Star Trek III - The [Speculation Begins] (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Admiral Buzzkill, May 23, 2013.

1. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

What are you going to do with all those Liberace records and Gomer Pyle DVDs?

2. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator

Or classic Elton John records?

3. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

Okay, all - I think that geneo's little pet hate has had quite enough time on the soapbox. Let's make the thread about something else, beginning right now.

Star Trek III... and speculate!

4. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think it will be about Klingons. May or may not involve war with same.

5. saddestmoon

saddestmoon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Hmmm... in-between Star Trek 09 and Into Darkness, I do vaguely recall remarks (I won't say quotes, because that would imply that I remember verbatim what was said, and I don't) from either Lindelof, Abrams, or Orci (can't remember who it was exactly) in which the essence was, that Into Darkness might not have a villain, as such - rather, the obstacle / challenge being space itself... ???

With Into Darkness now been and gone, it doesn't really fit with what I'm trying very badly to describe... so I'm wondering if it could shed any light on the next movie (perhaps)...

:confused: Sorry for an absolutely vague suggestion of a obscure (and unreferenced remark)... I distinctly remember being rather intrigued by the comments, so my apologies for not actually bringing to the table a solid quotable quote...

Does anyone remember hearing anything like this?

If so, I'd appreciate any help you could provide, on shedding light on this rather hazy recollection of mine... otherwise I do believe I might have been recalling conversations that never actually occurred! :crazy:

6. StarMan

StarMan Vice Admiral Admiral

Your recollections are pretty close to the mark, if I myself recall correctly.

7. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I remember it too - something about space itself or nature being the enemy. It never materialized in the last film (unless they were referring to the gravity failing when the Enterprise fell to Earth?), let's hope we get something like that in 2016.

8. Kruezerman

Kruezerman Commodore Commodore

If it is space itself or something like a force of nature, could it be V'ger? Or a Queen-less Borg?

9. Yeoman Basha

Yeoman Basha Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I think those remarks about space/nature being the enemy were simply intended as a misdirection aimed at the fans, courtesy of JJ's obsession with secrecy and surprise. Not unlike when Karl Urban "accidentally" let it slip that Cumberbatch was playing Gary Mitchell in STID. Just another red herring.

War with the Klingons. Tragic romance with Carol Marcus (in the end she takes the kid and leaves). Maybe the return of Khan and/or repercussions from Kirk's blood transfusion from Khan. That's my call.

10. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

They meant the blank space on a notebook page labeled "ORIGINAL IDEAS".

11. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

12. M'Sharak

I remember it also, and I think the comments might have come from Orci. However, this would have been very early on in the process of developing a story for what eventually became Star Trek Into Darkness, and as I recall it the notion of obstacle/challenge being a natural phenomenon/space itself (as opposed to a villain character) was only one of a number of possible story ideas being kicked around at the time. I didn't (and still don't) get any sense of an intent to deceive or misdirect, just that they ultimately ended up going with character villain(s) instead.

13. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

He also got a list of possible villains, where Khan was not included, and stated that one of those was definitely in it.

Either they completely rewrote the script on a daily basis, or he is just a lying dude. I don't get why he would feel the need to play those kind of games with fans.

14. M'Sharak

15. Yeoman Basha

Yeoman Basha Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I didn't remember the comments in question, so I didn't know they were made very early in the writing process. Of course it's very possible they were just kicking around different ideas and seriously considered having that type of "villain" in STID. Then again, this group is so obsessed with secrecy and surprising the audience that it's not far-fetched to think they would resort to deliberate misdirection. Which is why I have a healthy amount of skepticism about everything the creative team says about any upcoming Trek film.

There are just so many threads left open from STID, it's hard for me to believe the writers will go with a completely new story. This line in particular stands out to me:

"War is coming! And who's going to lead us? You?"

But of course anything is possible.

16. M'Sharak

Nothing wrong with skepticism; I'm skeptical of a lot of things myself. With J.J., however, the focus seems to be less on keeping secrets and more about not letting the audience in on something before it's time for them to know - always keep them wondering, and even at the end of the story there might be a few things left untold.

Anything, indeed, but I think you're probably right in figuring that at least a few leftover threads will get picked up again for the next one.

17. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

From IMDB:

Screenwriters Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzman explained that the dilemma for the sequel was whether to pit the crew against another villain, or to have an "exploration sci-fi plot where the unknown and nature itself is somehow an adversary", like in "Star Trek"

18. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

Would have been interesting if they could have pulled it off. Sounds like it was just too problematic to accomplish, though. That is, provided it wasn't some information smoke screen in the first place.

19. Cyrus

Cyrus Vice Admiral Admiral

The comment came in an interview right after the first movie was released in June 2009:
    http://trekmovie.com/2009/06/20/orci-kurtzman-talk-star-trek-sequel-and-the-one-after-that-too/

20. saddestmoon

saddestmoon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Those are the comments! :techman: Thanks to everyone here who could recall the references, and supply the quotes - very much appreciated! And helping establish that I wasn't imagining things! :hugegrin:

Interesting to read - and it still raises the possibility of Trek 3 being a different type of movie again from the first two (perhaps going with this 'space as the villian' theme).

Considering Into Darkness ends with the 5-year mission beginning, I think we might see something of this 'non-villian' space exploratory obstacle plot instead (pure speculation of course) - and would encapsulate more of abrams take on the TOS context of the mission perhaps...