Power Rangers

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by SG-17, Aug 7, 2010.

1. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I thought we'd seen footage of them battling in Ranger costumes. It's been a long time, though.

2. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

How long did Bulk & Skull stick around?

I think the last episode I watched was when Kat joined. I thought it was weird the first time when Jason, Zack and Trini got replaced (Because they got jobs in the UN! Pfft, were all the departures like that?). My 11 year old self had no idea the show would go on replacing the entire cast for a new crop of nine year olds every year.
    \

3. Chris3123

Chris3123 Vice Admiral Admiral

Both of them were part of the main cast for the first 6 seasons, all the way through PR In Space. Bulk stuck around as part of the main cast for one more season, PR Lost Galaxy (though only in 4 episodes), with Skull only appearing briefly in the first episode as a guest star.

They both returned to the show for a cameo in the 10th Anniversary episode "Forever Red".

Bulk returned as a member of the main cast in 2011 in PR Samurai, and its second year PR Super Samurai. Skull made an appearance in the last episode of Super Samurai.

As far as mid-show departures go, no, none that I can recall were as dumb and contrived as that World Peace Conference nonsense. ;)

4. cylkoth

cylkoth Commodore Commodore

Bulk and Skull lasted as a duo until the end of In Space. Then, in the first episode of Lost Galaxy, had Bulk and the Professor at the airport to fly to Terra Venture, realizing they were forgetting something-Skull, whose alarm clock never when off. Bulk however, wasn't in LG much...he wound up managing a Ten Forward type lounge on the TV, and I don't recall the Prof showing up again until the end of the season.
    The duo were reunited for the anniversary episode ''Forever Red'' during the Wild Force season, and once more again during Samurai.

Edit-missed it by that much! Christopher posted while I was writing...:)

5. Christopher

^That wasn't me.

I always wondered how Bulk got home from Mirinoi.

6. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

So do all of the PR series all take place in the same universe? I've never watched it since the first series back when I was a kid, and I had assumed each time the title changed it was a totally different story and universe.

7. Chris3123

There is some disagreement about whether RPM took place in the same universe as the other shows, but otherwise all the rest of the seasons undeniably take place in the same universe. (Though Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: The Movie does not, for a number of reasons).

In the RPM/Samurai teamup episode of the previous incarnation of PR (Samurai), the Red RPM ranger came from "another dimension". This would seem to confirm the already existing belief some had that RPM was in its own separate continuity, though some still think that RPM does take place in the same universe as the rest, and that the Red RPM ranger we saw in that teamup episode was an alternate version from a different universe (The fact that RPM Red was acting out of character certainly supports the latter).

And to add more fuel to the fire, RPM rangers can be seen in behind the scenes shots of the filming of next year's Legend War battle.

As for me personally, I had believed that RPM was in an alternate universe, but the RPM rangers being present in the mega teamup next year is giving me doubts.

8. Stephen!

Stephen! Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Saban obviously didn't approve of this, having cut it from this weeks episode

[​IMG]

9. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

That seems like it would be easy to explain. The Red RPM Ranger already traveled dimensions in PR Samurai (I only saw it once, but I'm 99% certain that they did say he was from another dimension, and not just the future). I'm assuming some ranger or ranger ally in the normal universe has the tech to send a message to the RPM dimension. So when the rangers in the normal universe get to the War, someone calls the RPM dimension for help. The RPM rangers grab their morphers and get to the normal universe either the same way RPM Red did (I don't really remember how they explained his way of dimension hopping), or some other way thought up by Dr. K or a smart person in the normal PR universe.

10. Christopher

What struck me about this episode was that the Aurora Box ended up on top of the Tokyo Metropolitan Government Building, which is a major landmark often representing Tokyo in movies and TV. So it's amusing to see it featured so prominently in a Power Rangers episode that's supposedly set in some American city (I forget what generic-sounding name they're using this year).

The interesting thing about the "Bigs" character design is that it worked as well -- or even better, really -- upside down as it did right side up. He looked far more menacing when dangling inverted inside the Aurora Box.

The five Ultrazords merging to form a star-shaped "face" is an interesting bit of design. The new Megazord is one of the least stupid-looking ones they've had in recent years; I almost like it.

11. Chris3123

Yep. "Another dimension" were Scott's exact words.

I suppose that makes some sense, if they are really desperate for all the help they can get.

Scott (and the monster) apparently used dimension-hopping subway trains. :rolleyes:

12. kirk55555

I forgot about the subway trains :lol:

As for being desperate, if things are bad enough to call in all the retired rangers, I think they'd probably try to get everyone possible, which is why they'd go to the trouble of getting the RPM rangers to help. Now, I don't think we'll see the Phantom Ranger or even US only guys like the Titanium Ranger and Spirit Rangers (or the Phantom Ranger, who was really only around in Power Rangers), but thats probably because of using japanese footage, not having the costumes/not wanting to recreate costumes, and/or just forgetting that they exist.

13. Praetor

Praetor Vice Admiral Admiral

The Titanium Ranger has been spotted in newly filmed combined team footage, so we'll be seeing him. I don't think the Spirit Rangers or Phantom Ranger have been spotted though.

14. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

Will he get a ranger key?

15. Christopher

I tuned out of today's episode once it became clear it would be a clip show. Also, Gia was totally out of character, this strong and fearless young woman suddenly turning into Shaggy when confronted with anything slightly eerie. She did look awfully nice in that witch costume, though.

16. Stephen!

Stephen! Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Apparently PRLG was supposed to have ancient rangers, but it fell through after Valerie Vernon became ill with leukemia.

http://deriksmith.livejournal.com/4099.html

17. Chris3123

Actually, the battle won't entirely be reused Sentai footage. Saban had Toei shoot some footage especially for the PR version of the battle.

18. Praetor

Praetor Vice Admiral Admiral

Not that I've seen, but I'd say it's certainly possible. If so, I suppose he'd be lumped in as an extra hero rather than a sixth ranger, since the Sixth Rangers ranks don't include him according to GokaiSilver Gold Mode's armor, which I doubt they'd change just for him.

19. kirk55555

I just got (and watched) all of the Mighty Morphin Alien Ranger DVD (I got it out of order, since besides it I only have MMPR Season 1 Parts 1 & 2) but it was cheap and I knew I’d get it eventually, so I just picked it up at wal-mart. It had its problems. Just based off of what I saw, they did not want the alien rangers fighting. I think the alien rangers actually punched something (not counting the rather stupid “punching air” moments to go along with their zord fights) twice, maybe. Mostly they did more of the stupid slapstick that the kid actors were doing. It was bizarre, because not even the very, very young kid targeted Samurai or Mega Force (from what I’ve seen of them, I never did get more than a few episodes into either) seemed to have tried so hard to not include any fighting. I don’t know if they were trying to appease parents by basically eliminating the violence while the rangers were kids or something, but I doubt you could find another 10 episode run in the whole series with less actually fighting.

Most of the child actors replacing the main cast were ok. The only outright bad one I thought was the girl playing the young Katherine. She was a bit more annoying than the others, and frankly a bit hard to understand at times. Besides that, the others were usually tolerable, although I’m glad Billy became an adult again after only a few episodes. The alien rangers themselves were ok. I didn’t like the general lack of action (and they obviously had enough Kakuranger footage, but they only used it in mostly nonviolent scenes, like when the blue ranger ran on water or the beginning of a fight, but not the fight itself, with a witch themed monster) and the whole twitching the heads thing was a bit annoying, but they were an interesting idea. The command center’s destruction is just as cool at it was when I first saw it, it’s a really good scene that must have been intense for fans watching when it aired on TV. Overall, this was a worthwhile purchase, even if it wasn’t the best that MMPR had to offer.

One thing was weird is that I’d seen parts of these episodes before. I had an old VHS for years (I think it was called zeo quest). I watched it so many times that its practically burned into my brain. While I figured most of it would be on the MMAR DVD, what I didn’t know was that the VHS was actually a compilation of the second five episodes of the disc, only edited to only include the Zeo quest and command center destruction scenes from those episodes, while editing out the individual plots of the episodes and almost all of the alien ranger’s scenes. I always thought that the kid’s zeo quests took up a few episodes along with the CC destruction plot, but apparently both were spread over about five episodes. It was weird but cool to finally see the full episodes, and it made watching stuff I knew very well interesting by finally seeing everything. The vHS also included their becoming the Zeo rangers, but obviously that wasn’t going to be on the MMAR DVD.

I definitely want to get more of the DVD’s. I have all of season one (I’m watching the second part right now, I’m on episode 41). I watched a good amount of PR on a local channel when I was a kid, but its been years and they aired it kind of weirdly. I’m not super familiar with Season 2 and I don’t think I’ve seen more than a few episodes of Season three, so it will be interesting when I get to them. I’m also waiting and hoping we get Lost Galaxy on DVD sometime next year (I need my favorite series on dVD, it sucks to have to wait so long for it.)

20. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

The Zyuranger cast will make a cameo in next years VS movie "Kyoryugers VS Go-busters"

http://www.tokunation.com/showthread.php?t=63390

[​IMG]

Abaranger(DinoThunder) has not been confirmed/announced. A trio of Dino teams would be awesome but I think it would be too crowded

This movie can have up to 26 rangers making an appearance

6 Zyurangers
    5 Go-busters
    10 Kyoryugers

Also a special special cameo from the newest team Tokkyuger's