Do fans want the prime timeline back? Part 2: Poll edition.

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by bbjeg, Sep 6, 2013.

?

Do fans want the prime timeline back?

1. I'm a fan and I want the Prime timeline back.

56.0%
  2. I'm a fan and I don't want the Prime timeline back.

16.4%
  3. I'm a fan and wouldn't mind if it came back.

11.1%
  4. I don't care, just give me Trek!

14.6%
  5. I don't know.

1.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

Superman Returns can fall in that category. Even if all the TV series didn't count, there were animated movies that didn't follow Christopher Reeve's Superman like Returns did.

2. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

Yes. YES! A thousand times, yes!

3. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Now that would be THE opportunity to have Star Trek boldly go where no other franchise has gone before.

4. Belz...

Belz... Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
    Wow. I can't believe so many people want the old timeline back. It doesn't even matter which timeline we're in, unless they reference to the old stuff.

5. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Star Trek II ignored I, and VI ignored V. Every Highlander sequel ignores all the others and the ending of the first one. Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance ignored the first one. Friday 13th Part V ignored IV, picking up in an alternate post-III continuity. And as you pointed out, Universal Soldier: The Return ignored the two telemovies, and then Universal Soldier: Regeneration ignored The Return and the telemovies, picking up again after the original.

6. Grendelsbayne

Grendelsbayne Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

How does ST VI ignore V?

7. F. King Daniel

Kirk goes from drinking and being friendly with Klingons to being a racist bastard who wants the entire species left to die for the murder of his son. Scotty and Uhura's relationship from V is ignored in VI etc.

8. Grendelsbayne

Well, he was hardly being friendly with all Klingons, and saying he's 'a racist bastard' who wants all klingons to 'die' is an extreme exaggeration of STVI. What he says is that the Klingons, collectively, not individually, can't be trusted and the federation shouldn't be making dearmament deals with them (because they will not keep them). The 'Let them die' line is very clearly a reference to the Empire, not to the Klingon species.

I'd completely forgotten about Scotty and Uhura in STV, though. That one is completely ignored in VI, as you say.

9. F. King Daniel

"They're animals!"

"I've never trusted Klingons, and I never will. I've never been able to forgive them for the death of my boy."

He's definitely speaking of the people, not the political body.

Now re-watch V, where he smiles and salutes the Klingon captain, where Scotty and everyone are having a great time totally at odds with VI's "guess who's coming to dinner"

10. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, to be fair, if you were making a film series of your life, how many flirts and girlfriends would be "ignored" in the next installment?

11. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

I wouldn't mind if they brought back the prime time-line but I do not feel it is essential.

12. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

So something the suits who ultimately decide where the franchise is going are likely to be unwilling to do since know one has done it before and it could blow up in their faces?

13. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Hmm. That would definitely qualify, I admit.

14. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Well assuming it goes anywhere because right now it sounds like they're just talking about doing it.

15. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

^^
    True.

16. Grendelsbayne

Yes, he definitely (very understandably) does not like Klingons. That doesn't mean he wants them to die. It also doesn't mean it's impossible for him to be friendly to a specific individual klingon who has proven himself trustworthy, or even to simply suppress any latent antipathy he is feeling for the sake of completing his mission as smoothly as possible.

The STVI dinner scene is very clearly not just about the fact that they're Klingons. It's about the fact that they're Klingons on their way to Earth to negotiate a permanent cease fire which Kirk believes is an idiotic idea which could destroy the Federation, and the fact that he's been ordered to roll out the red carpet for them despite his major objections, partially because Spock 'volunteered' him for the job.

If they were there to negotiate a trading agreement or something mundane, Kirk would've easily kept any residual resentment in check, because it just wouldn't be relevant to the mission at hand.

To get back to the actual topic, I think your definition of 'ignoring' sequals is rather broad. Just because a plot line is dropped or added here and there without explicit explanations doesn't mean TMP and WOK or TFF and TUC don't all happen in the same continuity. Contrast that to, for instance, Superman Returns which factually writes over everything that happened after Superman I by saying Kal el went to find his home planet and didn't come back until years later.

17. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Funny... at the beginning of the movie, I got the impression Kirk wouldn't have been very sad at all if they died. What could've given me that impression? Oh.

"They're dying."
    "Let them die!"

Honestly I'm surprised the conspirators never tried to recruit Kirk.

18. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

It would've been an interesting twist to the character but Paramount never would have allowed that to happen.

19. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

I can see how he could be seen as racist but come on, he's Kirk.

20. Grendelsbayne

If you look a few posts farther back, you'll see that line was already addressed. But to repeat myself - that line was very clearly a reference to the Empire, not the species. There isn't a single reference anywhere in the movie to suggest that the Praxis incident could in any way cause an actual extinction event. (How would that even work? An explosion on one moon killing a species spread out across how many different star systems?)

So, yes, Kirk had no problem whatsoever letting the Klingon Empire die. Why would he?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.