Is Joss Whedon's 'Ripper' still being made?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by I am not Spock, Aug 28, 2008.

1. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

If you look fast, he also pops up briefly at the end of Woody Allen's "Scoop" as a police inspector.

2. Dark Gilligan

Dark Gilligan Writer Fleet Captain

I hear Tony is making a series of coffee commercials. Oops, my bad, wrong decade. :)

3. grabmygoblin

grabmygoblin Commodore Commodore

he's also in Sweeney Todd for a moment, which made me giggle far too much.

if no real action is made with a filmed version of Ripper within a couple years, I hope Whedon lets Dark Horse publish it as a graphic novel.

4. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

So, "Invisibles" isn't getting a second season? That sucks! :scream:

5. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

Well there's been no word yet, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's been cancelled.

6. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

I was watching that with a buddy, and I said "Dude, it's Giles." At which point he flipped out and had to run it back to confirm. We're both big Buffy fans.:lol:

7. chardman

chardman Vice Admiral In Memoriam

I think Joss should pow wow with Russel Davies about a tie-in with Torchwood.

There's already a working relationship there (Head narrates "Dr Who Confidential among other things).

I figure the regular Torchwood folk are great at dealing with alien and technological threats, but are really out of their element when dealing with "occult" threats. My idea is they contact the Watchers for help during such a crisis, and Giles is assigned to them as a part-time consultant.

He'd guest star as needed, and this would let BBC test the waters, (and see how the character plays outside the Buffyverse) without first having to commit the money into tooling up for an entirely new series. Ideally, the character would prove popular enough that the Beeb would feel sufficiently reassured about the "Ripper" concept to give the character his own spin-off.

8. CommodoreKong

CommodoreKong Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That would be cool, but from what I remember aliens don't exist in the Buffyverse and magic (at least how it exists in the Buffyverse) doesn't exist in the Whoverse.

9. Trent Roman

Trent Roman Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Giles didn't seem to have any problems with the notion of aliens in "Listening to Fear", even if it turned out to be a Queller demon.

Fictitiously yours, Trent Roman

10. grabmygoblin

grabmygoblin Commodore Commodore

I wouldn't want an official crossover, but a winkwink kind of one would be funny, where Giles shows up to help with a case as a paranormal expert, but his name is never actually given.

11. CommodoreKong

CommodoreKong Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Okay maybe aliens don't exist is a bad choice of words. More like they don't seem to regularly visit Earth like on Doctor Who.

12. chardman

As Trent said, the possibility of aliens is acceptable within the Buffyverse, and while Torchwood is undeniably tied to the Whoniverse, it has its own rules which are slightly looser. They've already done at least one episode of Torchwood that directly dealt with the paranormal, so that's that.

And the whole reason for introducing Giles to Torchwood in the first place, is to (re)introduce the audience to the actual "Ripper" character, so anything less than Head openly appearing as Giles/Ripper would be kind of pointless.

Granted, I don't think it could happen, but I still think it would be cool. I've thought so since the very first episode of Torchwood, when they explained the rift, and I thought it sounded very much like the Buffyverse description of Sunnydale's hellmouth, except temporal rather than dimensional.

13. darkwing_duck1

darkwing_duck1 Vice Admiral

Unfortunately, I don't see this ever being made...the PTB in entertainment have put Joss in the "yesterday's news" file and seem content to leave him there...

14. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

^Umm, what?

They've given him Doctor Horrible's Singalong Blog (a muscial), they're letting him do a brand new TV show "Dollhouse" with plenty of familiar faces.

Not to mention Tiki Inc. have started a line of Buffy related statuettes that is up to about 6 models now. Those aren't cheap.

Buffy, Angel and Firefly are back now because Darkhorse and IDW comics both gave Joss a contract to continue them in individual comics and TPB's, both are outselling Marvel and DC right now.

New complete sets of all three series have been released as well as individual seasons and a new collection combining Buffy and Angel dvd's just started.

He's busier now than he's been in years with all these projects. And he is overseeing, contributing, writing for and producing for all of them.

15. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

^Well no one gave him Dr Horrible, it was an independent production/self produced.

16. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Fair enough, but look how popular its proving, nearly every board I go to has threads with fans going on about it. And this was after he'd already been given Dollhouse.

Still plenty of Whedon fans out there for projects with him involved to be profitable and popular.

17. chardman

Well, as several people have pointed out, Joss' stuff isn't old news. He's doing pretty good for himself, and is back in demand.

Also, keep in mind that TPTB in the UK entertainment industry, specifically those connected to the non-commercial BBC, have completely different values/concerns than do their almost-strictly-for-profit American counterparts.

"Ripper" is by no means a dead concept. It could still easily happen.

Moreover, it seems RTD is a huge fan of Joss' work and claims that the Buffyverse was sort of the inspiration for Torchwood, so I guess my idea for a Torchwood / Ripper crossover isn't completely unimaginable after all. http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/cult/a38295/davies-buffy-angel-inspired-torchwood.html

Last edited: Aug 31, 2008
  18. Lindley

Lindley Moderator with a Soul Premium Member

Well, yeah, it was pretty obvious from Day One.....err....well, "Everything Changes", actually....that Jack was doing a serious Angel impression.

Actually one of the things that hurt Torchwood's credibility in the first year was that it was so obviously trying to be the Angel to Who's Buffy, but also so obviously falling short. In year 2 they started taking themselves less seriously, and that really helped the feel of the show get past that comparison.

19. Ethros

Ethros Vice Admiral Admiral

Torchwood was "sort of" inspired by the Buffyverse? :lol:

Series 1 Episode 2 of Torchwood
    Series 1 Episode 2 of Angel
    Hmm...

I also like how they try and ripoff Angel's LA flashcuts in between scenes, although it really doesn't work with Cardiff

20. I am not Spock

I am not Spock Commodore Commodore

True that. In Torchwood season one, the parallels were blatantly obvious.

Maybe Joss should approach RTD to help produce Ripper. Although he already has enough on his plate, with Who, Torchwood, and SJA.