Galileo Restoration Update - February 2013

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Search4, Mar 8, 2013.

1. bbailey861

bbailey861 Admiral Admiral

Certainly good enough. for me

2. feek61

feek61 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yes, there is original wood framing and skin(masonite) left. The original skin was mostly the back under the impulse engine where the hatches were located. It is in too bad of condition to use but it is being saved.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2013
  3. CaptainDave1701

CaptainDave1701 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Hey Feek!....I just wanted to say thanks again for all of your TOS graphics work....Great Stuff!

4. feek61

^
    Thanks for noticing, lol. Much appreciated!

5. MarsWeeps

MarsWeeps Fleet Captain Premium Member

I never noticed that extra metal frame at the front left. It appears related to the movable doors. I guess that would be one reason why they couldn't attempt a smaller internal restoration, that frame would stick out like a sore thumb.

6. feek61

Yes, the steel frame by the door is on both side of the hatch and sticks inside as you can see a good bit. There is no question that this was meant to only be shot from the exterior, lol.

7. mos6507

mos6507 Commodore Commodore

I don't care whether it's considered a restoration or a rebuild. I am a fan of the shuttlecraft and all, don't get me wrong, but I do know that it cost a $fortune$ just to liberate this from its prior owner and it might have been a lot cheaper to just take measurements of the frame and rebuild the frame if that's all that's going to represent the original when all is said and done. So all I asked is if there were any OTHER parts of this that will be left from the original besides the frame. When it's built, you won't see the frame. The frame will be underneath the walls, and so as a historical document, it doesn't present much of an exhibit to only see recreated parts. If the landing gear or other pieces are original, then that makes a difference.

8. CaptainDave1701

CaptainDave1701 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Well......As far as restorations go perhaps you can get a feel as to where we are coming from here with the information provided in the links I am providing.

http://www.sasmuseum.com/restoration/

http://www.museumofflight.org/collections/aircraft-restoration

http://www.aerodynamicaviation.com/aircraft_restoration.php

9. MarsWeeps

MarsWeeps Fleet Captain Premium Member

I don't know for sure, but I'm guessing that the metal frame, nacelles and the rear landing strut are probably all that's left from the original. It's possible the doors might be original too.

10. Galileo7

Galileo7 Commodore Commodore

Agree.:vulcan:

11. arch101

arch101 Commodore Commodore

I visited USS Constitution again after her last major restoration (which was extensive). I asked one of the Navy workmen just how much of the original ship is still here? He said very little but it's still the Constitution and where can you go to see another one?

12. Keith1701

Keith1701 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I really like your profile picture.....Way to Go!