Okuda's Text Commentaries

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Extrocomp, Sep 5, 2008.

1. Extrocomp

Extrocomp Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I mostly have Star Trek on VHS so I haven't watched/read any of Okuda's commentaries yet. What kind of information do they contain?

2. STIntergalactic

STIntergalactic Captain Captain

Only the most amazing kind of information ever given about some of your favorite episodes of Star Trek!!!

Too bad you don't have them.

3. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

A lot of trivia, a good deal of summing up stuff from various making-of books, a small but significant amount of erroneous material (some accidental, others more following the corporate line of rethink), and some genuinely new info for those obsessed with figuring out what happened to the TMP bridge when the TNG crew moved it outdoors.

4. Rÿcher

Rÿcher Fleet Captain

they are entertaining and insightful but sometimes cliche in that he regurgitates the same old Star Trek "this reflects Star Trek's view of a better future in which humanity puts aside their differences and works toward reaching the stars...boldly going where no one has gone before" bullshit.

There's also him pointing out trivial stuff like how a Son'a word or character looks like Brak. He does that particular one over and over again. "Look, there's one, and another! And yet another!"

5. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

I for one always enjoyed reading Mike Okuda's text commentaries. I think they are quite a treat and very informative.

6. Bacl

Bacl Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Agreed. Okuda was what Star Trek needed behind the scenes; he was brilliant, obsessed with Trek, a true fan and a real sharp mind. I think they should have made his manuals cannon.

7. GeorgeKirk

GeorgeKirk Commodore Commodore

Actually, they kind of were, inasmuch as the TNG Tech manual started it's life as a behind-the-scenes reference document for the writers.

8. JHoffman555

JHoffman555 Ensign Red Shirt

I'm guessing you are saying the need to point it out over and over again is bullsh*t, not the sentiment. Least I hope so

9. Rÿcher

Rÿcher Fleet Captain

both to varying degrees.