machine. They might hire decent film-makers to attach their names to these films to give them more credibility, but none of these films represent a film-makers' vision they way older movies used to do (even the blockbuster films) but it's all the vision of the studio. Directors, even the great ones, are merely the hired guns of the studio's vision.

In the past, filmmakers had a fragile vision of what they wanted and they had to beg studios to give them some money to bring that vision into fruition.. the limited assets limited that vision, but they still worked so hard to hold that delicate vision.. but now studios like Marvel couldn't care less about the vision of the filmmakers it has hired to do their vision.

Feighy is an pompous jerk, and there is no way anyone could compare him to Lucas or Spielberg.