Fast & Furious 7 - Lucas Black returns to franchise

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Dream, Sep 17, 2013.

1. Base_Delta_Zero

Base_Delta_Zero Commodore Commodore

Seriously? Who would even want to make the movie at this point. If I was Diesel, I'd just say it's over. My best friend dies in a car wreck while a movie about cars we're making together is in production so now they have to figure out what to do with his character? Fuck that noise. Close production. Eat the loss of revenue and move on to something else. Doing anything else would be epically tasteless and beyond lame.

Kill his character off-screen? Tasteless Fail

Happy ending off-screen? Lame Fail

Recast and reshoot? Epic Fail

2. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Movie contracts don't have a "my best friend just died" clause. If the studio wants to keep making movies Vin Diesel has to make them or break his contract, which is costly and won't make him look good.

3. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

<<Seriously? Who would even want to make the movie at this point. >>

Fast Six Box Office: 789 million
    Fast Five Box Office: 626 million
    Fast Four Box Office: 363 million

The studios, of course! :)

4. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

You have to have some perspective. If someone dies at work due to some industrial accident, they don't shut down the business for good. It's a damn shame that Walker died so young, but life has to go on. Should all of Roger Rodas' business ventures be cancelled too?

5. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Insurance would eliminate any loss of revenue in this case, but obviously Universal is going to push forward in some fashion. The Fast & Furious series is their most profitable active franchise, and it will continue, without Walker. I have no idea what Diesel or the rest want to do, but you can bet that if he or others didn't show up for work Universal would sue them for breach of contract, and win.

6. Data Holmes

Data Holmes Admiral Admiral

Terrance Howard agrees

7. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm just guessing here, as I didn't know the guy, but from what I've heard of Walker's character I doubt he'd have agreed with you. From all indications, he really enjoyed being part of the franchise, which was not only up his alley - he was a fast-car aficionado before being cast in the first movie - but a great job for many crew members he spent years working with. Granted, production employees with that kind of experience would probably still find work if the whole franchise was shut down, but not necessarily with each other, and not necessarily for as much money. If he'd been paralyzed but survived, Christopher Reeve-style, it wouldn't surprise me one bit if he endorsed the recasting option. You're making a lot of wild guess assumptions here.

8. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

This is not how the real world works.

Eat the loss of the revenue? :lol:

Diesel isn't going to say "Fuck this, I'm going home." because he's a professional.

In any other project in any other profession in the world, if someone involved tragically dies before it's complete, the others just don't say "Aww shucks," and give up. They bring someone else in to finish the job and honor his memory the best they can.

Nice try, but this post is epic fail.

9. Star Wolf

Star Wolf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't think so even though because of the money we are talking about an instant gut wrenching decision. Just this summer we had the story of James Hunt willing to risk his life for that title or just to beat a horribly burned Nikki Lauda. From all reports it seems as if Paul Walker was living a fast and furious lifestyle minus the armed robberies and the risk taken could and did end in his death. It would almost a PSA to have Brian die in just an accident as a result of his hobby.

I think however rather then an accident they may combine his story with Han's. And the team goes for revenge. The question then becomes will O'Conner be killed before Dom travels to Japan to meet the Drift King or after as a team member lost during the mission. And I guess that is dependent upon how much they have shot already.

10. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

Without Fast and Furious, Universal could easily cease to exist. They HAVE to continue, and as contracts were signed, they can ensure that they do.

Besides, without any of us actually knowing Paul Walker, how can we say what he'd want. He may well have been the sort of guy who'd be horrified if they pulled the plug.

Use what they can, film around it, use stand-ins and a little CGI. Kill off the character. Do it in as good taste as possible and dedicate the movie to him.

Give a percentage to his foundation...

11. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

If the rights can be had, I might suggest the title Fast and Furious: Vanishing Point
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vanishing_Point_(1971_film)

You would have flashbacks to whatever the plot was in the unfinished film, with exposition. The film would end rather like Vanishing Point, with Walker being made a mythic hero.

This has been done before, with the movie Targets: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Targets

Footage was used from another film to great effect.

12. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Also in the news: The internet melts down the other day when rumors start that Justin Bieber would replace Walker in the franchise.

13. Roshi

Roshi Admiral Admiral

Looks like the studio is even considering an alternate route with Walker's brother as a stand in:

Dark Horizons

14. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

Pretty much my thoughts. It's hard to "take advantage" of the real life death of an actor but it could serve the purpose of the movie which was apparently already a revenge story but the stakes will be so much higher when it's one of the main actors who gets killed (even though Han is my favorite 2nd tier character).

15. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

'Fast & Furious 7' Writer Working on Fitting Send-off for Paul Walker

16. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

Any news yet ?

17. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

There wouldn't be a meltdown if it ended like this. :lol:

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0zx3N4lOt0[/yt]

18. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

19. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

20. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Yeah, interesting fanwork, but they got the car wrong at the bottom. Brian prefers a Nissan Skyline GTR to Dom's Charger.