Who should be the Director for Star Wars Episode 7?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by PlainSimpleJoel, Oct 31, 2012.

?

The Choices (Select up to 4 only)

Poll closed Dec 30, 2012.
  1. J.J. Abrams

26.6%
  2. Jon Favreau

17.0%
  3. Duncan Jones

22.3%
  4. Rian Johnson

3.2%
  5. Sam Mendes

6.4%
  6. Edgar Wright

5.3%
  7. Neill Blomkamp

13.8%
  8. Matt Reeves

2.1%
  9. Brad Bird

31.9%
  10. Frank Darabont

7.4%
  11. David Yates

5.3%
  12. Matthew Vaughn

10.6%
  13. Alfonso Cuarón Orozco

7.4%
  14. Guillermo Del Toro

19.1%
  15. Ridley Scott

13.8%
  16. Other (say whom)

33.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. stj

stj Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It doesn't matter nearly as much who the director is because the director doesn't have to be the studio's point man for all artistic decisions. In the end what matters the most is the script. I nominate Kim Stanley Robinson for script, with Lucas producing and a director who can manage to keep the acting on track despite dealing with huge FX, Robert Zemeckis or Ron Howard or Brad Bird or Steven Spielberg.

Also, the really really important question is, who does the score? John Williams is a great composer but the series is getting older. Age has made him less reliably great, I fear, as well. I'm thinking Brian Tyler, or Danny Elfman if he's explicitly instructed to avoid Burtonism. But maybe Dave Arnold?

2. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

Thanks for the correction. :borg:

Sorry, your humor didn't exactly come through. I wasn't sure if you were being sarcastic or serious.

3. Mach5

Mach5 Admiral Admiral

I say Micheal Giacchino. He's got that sorta vintage style, and his work on Super 8 was somewhat reminiscent of Williams'.

My #2 choice would be Jeremy Soule, the composer of the first KOTOR OST. Fans of the game love him, I think. And he really is good.

4. Garak

Garak Cruisin' Premium Member

I'm as familiar with his material as his fat ass is with two plane seats every time he travels. Probably the most overrated hack of our time. Awful suggestion, you should be ashamed of yourself.

5. Mach5

Mach5 Admiral Admiral

Clearly, you have no idea what the fuck you're talking about.

Not sure if sarcasm. :shifty:

6. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

And Skyrim.

7. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

Brad Bird is very talented and he has exactly the right kind of sensibility for this.

8. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Didn't see Whedon on the list, so I voted for Abrams.

9. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

It's good to see that Other is still winning. I've liked every Other film I've ever seen.

10. Kegg

Kegg Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Although in all likelihood he will be. Someone could be considered the auteur for this thing, and that's probably the director, although one can argue about that issue re: ESB until the cows come home.

Speaking of ESB, I'm pretty sure that's the last time a professional SF writer was involved in penning the script to a Star Wars film, although apparently little to none of Leigh Brackett's contributions actually made it to the movie. There might be something to be said for getting a SF writer particularly one with a yen for space opera (though probably - for reasons that he's made pretty explicit - not David Brin), but it's just as important that this movie works as a movie, so really something with solid screenwriting credentials would be liked there... I don't know, let's say Nathan Parker or Ben Ripley, because I'm still working on the assumption that a Duncan Jones directed Star Wars trilogy is a great idea.

You'd want someone who can write pretty solid neo-romantic classical music with leitmotifs by the bucketload. So my first thought is obviously Howard Shore.

You know that does raise an interesting point. Disney/Marvel picked Alan Taylor, a veteran TV director with Deadwood, Mad Men and Game of Thrones on his CV, as the director of Thor 2.

Now obviously as talented as Taylor may be he is not a 'name' director in the sense of anyone else here we've discussed, but the name that the studio is selling is Star Wars itself, just as nobody's expecting to audience members to go see Thor 2 because they were impressed with the Mad Men pilot.

So I don't know. It's at least possible the reigns to the franchise could be handed over to professionals with long CVs even without cultic internet fanbases.

11. jefferiestubes8

jefferiestubes8 Commodore Commodore

12. Kegg

Kegg Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You know the only movie I ever saw by Ms. Hardwicke was The Nativity, which honestly was pretty good. If she can make an okay film set in first century Judea, maybe she has the chops for a Star Wars flick. But who knows, wouldn't be a personal top dick.

Skyfall was fine but the last time someone gave a Bond director the keys to a space opera franchise it was called Green Lantern.

Seriously though... they're my 'sure, alright, I can live with that' choices as opposed to the dream picks of Blomkamp, del Toro or Jones.

13. T'Baio

T'Baio Admiral Admiral

Rumours are starting to circulate that the Damon Lindelof and Brad Bird's top secret project "1952" that they recently, supposedly, "brought to Disney" and was intended as a tentpole, franchise, theme park and merchandising extravaganza is actually Episode VII.

Brad Bird I could get behind. But Lindelof? I think I'm gonna' be sick...

14. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

15. Mach5

Mach5 Admiral Admiral

As if Star Wars hasn't been through enough shit already. :wtf:

16. tighr

tighr Commodore Commodore

Ugh. Well, I guess I'll be boycotting Episode VII, now. That dude is like the Midas touch... at first it seems golden, but then it turns into a curse.

17. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

I guess it depends if its just him or if he's part of a team of writers. I mean I didn't like what Logan did with Nemesis working alone, but he's worked with Purvis and Wade on Skyfall and for the most part it's worked out well!

18. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Commodore Commodore

I would think some of the guys who write the Clone Wars could be the one of the writers. They already have worked with Lucas personally and their work is popular.

19. Mach5

Mach5 Admiral Admiral

IIRC, Logan's script for "The Gladiator" was so bad that Russell Crowe insisted on changing a bunch of lines which he considered too stupid to say on screen. William Nicholson was eventually brought on to do a thorough rewrite, which got them an Oscar nomination.

20. T'Baio

T'Baio Admiral Admiral

:lol: That's hilarious.

Too bad the actors in Prometheus didn't do the same thing to Lindelof.