Paris + B'Elanna scene, absolute cop-out

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by Dal Rassak, Apr 29, 2013.

1. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Doesn't he just have another gonad between his ears?

2. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Every time someone uses the word gonad I have to look it up again because I'm never too sure what it means.

3. Captain Kathryn

Captain Kathryn Commodore Commodore

Doesn't it just mean balls? :biggrin: At least in human males, anyway.

4. teacake

It also means ovaries!

5. Guy Gardener

A less well travelled road is that definition.

6. Triskelion

Triskelion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

[​IMG]

So who is this Vulcan female? (From Repression, Season 7)

Even if she were married, wouldn't the crew Vulcans create a "logical" solution to their mutual problem? It's not as if they were obeying a sanctified religiously-decreed union; to a Vulcan, marriage is surely a logical arrangement - subject to changing circumstances?

I know, I know, then there's no plot point.

7. Guy Gardener

She wasn't mentioned by Kashyak in Counterpoint, although we did see all the Vulcan's on Board in Transporter suspension hiding from the Devore, but Janeway asked why Tuvok didn't ask to meld any of the other Vulcans onBoard in Flash back when he gave her syphilis, and the phrase "None of the other Vucans n Board were compatible" to ease Tuvok's space crazies with a healing meld.

Vulcans are basically massive bigots right?

There is no frakking way that they would have settled on the 37s planet.

Stacking the deck somewhat, no?

8. teacake

Not a Vulcan. A human caught in the Vulcan weeaboo craze.

Poor thing. All those bad hair cuts and no one to appreciate it.

9. Guy Gardener

Like that cosplay Orion slavegirl in Who God's Destroy who was shedding green paint on everything she touched?

10. teacake

Don't you go mocking Marta like that! It still makes me cry when she blows up :(

11. Guy Gardener

Who's mocking?

I think it's amazing that there's a human being so criminally batshit that she thinks that she's an Orion Slave Girl WHILE COMMITTING CRIME.

12. teacake

That is kind of awesome :lol:

13. Sadara

Sadara Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Eh, I like Vorik and even I don't really understand half the stuff that goes on in Blood Fever. He's pretty naive for a Vulcan, but I find it hard to believe he'd be so naive as to believe Torres would want him. By then it was pretty obvious she was into Paris anyway.

With no Vulcan females on the ship and knowing he was likely to endure several pon farrs during the 70 year trip home wouldn't it have made more sense to learn how to date and cultivate a serious relationship that the other females would recognize as such? Vorik went about it in such a Vulcan way (not concerning himself with the pon farr until it was upon him, expecting Torres to respond as a Vulcan female would, etc) that no one else on board knew what the heck was going on.

Part of why Vorik was rejected was because of cultural miscommunication. A Vulcan female might have seen that proposal coming. Torres and most of the other non Vulcan women on board, no way.

14. teacake

I seem to recall there are more men than women on the ship and I'm thinking Vorik is really not going to get anywhere unless there's some gal with a Vulcan fetish. Really awkward teenager is how he comes across.
    So true! He's in total denial whereas he should have broached the topic with the EMH ages ago. And really shouldn't the EMH have brought it up during a routine physical?

15. Triskelion

Seven years and a walking talking hologram isn't enough?

Probably the heat coming from a plasma junction would also suffice.

16. Guy Gardener

This would have been a fantastic loophole for Janeway to have sex with a crewman.

"Never send a hologram to do a woman's job."

Savvik had Bloodfever sex with Spock when his anatomy had the characteristics of 14 years old, 21 years old, 28 years old, 35 years old and 42 years old (give or take depending on when puberty started.)... Which should have no emotional effect on Spock after McCoy gave his marbles back or Saavik who took at least 5 for the team.

Considering in the Books they get married, you have to wonder when she began to think of him as a suitor rather than a mentor?

Although in alternate edit of the 4th movie, Saavik is clearly pregnant but it's still decades before Picard attends Spocks wedding, as mentioned in TNG Sarek.

17. Sadara

Sadara Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

You would think someone would have broached the subject at some point. The instant Voyager was stranded in the Delta Quadrant, Vorik should have been concerning himself with his options when his Pon Farr came around. To delay that was illogical really. No Vulcan females on board means that he really needed to learn how to romance the human females. Awkward because he didn't grow up learning those social skills, but he didn't have much choice left.

His other mistake was the one most Vulcans make; they keep their mouths sealed about it. He proposed to Torres before being honest that it was a matter of life and death. Granted, she wouldn't accept based on that, but he might have incurred some sympathy rather than her wrath.

And you'd think Tuvok would be of some help, but again typical Vulcan "we don't talk about it" nonsense. Their attitudes toward the pon farr leave very little leeway for consideration of circumstance.

As for Vorik coming across as an awkward teenager, non canon sources put him at about 22 years old at the time of Blood Fever. That's pretty darn young for a Vulcan. It would have been interesting to see what Vorik would have tried the second time had Voyager still been in the DQ.

18. Guy Gardener

It's possible that the Doctor (in the beginning with basic factory settings.) may not have been able to initiate anything to do with Pon far, which if that was programmed badly enough as some politically correct protocol to spare the Vulcans any shame or embarrassment, he may not have even been able to think about Pon Far or be aware that it exists until a patient "asks" for help.

Thinking is not singing.

19. Triskelion

I notice he did not use the same tactic he used on Zimmerman to heal his patient. Disguising himself as an alien masseuse (Lifeline).

20. Guy Gardener

Do you think Vorik resented Miral?

"Ungrateful snotty little ####! It's my DNA you should be made out of, not that #### Paris! I bet he can't even add... SEE! Flawed weak human DNA has made you a ####y Mathamatician, you blunt eared little Baby ####! I should be your daddy! Not that blond pretty boy ####!"

Okay, maybe I meant, does "drunk" Vorik resent baby Miral Paris?

In the original (Admiral Janeway ) timeline, unless Vorrik was one of the 20 who died, this Vulcan did spend 14 years watching Miral grow up under foot.