How Far Should TOS-R Have Gone?

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by ZapBrannigan, Feb 11, 2013.

1. Garrovick

Garrovick Commander Red Shirt

There were a lot of things I really liked about TOS-R. There were also a few things I didn't really like about TOS-R. I've got my copies of the remastered episodes to watch when I want to, and I also have my DVD box sets of the originals to watch when I want to. It's all good. Overall, I'm glad the remastering was done - the positives far outweigh the negatives.

2. Masao

Masao Commodore Commodore

I still have a pile of 2-episode videocassettes, as well as the regular flavor DVDs (and remastered season 2, for a completely selfish reason). So, both versions are out there for true fans (such as anyone that would post about Trek on a message board).

However, for the casual fan, who may be unable to get past the relatively primitive 1960s special effects, the remastered versions takes away an obstacle to their enjoying TOS for the stories, characters, and ideas. They might become ONE OF US. That's good, right?

Last edited: Apr 26, 2013
  3. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

I still have some of my CBS clamshell Star Trek VHS tapes. They're old and worn, but I just can't bring myself to get rid of them. :D

4. Mr_Homn

Mr_Homn Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

but you CAN watch it that way on the blu rays. if you turn off the remastered effects on the blu ray you get to watch the original in hd quality. most of the time that's the only way i watch it. that would have been enough to sell me on it alone. but theres nothing wrong with having options.

5. Shaka Zulu

Shaka Zulu Commodore Commodore

Same here. And, I think that the studio behind ReBoot should do the honors.

But what I'd really like to see is a new animated series, with the same type of realistic (non-Pixar) CGI animation as TAS, as I've said before. Either than, or let's make a new traditional pen and ink cel animated show instead (this Japanese studio's recent adaptation of an American superhero's adventures shows a great direction to go in on that.)

What will you do when those don't function anymore?

6. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I imagine he'll be able to access the original versions on either DVD or Blu-ray. Or buy the series on Ebay or Amazon in either Betamax, VHS or Laserdisc. :techman:

7. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

Oh, certainly. I'm just glad to have several options. I rather like the work done on the TOS-R episodes.

Well, I watch the TOS-R episodes on Netflix, but I can always purchase the DVDs or Blu-Rays of the episodes. :)

Yep!

8. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

I agree. I have both the 2004 original DVD's releases, and the 2008 remastered DVD's, and so, depending on what I'm in the mood for, I can see whichever version I want.

That said, there are actually, there were a few things I wish they'd changed that they didn't. Take "The Ultimate Computer", for example. I was disapointed that they didn't change at least one of Bob Wesley's fleet ships into a different starship class. Seeing a TOS-style Reliant, or Orberth, or something might have been interesting.

And, it's not like this is a George Lucas/Star Wars situation, where each change automatically super-ceds it's immediate predecessor, to become the "official version", and everything that came before is ignored.

9. MrArcas

MrArcas Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I think they hit the balance between "adding new" and being faithful to the original videos. It certainly was a tricky tightrope to walk. Perhaps they erred a bit too much on the side of caution, but I'm still OK with the results. It scratched my itch ;)

10. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

This is my biggest complaint too. Another example is the orbital shot of Apollo's hand holding the ship. Crappy composition - your eye doesn't know where to look to get the point of the shot.

11. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

The thing is, at this point you've got LOTS of reference ... not just the original TOS shots, but also the ModernTrek era and other space films. For that matter, since most of this stuff is on a 2d plane, good compositional reference can be gotten from ship-at-sea stuff.

Screwing up the point of the visual in order to have a grain-free one that appeals to younger viewers seems like shooting oneself in the foot to avoid jogging, then complaining it takes too long to limp to the mailbox.

12. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

I would LOVE to see that happen!

13. Third Nacelle

Third Nacelle Captain Captain

I'd like to see TAS remastered with better hand drawn animation (or CGI augmented hand animation), but full CGI would totally destroy the charm of it. Some of us prefer our cartoons one-dimensional :)

14. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

You mean this mess?
    http://tos.trekcore.com/hd/albums/2x02hd/whomournsforadonaishd0195a.jpg

One dimension is a straight line. :)

15. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

That's what they should have done. Also for replacement shots in TNG-R.

The shots they did with the physical 1701 model for the DS9 Tribble episode are a million times better than the best CGI shot in TOS-R.

16. Third Nacelle

Third Nacelle Captain Captain

Maybe I like to cover my television with duct tape, leaving a gap one pixel wide.

You know what I meant ;)

17. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

Agreed. There's no digital replacement for a physical, detailed body, and your example--compared to TOS-R--proves the point.

18. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

Don't think I noticed this reply till now ... KANE is an ideal example not because of its status as a film classic, but because of a detail in Welles' contract -- one I'm not aware of being in the contract for any other film -- that basically said you couldn't change the look of the film after the fact ... I'm pretty sure Turner had already colorized when the legal folks told him he couldn't release it.

So this represents the kind of protection art forms deserve, to keep folks from tampering with them after the fact, which makes it completely relevant to a discussion of TOS-R, whatever you happen to think of TOS (or KANE's) merits. And as far as namecalling goes, hey, so the fuck what? I'm not the one advocating for giving kids crayolas at the art museum, which is basically what TOS-R amounts to at times.

It's funny to me that STAR WARS was selected for film preservation and yet look what GL did to it after that ...

19. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

Financially it is just impossible to shoot miniatures mo-con economically anymore, according to everybody. I do not understand why, and it is a question I've been asking industry professionals for 15 years. Always the same vague 'stage costs too high/system rental too high' which just seems very unlikely given the budgets allocated.

20. marsomthing

marsomthing Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

getting in on this very very late in the game, I completley missed the fact they used a model in the ds9 tribble episode. I am going to check that out right now!

I like the TOS-R, I also own a foreign rip off dvd of the old ones....I like seeing new graphics on netflix etc because it is easy to turn on the internet tv and hit play

...but I also find myself thinking about the original dvds