Fallout 3?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Rowan Sjet, Jul 6, 2009.

1. Rowan Sjet

Rowan Sjet Commodore Commodore

Fallout 3 is currently going for £13.49 on Steam, which sounds like a real bargain to me. It actually sounds too good. Is the game really as good as I've heard?

2. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

Can't go wrong at that price. This game is fantastic. There's so much to see and do. It will take you a very long time to run out of things to do in the game. Be sure to at the very least get the Broken Steel DLC as it raises the level cap and extends the game past the ending (though the others are certainly fun as well.)

3. Jim Steele

Jim Steele Vice Admiral Admiral

It's a very good game, I love it. Sunk more than 70 hours into it according to my latest save. Plus the DLC packs are all well worth the asking price. Great package all round and the base game at that price is a total steal.

4. Yoda

Yoda Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I almost jumped on the 25 dollar deal, but decided against it. I tried running a pirated version for testing purposes, and wasn't impressed by the performance on my computer. I'm going to hope for a better deal (maybe with the DLC included) down the road after I upgrade my system.

5. Chaos Descending

Chaos Descending Vice Admiral Admiral

Although I DID enjoy the game (and I am a sucker for post-apocolypica anyway), I found some things I didn't like about it.

The replay value is fairly low, in my opinion.

The game world feels kinda small, even though (IIRC) it has the same actual "size" as the Cyrodiil area in Oblivion.

Use of VATS was almost like using "cheat mode".

I don't think that the weapons skills really gained you much at all.

6. Jim Steele

^

I'd almost completely disagree. VATS is just a tactical paused combat mode, and using it is hardly a guarantee of success. How could it possibly feel like a cheat mode?

Replay value - this game has so many multiple paths to quest completion it almost beggars belief, and a not insignificant number of them depend on your character stats. There are more than a few quest outcomes which make pretty big changes to the gameworld/landscape, which one may or may not get depending on their char build, actions and dialogue choices, and I'm not just talking about a certain Megaton questline - though talking of that... do you know it's even possible to have the whole thing called off by making Mr Burke fall in love with you? Depends, again, on your char build, gender, speech stat and perks. If successful he'll send you love letters. That's just one of many possible outcomes of one particular chapter in the game and it barely scratches the surface. It has so much depth, I honestly can't fathom why anyone would decry it for lack of replay value.

And if you don't think levelling up the weapons skills gains you much, I invite you to wander into Evergreen Mills or take on a Deathclaw with a non-combat char. :lol:

7. firehawk12

firehawk12 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Wait for the holiday when the GOTY edition comes out with all the DLC included. And I'm sure at that point, Valve will have another super mega sale and sell the GOTY for a discount as well.

8. LutherSloan

LutherSloan Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It has LOADS of replay value, which is extended by the four (soon to be five) DLC mini-expansions. Plus, you can play through once as Good, once as Evil, or Neutral, which is hard to do. There are different rewards for all three.

9. firehawk12

There's really no reason to play evil though... short of wanting to be a dick and/or you want to experience masochism on screen.

The morality system is probably more shallow than the heady days of the 90s with Fallout 2, when it was all tongue-in-cheek.

10. Trubinator

Trubinator Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's one of two games I'd call the best of the last 10 years. Amazing game ... worth every penny!

11. Jim Steele

You do get different quest outcomes, perks, random encounters etc. Doesn't fundamentally change the game or anything (unless you go SUPER EVEIL and... do a certail nasty thing in a certain town and even then it's not a massive change to thwe gameworld).

What I'm saying is, having been playing a good and an evil char, there are differences that become apparent and not just superficial ones.

12. LutherSloan

LutherSloan Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

When you're evil items are more expensive at stores, it is harder to do certain things in conversations, and you might be attacked by random people more often.

13. firehawk12

The only benefit you get is that there's a town you'll be able to get into without doing a quest... but even then, it's hardly worth it.

14. Lookingglassman

Lookingglassman Admiral Admiral

A great game, too bad I have to buy it again. I loaned it to a co worker and the moron claimed he "lost" it. Thats okay, I made him pay me $60 bucks for it.

15. Jim Steele

That's not the only benefit. At all.

16. Destructor

Destructor Commodore Commodore

It's awesome, get it.

17. firehawk12

If there's any other real tangible difference between playing good and evil, I'd like to know. The only thing I can tell is that people are most hostile to you and you have to fight off random ghouls instead of mercenaries out in the field.

18. CaptJimboJones

CaptJimboJones Vice Admiral Admiral

I definitely want this game, but at this point I'll wait for the GOTY edition with all the DLC. I've got too many 360 games sitting on my shelf that I haven't even finished yet! (I just started Gears of War - the first one - a few days ago. That's how far behind I am. :) Great game, though!)

19. Lookingglassman

Lookingglassman Admiral Admiral

I got the add on pack and installed them, the problem I am having now is where the heck on the map do I go to play them? I listened to the radio broadcasts, but I dont have a clue where to go.

20. Trubinator

Trubinator Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The DLC isn't really worth the asking price ... barely better than the horse armor provided in Oblivion. They are burnable though, so just get a friend to copy over the directory files onto a disc for you. The only thing you miss is the achivements...