Star Trek Needs a Gay Character and Here’s How to Do It

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Shaka Zulu, Apr 23, 2013.

1. sttngfan1701d

sttngfan1701d Commodore Commodore

Has anyone asked Zachary Quinto this question? What does he think about how/if it should be done? Someone should ask him on Twitter or something.

2. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

They'll never make Spock gay though.

3. sonak

sonak Vice Admiral Admiral

in a figment of a mediocre mind's imagination
    if they do it now they really CAN'T make a big deal about it. That time has long since past, you can't awkwardly pat yourself on the back in a situation where you're years behind the times.

4. Sector 7

Sector 7 Vice Admiral Admiral

True. The time for Star Trek to be cutting edge on this issue passed long ago. However, it is not too late for our beloved franchise about the future to catch up to the present.:techman:

5. sttngfan1701d

I know. But I'm interested in hearing what he thinks at least.

In my opinion it's tokenism. It smacks of an agenda. If you must include it, show it in passing, don't make a big deal of it, unless there's a Captain Jack-type character to pull it off.

6. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well, I was being a touch tongue-in-cheek, what with the "statistically" part, but yeah, I get what you're saying. My point was that being gay doesn't make you stand out amongst the crowd just because you're gay. You would have to do something different, like in your example, to show that you're not Sam or Sally Straight Person. Your example is nice and subtle, and I like it.

7. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Zachary Quinto matter of factly mentioned he was gay in a magazine interview. There was no huge announcement from him. I can see him thinking it was no big deal if they turned Spock gay.

Some Trek fans might might have their brains explode at the change though.:)

8. sttngfan1701d

I don't mean Spock, I mean this topic of whether/how Star Trek should have a gay character.

9. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

You know how other shows do it? They just have characters who are gay. No big deal is usually made about it. I can't believe how many knots some people tie themselves into to argue "if" it's a good idea or "how".

10. Sigokat

Sigokat Commander Red Shirt

Mirror Kira was Bi-Sexual.

11. donners22

donners22 Commodore Commodore

Sex for her was more about power and narcissism. Big difference to a character having a loving relationship with a person of the same sex.

12. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Or maybe to some it really "doesn't matter". I wouldn't be offended if there was a gay character on Star Trek, I'm not offended that there isn't. For the simple fact that I don't watch Trek for relationship drama or get wrapped up in which character is sleeping with which character.

At some point, live-action Trek will include a gay character and for me it simply won't matter as long as the character is well written. Trek Literature has had gay characters for, at least, a decade now (possibly closer to two). Admiral Krell, the gay Klingon was a well-written character and for me that ranks far above who he's screwing/who he's living with in a fictional reality. YMMV.

13. Sigokat

Sigokat Commander Red Shirt

True. I was just pointing out that there was an openly bi-sexual character on the show, but you are right about the difference between her and a real loving relationship. :mallory:

14. DarthTom

DarthTom Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think it would be awesome if Abrams made Sulu gay, especially since Takei is gay in real life.

15. Kruezerman

Kruezerman Commodore Commodore

Speaking as a gay (bisexual) man, I think it'd be great to have gay characters in Trek, but don't shove it in my face. Make it subtle as if it were, I don't know, normal.

Doctor Who has a tendency of making a good deal of it's characters gay for no reason at all.

16. Jeyl

Jeyl Commodore Commodore

Oh, come now. That happily married old couple in gridlock was a nice addition.

17. Kruezerman

Kruezerman Commodore Commodore

It was! But now it seems that everybody and their mother is gay!

18. HaventGotALife

HaventGotALife Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I have said for years they should have a gay character and not make a big deal about it. For instance, do the marriage scene and storyline from "Balance of Terror" only have them be a gay couple. Star Trek should at least mention it because it's not the 1960s anymore and it seems to me that everyone is straight.

19. HaventGotALife

HaventGotALife Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

As a pansexual man, I agree. It has to be subtle in the universe or the utopia we've created will show very little progress from today to then. Don't pander to me, just make it part of the mosaic.

20. -Brett-

-Brett- Vice Admiral Admiral

I'd object to Sulu being retconned as gay just because it perpetuates the stereotype of Trekkies being unable to tell the difference between fiction and reality.