Person of Interest Season 3

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Bob Morton, Sep 25, 2013.

1. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

Finch and Root's conversation at the end? Did I stop watching too soon or are talking about Finch and Shaw?

2. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

Chapman has two movies coming out soon, so yes, I assume he was working on film when they shot some of these episodes.

Yes, you stopped watching too early. Finch is now keeping Root prisoner in the library.

3. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

Oh wait.I just watched last weeks episode last night. I'm a week behind!

4. Bob Morton

Bob Morton Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Also it seems like they hinted Kirk Acevedo's character could be some help in the future, with his knack for finding things. I really hope we see more of him, I like his acting.

5. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

Category 1 - Relevant to the government - National security related threats (terrorism, assassinations, sabotage, hacking of government computers, espionage, etc.).

Category 2 - Irrelevant to the government - Non-national security related threats to individuals, mostly limited to higher profile crimes like murder.

Category 3 - Threats to the continued existence of the Machine? Threats by the government against the people (maybe the Machine sees its very existence and abuse as a threat to the people and their rights and is trying to remove the threat/keep itself away from the wrong hands, ie. the government and other groups)?

6. Pavonis

Pavonis Commodore Commodore

So this ex-Vigilance hacker (I forget his name) was targeted for assassination by Vigilance, and the Machine went to Root, who "recruited" Shaw? Why would the Machine not give the number to Finch and Reese? Since Finch only gets irrelevant numbers, we could assume then that the target was considered "relevant" to national security. But who gets the relevant numbers now? Is "Control" still working on the relevant numbers? Does the Machine, with its new-found freedom at the end of season 2, still give relevant numbers to the government? Did the government ever really get the relevant numbers, or was the "Control" group a vigilante force akin to Finch and Reese?

Is there really a third category now, or did the Machine just decide to change how it deals with the relevant numbers?

7. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

Based on one brief moment of dialog from this week's episode, if someone truly is going to die as the previews suggest, I think it's going to be
    Bear.
    :(

Or maybe there's HR blowback on Fusco and he gets taken down by the authorities, so he falls but doesn't get killed.

8. Yanks

Yanks Commodore Commodore

Wow, what a great episode this last week!!!!

Love this series!

9. Locutus of Bored

Heh, I had the same thought once they mentioned the vest and I had seen the "A hero shall fall" previews for next week's episode all this week. That would be a really colossal misdirect, though that's a pretty typical false tease in TV (not killing someone off after implying they would).

Great episode this week, and I'm looking forward to the two follow-ups.

10. Pavonis

OK, why would you spoiler code that? It's not a real spoiler. You don't know anything that the rest of the fans don't know. You're just spit-balling. So why bother spoiler coding your guess?

That said, I'd imagine they'd kill off Reese before killing off Bear. They have Shaw waiting in the wings to replace Reese, but who could replace Bear? And it's not like the dog can appreciate a well-crafted death scene, while human actors seem to love a dramatic death.

Granted that Reese is more or less the main character, but then killing off Hartnell's Doctor was similarly shocking, but now we're used to the idea of the main character changing out regularly. It could be POI will end up going this route in the future, with Finch regularly replacing his field operatives.

11. Bob Morton

Hate that Simmons.

12. Roshi

Roshi Admiral Admiral

Well I didn't see that coming!

13. Pavonis

Simmons has to be a wanted criminal by now, doesn't he? How many times has HR been taken down, only for Simmons to slip the net? At some point he can't be a cop, he just has to be criminal on the run...doesn't he?

14. Locutus of Bored

Damn, that ending just hit me like a ton of bricks. I'm actually bummed out by it. Carter was my favorite character. Though the clues were there about who would wind up dying (Joss reconciling with her son's father so he could take care of the kid, Reese's expressing his feelings for her, the "everyone's way too happy" sequence leading up to the shooting), I kept hoping it wouldn't happen.

I like Fusco, but I would have been able to deal with his death, especially when he would have gone out in a good way. But Carter is the heart and soul of the show, and the only character with any kind of really compelling personality. Everyone else are just damaged sociopaths or otherwise emotionally stunted in some way (except Fusco). Fusco is now about the closest we have to a normal person on the show, and while he's likeable, he's not the same as Carter.

I have faith that they can continue to deliver compelling drama and action on the show, but I have a bad feeling that Carter's death is really going to upset the emotional dynamic of the show. I hope I'm wrong.

Anyway, Taraji P. Henson will be missed. She did an fantastic job on the show and the fact that her character's death actually bummed me out is a testament to that. I wish her the best in her next acting gig, and hopefully we can still see her occasionally in a flashback scene on PoI.

15. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

^Yeah, I was pretty bummed out by that, too. I thought, "No, they wouldn't...." but they did! I didn't see it coming. So, judging by the preview, FInch is going to let Root join the Scooby gang? Kinda hope not; I like her better as an enemy. Still, for a network show, this is pretty damn good; it's managing to tear away from it's formula and occasionally surprise me.

16. Bob Morton

^Very well said. Far better than I could have.

Very emotional episode; I cheered when Fusco strangled that guy to death and had to fight back tears when Carter got it. That scene was just so well put together with the unanswered phone ringing and Finch standing across the street looking absolutely horrified.

I also like the bit where Root was talking to Finch and said Reese is not the first of his 'attack dogs' and the fact that Finch just would not let her out

Even Shaw showed, or at least faked emotion, when she was on the phone with Fusco; 'sorry I can't be there for you, I had to make a choice.'

Superb stuff. Now I'm just waiting for Simmons to get shot in the face.

17. Pavonis

I'll miss Carter, too, but I think they can carry on just fine with the remaining cast. I wouldn't be surprised if this becomes a regular occurrence - turning over the cast. They might all be replaceable, eventually.

How many cops have been killed in the last few episodes? Carter, Laskey, and the HR detective under Simmons, at least. Then a bunch of HR cops wounded. And a judge killed in his own home! That last one has to be high profile! Judges aren't killed regularly.

And let's not forget that technically there's still a bounty on Reese's head. Will that point be resolved in the third part?

18. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

The bounty will probably be one of those TV things where it's forgotten by the next episode, sort of like Sam and Dean's magical healing abilities on Supernatural despite how many times they've cut their own hands or been thrown into walls.

Logically, if Elias returns to power with HR and the Russians down, he could cancel the bounty.

19. Bob Morton

Wasn't the bounty only for HR and associated criminals? With HR 98% gone there won't be anyone except laughable subway thugs looking for Reese. The regular cops obviously let him go for his firearms infraction so there's nothing to worry about from the local authorities either. It's not a big deal to me if they never mention it again.

I do hope Reese takes some time to heal his 3 gunshot wounds, though, either in show or a certain amount of time jump between this ep and the next. They already did the story of Reese recovering, after the CIA shot him in the first season, so I think it'll be some amount of time has passed when we meet back up next week.

20. propita

propita Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Does Taraji P. Henson have other acting offers? After enjoying her so much here, I’d hate to think that her character was offed without something for her to go to.

Did anyone get a kind of wtf from Reese/Carter? I didn’t think they were a couple. Sometimes, I really like ‘ships on shows, even if they’re not in the script. Other times, I want the characters to not have that added to them.