Your own views why you like star trek so much ?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Nero's Shadow, Aug 12, 2010.

1. Nero's Shadow

Nero's Shadow Captain Captain

Ive been thinking of this just recently what are your on personal views why star trek is so important to yourself. ? Is it because it sends a positive outlook for mankind and earth no wars no dieases no Money problems. Or is it just a great scifi show that u love to watch and makes u feel good.

I think it also can be a great hobby but my view is I love the idea that we as human beings can strive for anything and with the right minds our future can finally be postive. Space is so big and hopefully one day mankind won't be limited to this little solar system .

So your thoughts fellow Trekkies and Trekkers !!!!!

2. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

For me, I just like the idea of less petty Humans living in an time where there are fantastic starships capable of journeying to many different worlds and encountering all sorts of alien civilizations, both good and bad.

'Nuff said...

3. Admiral Shran

Admiral Shran Admiral Admiral

I like it because it's a good adventure show with some meaningful messages sprinkled throughout.

4. Nerd unRage

Nerd unRage Commander Red Shirt

I like it because of the hopeful message it brings. It's a big universe out there so there's no telling what the limits are. For the most part, all different kinds of races and backgrounds get along with each other. Yes, there are conflicts but what I like that not everything is "fixed" right away. I like the message of tolerance and acceptance, something that is just as important today as it was back in the 60s. I love just letting my imagine go anywhere with it.

5. number6

number6 Vice Admiral

I like the show just to piss off all the people around here that hate it.

6. scotpens

scotpens Professional Geek Premium Member

I like it because I'm a geek.

7. sbk1234

sbk1234 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^^^^^All of the above.

8. I am Surak

I am Surak Captain Captain

My inner Vulcan is finally free.

9. Nero's Shadow

Part time geek full time Trekkie lol

10. Roberta Lincoln

Roberta Lincoln Commander Red Shirt

Yep, pretty much all of the above. It's nice to know we have come through some terrible times and the earth is still there and fairly peaceful.

Plus the colors and costumes from TOS are fabulous!

11. Willieck

Willieck Commander Red Shirt

I am let us say, getting on a bit and I have been into Science Fiction since I was a child. I was never much interested in Western Films and I remember yawning my way through Robin Hood. However Superman, Buck Rogers, Destination Moon, and Rocketship XM were something else. I took The Eagle (Dan Dare) from the first edition was introduced to scifi books at the age of about the age of 15 when I read a book called Kemlo and the Crazy Planet and went on to read H.G Wells and later Asimov and others. When Star Trek came along in the sixties it was just a natural progression and I have been hooked ever since. Yes it might be full of holes and inconsistencies as members of these forums love to point out but the whole idea of a Galaxy that is full of strange aliens and planets which can be reached by Starships is compelling together with all the scientific advances envisaged by the creators (even if some of them are purloined from other sources) I expect to be a fan for the remainder of my life.

12. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Because it's adventurous, imaginative, intelligent, not afraid to have a distinct point of view, and inspires really good slash. :rommie:

13. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Two reasons:

1) It's entertaining
    2) Spaceships are cool

14. Nero's Shadow

Do you mean starships there's one very special starship and that's NCC 1701 !!!!!

15. RyuRoots

RyuRoots Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It's one of the best-realized science fiction universes out there, especially in DS9. I just like the 24th-century shows as shows, but I do like the idea that maybe humans are capable of maturing a bit. There's also the fact that I'm a huge nerd and I love all the technology. Starbases, ships, phaser rifles, the whole lot.

16. Robert DeSoto

Robert DeSoto Lieutenant Commander

I like it cuz it makes you think. It's a philosophical show. It's not just about aliens and spaceships. It's about real world issues that takes place in a future setting. Things like war, religion, racism, law and order, terrorism, ethnic cleansing.

I was watching some of the Star Wars clone wars and its just not the same. The Republic's soldiers are these clones that no on cares about when they die. And the separatists use robotic soldiers.

All of Star Trek's wars involve normal, living beings that pay the ultimate price. Even the Jem'hadar, who are clones, are show in a sympathetic light when they die. (Hipprocratic Oath, Rocks and Shoals)

17. Smellincoffee

Smellincoffee Commodore Commodore

I liked Trek first of all because of the message of tolerance, peace, and understanding in it. Later on, the active philosophy -- you CAN better yourself if you want to -- came in.

Aside from this, it's good entertainment featuring fundamentally decent people, and Trek has or had a history of exploring controversial subjects.

18. SVD

SVD Captain Captain

The beautiful Sacramento Valley near Chico, CA
    It's a universe I can see myself in.

19. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

I like fully created worlds in fiction and Trek is so big and interesting and diverse.. and has been my personal alternate world since I was a teenager. I find it very satisfying and I think the sheer breadth of it both in amounts of species and characters, centuries spanned and the 700+ episodes has meant I never tire of watching and reading about it.

I like Star Wars too but there are only 6 movies. I've been watching SW since the first movie came out but hey.. it takes me several years to finish watching all of Trek and start again. It takes me a weekend to watch all of SW.

I'm well and truly invested in Trek.

20. sevenstars

sevenstars Captain Captain

Flying to the stars. With your friends. What more could you want?