The Hunger Games: Catching Fire

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Dream, Apr 15, 2013.

1. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

New trailer has been released

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyPnQw_Lqds[/yt]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyPnQw_Lqds

Looking good. The second book was the best in the series so hopefully that will translate to best movie in this franchise.

2. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

It looks pretty good. I have to say I struggle with the premise of teens killing teens but the first movie was done very well. I look forward to seeing the next movie.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2013
  3. Alpha Romeo

Alpha Romeo Vice Admiral Admiral

Just watched the first one and really enjoyed it. Looking forward to this.

4. Greylock Crescent

Greylock Crescent Adventurer Admiral

Love the trailer. I'm glad to see that they are continuing to expand the narrative beyond Katniss' perspective. I really ought to re-read these sometime soon.

5. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

I found the first one a little lackluster but this trailer was very impressive.

6. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I haven't read the books yet, but I really enjoyed the first movie, so I'm looking forward to this one. The trailer was pretty great. I waited to see the first one on DVD, and kind of regretted it. I'll definitely be seeing this one in theaters. I plan on trying to read at least the first two books before this come out.

7. DevilEyes

DevilEyes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Technically, they're calling it a "teaser trailer". The footage in it only covers the first 1/3 of the book. A full theatrical trailer should be released later.

If you don't manage to read Catching Fire before the movie comes out, try to avoid online articles, or even IMDB summaries. They all spoil the big twist that comes halfway through. Lionsgate has so far tried to avoid spoiling it in their promos, but the media don't care about that.

I'm very happy with how this looks like and what they're focusing on. Philip Seymour Hoffman's role is expanded just as I expected it to be. One of the things I liked best about the first movie are the added scenes outside of Katniss' POV, explaining Snow's and Seneca's reasoning. Here they work really well since they explain Snow's motives better than the book does (in the book, we can only guess at what his real plans and motives are, since Katniss isn't aware of them herself). Suzanne Collins worked on the outline for the script with Francis Lawrence, just as she did with Gary Ross in the first movie, so there's no doubt that all the additions are approved by her (or maybe even her ideas).

Although maybe the villainous muhahaha was a bit too much. ;)

Other than that, there seem to be only some slight deviations from the book, which I won't get into, but the most important scenes come straight from the book. The riot scenes look great. It seems that Francis Lawrence might have drawn some inspiration from the Arab Spring, Egypt specifically:

[​IMG]

8. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I just wanted to let anyone who is interested know that they have marked down the Hunger Games book for the Nook 49%. The Hunger Games is $6.50US and the other two are $9.50US. I just picked up THG and I'll probably start it once I finish one of the other books I'm reading. I've been in the mood for a of a post-apocalyptic dystopia type story, so hopefully this will scratch that itch.

9. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I started the book just a little while after that post, and I'm loving it so far, but I do have one question.
    Has any of the background material ever said how far in the future the series is set?

10. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

I read the first two books and really liked them, but the movie toned down the violence so much that it undercut a lot of the tension, and made it all feel just a little too safe and tame for my taste. It never really felt like Katniss was truly at risk like in the books.

And broadening the perspective beyond Katniss's POV removed a lot of what made the books unique as well, I thought.

11. DevilEyes

No, but it has to be at least several hundred years into the future, after a series of global natural disasters had changed the face of the Earth and destroyed the previous civilization. Panem is situated in what is remaining of North America. We don't know how long Panem has existed in its current form, but it must have been (much) more than a century - since the first rebellion of the 13 districts against the Capitol was squashed at least 74 years before the events of the first movie/

Broadening the perspective beyond Katniss' POV added a lot to the movie itself and the overall story, and made it a good complement to the books as well as a better movie on its own. Movies should not be books on tape with pictures, otherwise, what's the point of even making them?

(Sorry for double posting, but I believe that videos tend to disappear from the post when you edit it.)

12. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

.... And already yanked.

13. DevilEyes

From Youtube. It's still on Yahoo!Movies: http://www.thehob.org/2013/07/the-new-catching-fire-trailer-is-here.html

(Trekker's post was in response to my post that I deleted when I saw that the video was not showing.) So, this is the new trailer, or the first theatrical trailer as they're calling it, since the first one was called "teaser trailer" (because it covered the first 1/3 of the book/movie, I guess).

14. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

15. DevilEyes

^ I was thinking "Hey, something's odd with this video..." about a half a minute in, before I realized it was that thing where they post the "mirror" version of the video in hope it wouldn't be taken down. :lol: We'll see how that works out. For the time being, Lionsgate is only letting Yahoo!Movies release it online, so they'll probably take this one down soon, too.

16. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Looks pretty awesome. I'm about 100 pages into THG so far, and I'm still really enjoying it.
    One change they did make in the movie that I'm kind of happy about is the toning down of Haymitch. At times in the book I thought he got a little to over the top compared to the movie.

17. Trekker4747

Gone, and I can't get any other players to work, likely due to traffic overload. I'll catch it in a few days when not everyone is trying to watch it at once.

18. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

It's silly that Lionsgate is trying to keep the second trailer exclusive. Might as well release it everywhere, so everyone can see it to build up hype. Trailers are suppose to be EASY for viewers to find, not a hassle! :p

Pacific Rim also showed great footage at Comic Con, but never released it until a few days before it the movie released. Movie nearly flopped.

19. Trekker4747

Yeah, I don't quite get it either. Isn't a GOOD thing for people to spread the trailer around to get it to as many eyes as possible? And it's hardly in the "spirit" of copyright protections (meant to ensure that the rights-holders get compensation for the distribution of their product) this piece of work is MEANT to spread around and for as many people as possible to see it.

20. DevilEyes

The one on Yahoo!Movies still works for me.

Lionsgate has a deal with Yahoo!Movies for the exclusive rights to show the trailer, but I think it's only for a few days (maybe just during the Comic Con IIRC) and then they'll release it everywhere.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2013