If you don't think Nemesis is better than Star trek 2009....

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by trek_futurist, Dec 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nightwind1

nightwind1 Commodore Commodore

I swear to God, this p'tahk reminds me so much of James Dixon, from the old FIDONET and USENET boards. If it wasn't Dixon's version of Treknology and canon, it wasn't shit.

Wonder whatever happened to that bastard?

2. archeryguy1701

archeryguy1701 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

And there we have it, ladies and gentlemen! The reason Star Trek 2009 sucked: They took liberties with a fictional chain of command! The bastards!!

Also, to go along with your gripe that old Trek used scientific advisors... I hate to break it to you, but new Trek did too. And she apparently knows sciencey stuff too.

3. MasuPu'a

MasuPu'a Lieutenant Red Shirt

"pitiable attempt at acting, character scenes, were gap fillers between the films real motivation, action, explosions and retarded humor that wasn't funny at all."

Wow, that describes Nemesis to a T.

Character development? What character development? Unless character regression counts, where we see Picard engage in a pointless dune buggy race. Troi still the most useless character on the ship, her sad attempt at being a functional crewmember resulting from a vile psychic rape scene (again, another pointless scene). Oh, and Picard decides to beam over to Shinzon's ship personally because "it's something he has to do." Not because it's the most logical decision, no Picard makes a stupid decision based on a stupid reason.

It reminds me of Firefly, when Mal had been captured and tortured by Niska, and was fighting Niska's heavy. Zoe and Co. come up and see the badly injured captain fighting for his life, and Zoe tells the crew to back off because this is 'something the captain has to do.' Mal immediately shouts, "No, it's not." So Zoe shoots the heavy...because that was the sensible thing to do.

Plot movement; the plot plods along with Shinzon shitting around for no reason. Supposedly this guy has a deadline for medical reasons, but decides to invite Picard over for a face-off, then has dinner, then farts around some more for no reason. Because he has all the time in the world :rolleyes:

All of the actors looked as if they were tired of making Trek films. The movie was filled with plot holes (like I'm supposed to expect that a slave caste of mutants who spend their entire lives mining can build the most advanced warship with a perfect cloak, along with a doomsday device, and no one suspects a thing...what did they build this thing out of, rocks? And if they were shipping in mass amounts of expensive materials where did they get the money? And how did the rest of the Romulans not notice?). And I love the cop-out at the end. Like, they didn't even have the balls to kill of Data for good. No, we get a loose thread at the end that insinuates that someday, Data will be back. So maybe that's your character development right there. Data blows himself up and is reincarnated.

4. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Seriously. Science fiction is way more intense than I realized.

Now, let's use relativistic physics to explain why Tom Paris turned into a lizard when he went too fast!

5. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

This is the one question I'm waiting for trek_futurist to answer with scientific theory!

What is the plausible scientific theory for humans turning into lizards after hitting infinite speed?

6. trek_futurist

trek_futurist Lieutenant Commander

No. just because a number of people are not stating their opinions, does not mean they don't exist. I have spoken with them, and a lot of people who hated this film do not chime in on forums like this.

Okay let's not beat around the bush anymore. I am a generation Y'er.

And as such I have, in the course of my life, taken notice of how demographics don't really matter with this generation as it did with previous ones, primarily because you are dealing with a multitude of mediums for one, and secondly with a tendency for a lot of people of my generation to go out and see just about anything, as long as it is hyped, action packed and filled with colorful bombast. And you would be surprised at how many of these people want nothing to do with star trek. They do not recognize this as a star trek movie, they recognize it as a summer blockbuster in the same basic category as transformers and other films of a similar ilk. THAT is why this film 'did well'. But in the abstract it failed miserably.

Because the vast majority of people who saw this film didn't have anything substantial to say about it after they saw it. There was no analysis of it, no dialectical exchanges between scholars on it, no observation of character analysis (because the characters sucked). And this is actually unprecedented in star trek history. Never before this has a star trek film generated so much 'omg that was colorful, loud and wow, btw who's coming with me to see transformers next weekend?' than this one did. Most of the reviews praising this pile of junk do not explain what they are actually praising. It is pathetic.

It was film goers who mainly care about summer block busters. It had nothing to do with star trek and everything to do with consumption of pop corn and soda by the increasingly fat masses.

This is not a discussion of financial success, it is a discussion of what constitutes real trek. Justin bieber makes a lot of money too, does that make him the most talented musician ever? Hardly anywhere close to it.

The simple fact of the matter is that there are two breeds of people, those who need to be catered to, and have things handed to them in a colorful, loud bombastic package, or else they reach boredom very quickly (I.E those with pathetically short attention spans) and those who do not see numbers as indicative of anything, but more the abstract philosophical principles as being the heart of a movement.

Star trek has always been a niche market. A fringe development. Transforming it into something that will please the masses is just ripping its essence away from it and sequestering it to generic science fiction filmdom. It doesn't mean anything when it is a mass market development to the degree the latest film was. Which is not to say that it did not have some degree of mass appeal before, but it was always a amalgam of attracting the fringe and the masses in fairly equal numbers. Star trek 2009 attracted mainly the summer blockbuster going masses, primarily because it was not star trek, but starship troopers with the star trek moniker.

7. BillJ

Have you ever done any research as to why TOS used the brightly colored uniforms and all the blinky lights? It was to sell color TV's. NBC was owned by TV manufacturer RCA at the time.

8. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Trust me, the studios wanted all the Trek films to be blockbusters. They weren't going for a niche market. The guys at NBC, Paramount and UPN weren't look for niche TV shows either.

9. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Blinky lights are made by science, so it's fine. Plus, the colored uniforms represent the tolerance of colored people and other minorities.

10. BillJ

You mean they were making Star Trek to make money and not to enlighten the feeble masses? I'm shocked! :eek:

11. trek_futurist

If some of you are convinced that star trek was only made to make money, and not introduce anything to the viewer, what are you on this forum to discuss?

12. BillJ

Because it was a great TV show before it became a religion.

I don't like the new film, but even understand that it's popularity is a good thing for the franchise. It's a two-hour commercial for what came before. :techman:

13. Nerys Myk

Countless things, among which are: characters, the actors, the plots, SFX, modelmaking, fanfics, speculation, humor, the history of the show, the future of the show, the real science, the fake science....

14. trek_futurist

But that does not explain what you are here to discuss.

But why?

15. trek_futurist

To what end?

16. BillJ

Because it raises awareness of the franchise outside of the rather insular fan base.

17. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Um...discussion. It's a board for discussion.

18. BillJ

To be entertained. Don't know about you but it's the reason I watch TV.

19. Nerys Myk

For enjoyment, entertainment and interaction.

20. trek_futurist

And how is that good for the franchise, other than financial gain? What is the meaningful correlative that makes 'the franchise' important to the masses?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.